Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the DE Insurance questions coming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....just read what I posted before you jump on me. I was just reinforcing to Chris that I hope he can work through a documentation loop - I know several folks who he would sign up as DE customers with no problem.

You say that "how do they know it's a street car" .... they do not state that as their intention/requirement.... Where are you getting that ?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Policy Language

The Great Lakes policy I have, which I have highlighted as to the important bits, can be found HERE.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG-BRO
Wow....just read what I posted before you jump on me. I was just reinforcing to Chris that I hope he can work through a documentation loop - I know several folks who he would sign up as DE customers with no problem.

You say that "how do they know it's a street car" .... they do not state that as their intention/requirement.... Where are you getting that ?
My my Paul, you sure do have thin skin. I commented on your point and then STATED VERY CLEARLY that I understand what you were saying and even substantiated it.

Geez, some people get so offended so easily over the smallest things.

Time to unsubscribe as I don't want Chris to have his thread derailed by OT bickering.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:07 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

No offense taken.

You said "what's bad about it" - it's bad that a bunch of folks I know that would like his product are excluded..... bad for them, and bad for Chris.

It's a good discussion to understand where their requirement comes from and how Chris can hopefully work with it, or around it. He states that they want to prevent the fraud aspect of incidents happening in racing - that seems easy to prevent. But then your input about "how do they know it's a street car" comes into play - it's possible they want to stay aware from insuring more highly modified cars with big fiberglass bodies, no bumpers, etc, etc that hopefully would be caught by requiring the registration aspect. (Although that sure would vary state-to-state.)

Thanks, I'll stay subscribed and hopefully this will get discussed some more.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Paul and his point, as I am one of those caught in the requirement.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:23 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Thanks Bull.
I just pulled out my old Laurel DE policy that I used to have to remember more of the requirements - they required that a claim be accompanied with a copy of the incident report from the track / sanctioning group running the event. That gets rid of the fraud aspect of claiming an incident that happened in a racing event that Chris mentioned as being behind this requirement.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Well, I have two cars.. one (930) is my "DE" car and is only registered so I can play with it between events. My other car is a dedicated track car and will be used at DE's for shake-downs and variety, otherwise will be a PCA/NASA race car. Thing is I may consider getting a "per race" policy if it isn't crazy AND carry DE insurance. My position is that it isn't that hard to ascertain where damage occured and reveal fraud. I could just as well put my 930 into a tree near my house and say it happened at a DE! Fraud is fraud, the current policy makes no sense to me.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Isn't the other issue that once you register the car you need to get it to pass emissions? Fortunately Chicago just changed their laws this year and my 930 is now exempt, however I used to have to lean out the mixture and swap out the exhaust every couple of years to get the thing to pass or risk having my license suspended. I have to believe that the guys in CA probably have it even worse.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:18 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions>

I'm doing my best to keep up with your questions, but it seems that the hangup right now is the registered vehicle clause. Please know that I am constantly working to revise this program as it is something that is constantly evolving. I take the feedback from the people I work with and try to incorporate that into the policy and the program.

Right now I am working on applying all of the race car owner requests through my club race program since it allows unregistered vehicles.

I'm doing my best to accomodate everyone and their individual situations.

thanks,

Chris
www.prosure.net
Old 08-08-2007, 04:20 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the registered vehicle clause. I currently run a street legal 996GT3, but want to upgrade to a 996 or 997 Cup (no street legal) within 12 months to be my DE car. An insurance product for that situation would be ideal.

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Unregistered

Give me a call or email me and I'll try to work something out for you.

Regards,

Chris
Old 08-08-2007, 04:44 PM
TR6
Drifting

Here's an idle question for you: If an accident occurs in a DE between two cars and the situation is that Car A made some driving error that resulted in damages to Car B, and Car B happens to carry DE insurance through your carrier, would the DE insurance company possibly pursue the driver of Car A to recover monetary damages to cover their outlay on the claim for Car B? I understand this is a potentially loaded question, but I think its worth asking and not assuming.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Easy answer>

No, we would not subrogate against that person. The only time you see insurance companies subrogate against another person is when the other party is determined to be at fault and that party also carries insurance. It would not make sense to go after an individual on this basis.

Chris
www.prosure.net
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Greg, whether or not an insurer would choose to pursue an at-fault driver in your hypothetical is probably not meaningful. The drivers of Car A and Car B each should have signed the PCA waiver form that bars each of them from asserting a claim against the other. If the underlying claim is waived there is no liablility to be insured against and hence no claim to be made by the insurer.

In this context, the insurer is covering only the property damage of its insured.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default PCA coverage

If under the PCA policy it states that participants are additional insureds then this is correct. Additional insureds can not sue one another.

Chris

Quick Reply: Keep the DE Insurance questions coming!!!