Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Club @ Lime Rock Park

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Gary and Willard...I dunno. I think there are lots of vacation homes just across the mass line, and expect they will travel south with time. But my real point was that I don't see the 100k option as viable at that facility.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:31 AM
95m3racer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully it won't become another Bridgehampton catastrophy...enough money can do some horrible things

We'll see what happens when they don't get even close to the 300 memberships they are looking for.

I'd say by the time spring rolls around they might have 100 memberships. I know in the first month or so after the announcement they had about 20 memberships, but I don't know if that was a number of paid memberships or people who said they are interested.

In reality, unfortunately, there are enough people in the northeast who have $100k burning a hole in their pocket that if given a good enough sales pitch, they would probably do it.

But time will tell...
Old 09-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

A couple of questions...

1) Virtually everybody I know who has driven at Lime Rock has always described it as a very bumpy track. If they repave, will they keep the bumps?

2) If the Lime Rock Club is getting all of the Friday/Saturday dates, does this spell the end to the Lime Rock club race?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple of points... As was explained to me by the Club, until 200 members put up their money (paid in full, held in escrow), nothing will be spent. That is the base minimum for the club to become real. As people put down their $500 initial deposit to review the documents, they may read the fine print and back out. There is no telling if and / or when the 200 hard member trigger will be reached. Obviously, 200 members = $20 million.

Paving - hard to tell as specifications for a race track are probably different than a town or state roadway. I pay about $300 a foot for 26' wide town / state roads to be built including curbing, structured drainage, sewer and water mains, gas, phone and cable, etc. That's ground-up, clear the land, remove unsuitable material, bring in and compact gravel and crushed stone, pave, backfill the sides, topsoil, and seed. I could see grinding LRP all the way down (saving the material for base), excavating out unsuitable material from the "old days", putting back down the ground material, and then paving... A couple of million maybe...(?)...
Old 09-03-2007, 10:12 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
I don't think there will be any condos in Lime Rock.....can you say zoning board with members who don't really want or need the nasty development that comes with condos?
Can you say the great state of Connecticut where all a builder has to do is reserve a minimal amount of "affordable" (by CT standards) units and all local zoning decisions are completely overridden? The only way to stop this override is due to a lack of water supply or septic/sewage capacity in which case the enviromental regs trump everything. Even $$$$ towns like Greenwich and New Canaan can't stop these developments, Lime Rock wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My prediction is that next year schedule for the clubs won't be affected, with CVR being able to do the Friday/Saturday events......

Do I hear any bets? Gary, I am sure you have something to add, (you always do......)
Old 09-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
My prediction is that next year schedule for the clubs won't be affected, with CVR being able to do the Friday/Saturday events......

Do I hear any bets? Gary, I am sure you have something to add, (you always do......)
+

Old 09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
+

You got me......
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If it were as you say, every zoning application in CT would use this miracle method Very few developments have been built under CT's affordable housing statute in the 10 years since it was created by the CT legislature and it remains on the books with support of our government. Yes, there are a few towns (mostly Fairfield County) where a few high-profile cases have ruffled feathers. Why was it created and does it remain? Because our own children and public servants (school teachers, fire fighters, police, etc.) cannot afford to live here in CT -- one of the highest cost of living locations in the country. Look at the statistics and you will see that the young are leaving CT in droves and not long from now our PCA chapter is going to wonder why there are no "new" members...

I just don't see any demand for any type of housing in or anywhere near Lime Rock, CT -- if you spend some time driving around the region, you'll see what I mean. On the other hand, if they were to build some high-end condos in the woods near LRP, how would that be terrible? High tax revenue for the community, no public services to speak of (no school children, private roads and utilities, etc.)...

Originally Posted by cupcar86
Can you say the great state of Connecticut where all a builder has to do is reserve a minimal amount of "affordable" (by CT standards) units and all local zoning decisions are completely overridden? The only way to stop this override is due to a lack of water supply or septic/sewage capacity in which case the enviromental regs trump everything. Even $$$$ towns like Greenwich and New Canaan can't stop these developments, Lime Rock wouldn't stand a chance.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 AM
gerry100
Pro

Will there be enough people savvy enough to have the $100K to spend on something like this while still clueless enough to want to drive LRP fo 50 years?

You could have a lot of fun at a lot of tracks for less money.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Come to Monticello. Drive all you want, all the time and no noise restrictions.

http://driveandraceclub.com/
Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I heard that the track at Montecello can be confgured into 2 smaller tracks, both larger than lime rock, or run as one large track. In addition, it is built to be run in either direction, so that effectively gives you 6 tracks to drive on...
Old 09-04-2007, 01:02 PM
lone wolf
Advanced

Don't quote me but i believe it can be configured to run at least 4 configurations and both directions! It will be awesome. Should be ready to drive July 4, 2008. Track drivers dream.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Can car clubs rent the Monticello track? Or is it going to be private only?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:22 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tt this time they are saying no, not for rent to clubs

Quick Reply: The Club @ Lime Rock Park