Sponsored by:

The Club @ Lime Rock Park

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:19 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The Club @ Lime Rock Park

OK how do we all feel about this little project? I personally do not have $100,000 to spend on a 50 year membership. How do ya'll think this will affect our DE schedule for 2008? This concept works for places like Miller and Barber but LRP?? I want it to succeed, I really do since LRP is my home away from home, I've been going since I was 2 yrs old. But it all just seems like a desperate attempt to 'get rich quick' in the process giving the ones who can afford it, an all access pass and shutting out the club guys.

OK I'm getting off of it now Thoughts, input, feedback?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Lime Rock has discussed a little about the plans for renting the track provided the Lime Rock Park Club happens. Here is what they have said so far:

1) The days that are rented to the clubs will be cut in half. So, for the approximately 60 days they rent the track to car clubs, they will now rent only 30 days.
2) Fridays and Saturdays will be reserved for the Lime Rock Park Club. So, for Regions like CVR who currently have Friday and Saturday, they will not next year.
3) On the days the Lime Rock Park Club operates, it is possible, due to attendance, that they may give the option to share the track with a club at a reduced rate. Details unknown yet.
4) Open pipe days are every Tuesday with an agreement with the town. They are looking to move the day to Thursday so they can run the Lime Rock Park Club events Thurs - Sat. Requires town approval.
5) Skip Barber School rents the track for 1/2 what the clubs rent and the lease is good for another 7 years.
6) If the Lime Rock Park Club model is successful, don't expect to get additional days until the Skip Barber School lease is up.
7) I think the price to pave the track properly was $8 - $12m

I'm going to opine that LRP has a minimum number of memberships that they must sell to move to the new schedule and if they don't meet that minimum number then they will return to the current model.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Shaking my head, I hear the bulldozers getting ready to put in the condos. I can't imagine any regions will rent the track for a couple short Monday-thursday sessions, and I can't imagine any drivers will shell out a boat full of dollars for a less interesting track without facilities, closed on sundays.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Geoffrey has it pretty correct. Rumor has it that they are focusing on point #3 as the best way to co-exist. So much so that plans are for a separate grid and pit lane for the club members. It'll be inside big bend and enter at the short chute before the left hander. I think what they plan to do is keep the big bend end of the A paddock and the walking bridge for club use. Members will enter and park in the outfield (where the clubhouse might be) and then walk over the bridge to their own section of paddock and pit lane. This keeps that entire side exclusive to the club. With this in place they can really execute on point #3 and possibly run one hour Lime Rock Club, one hour car club, or something like that. Car club folks should probably get used to the idea of parking in B paddock, or at least closer to it.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:49 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

New Nigerian scam

Old 08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
David K.
Pro

Originally Posted by chrisp
This keeps that entire side exclusive to the club. With this in place they can really execute on point #3 and possibly run one hour Lime Rock Club, one hour car club, or something like that. Car club folks should probably get used to the idea of parking in B paddock, or at least closer to it.
That sure does not sound like a "Private Club” someone shelling out $110,000 would expect.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:58 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by David K.
That sure does not sound like a "Private Club” someone shelling out $110,000 would expect.
But Skip promises promises PROMISES new pavement!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:21 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Makes me even more excited about Thunderbolt Raceway in NJ. So long LRP, see you in 7 years
Old 08-31-2007, 01:09 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Another funny thing is pavement won't be laid until sometime in 2009. They are trying to compete with Thunderbolt and Monticello, both of which will be A+ at the time of opening. LRP will still be running at C+.

There's a timeline of track improvements in the latest CVR Newsletter Challenge. Take a gander.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh yeah, I read it. That's what prompted my rant. About point # 3, if I just paid $100k and I have to share the track with club guys anyway, I would save $99,825 bucks and join the club........ And what's with the exclusive members own area, they can't mix with the commoners? Doesn't exactly embody the spirit of comaraderie that brings so much to our track days. LRP just isn't big enough to section up like this IMHO. This whole thing just does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

"But Skip promises promises PROMISES new pavement!!!"

And at the end of the day, he'll have 300 people enjoying the new $12,000,000 pavement 20 days a year.

Maybe I just don't take change too well..............
Old 09-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by butzip
And at the end of the day, he'll have 300 people enjoying the new $12,000,000 pavement 20 days a year.
Maybe I just don't take change too well..............
Does anyone really believe it take $12M to pave 1.5 miles? I could sell the sumbitch concrete to cover that track 1' thick for a lot less that that!! I guess if you add up all the funds he has collected over the years from PCA and other groups (repaving fee!!) it may add up to $12M.. where is the new pavement?? Let's remember he wants to be sure the track is there for 50 years.. like a bunch of SUCKERS paying him $100K+ each has ANY bearing on that!!! It's the imports that have been buying out the locals that are causing all the ****e that's going on.. is that going to stop because Skip suckered a bunch of new money people? Highly doubt it!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think the paving estimate is out of line for a proper grind and repave to the standards of say VIR.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I don't think the paving estimate is out of line for a proper grind and repave to the standards of say VIR.
I would agree that kind of $$ if it's a ground up remove/rebuild with all the proper (missing) drainage improvements engineered in. To scarify and repave smooth, no. The former is a lot of down time..
Old 09-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhm993
Shaking my head, I hear the bulldozers getting ready to put in the condos..
I don't think there will be any condos in Lime Rock.....can you say zoning board with members who don't really want or need the nasty development that comes with condos?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Right, there is a great demand for housing in that area.... look at all the condo projects flying up (they must be hidden in the cornfields). And as for the golf course threat, it would be cheaper to buy open property and start fresh than develop a race track into one..

Quick Reply: The Club @ Lime Rock Park