Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the DE Insurance questions coming!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedAgent1
The deductible for the program that your car qualifies for is adjustable to meet your needs.

Chris
Hope there was no confusion, the 930 is registered/insured in CT, the 78 SC is not. I assume the "program" you are referring to (for the 930) is HPDE insurance. Look forward to the quote, I would think you would need a copy of my CT Ins. card and my registration when it comes to it, no?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:47 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedAgent1
This coverage is only a supplement to the road going coverage this program requires you have in place before you purchase this DE coverage. That is required to help alleviate any chance of insuring a pure race car under the HPDE program.
Chris - You mention this is a supplement to road coverage. Does this mean that you have to report an on track incident to your road coverage insurer first to see if they will pay for it. Or do you just cover it, and you do not have to report it to your road coverage insurer?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Insurance

We only require that the car is insured for the street elsewhere to avoid anyone actually trying to use this supplement as proof of actual auto insurance. And also to avoid insuring cars during racing. For liability purposes the carrier imposed this requirement.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chris,

I've had a couple of discussions with my agent (State Farm in California) and he assures me that non-competitive DEs are covered. I've read over my policy a number of times and can't find any exclusions. However a number of credible posters on this site and others swear that State Farm and others will NOT cover damage that occurs at a DE.

What are your thoughts on this?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default State Farm and others

I really can't make a determination on each person's policy, but I can say that across the US almost all carriers have either added a broad exclusion for race facilities or are in the process of doing so. It is rare to find a carrier that will deny a claim if it stems from something that is not clearly defned in the terms and conditions of the policy, but that does not mean that they will be just as friendly after they cut you a claims check.

Many carriers that have in the past told policy holders that they would be covered at these events did not truly understand what these events are and have since made changes to their policy wording excluding such events. What they don't understand is that the "education" in Driver's Education doesn't mean a defensive driving school and pure classroom time. What it means is learning how to drive your car safely at the limit. Any carrier will tell you that this is not what they intended to insure when they agreed to insure you.

The real personal liability with this situation is the potential to be cancelled. I've said it many times that this could create a very expensive situation and could last for many years.

An example of how broad these exclusions can be: A carrier recently told me they declined a claim from someone who was a spectator at a NASCAR race at Daytona. The accident happened in the infield and because he was "inside a facility used for racing and speed contests" his claim was denied. Now that's an extreme case, but it can happen.

Regards,

Chris
Old 08-07-2007, 08:50 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Also (State Farm)

I have heard that at some PCA events times for DE run groups are posted. This could easily be described as a timed event, thus, racing in terms of the policy.

Be very careful how you read your policy. Don't read it the way you want it to read...read it the way the insurance company will.

Chris
Old 08-07-2007, 08:59 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Where does liability fall? If my normal policy (state farm) says no coverage inside the track fence, and your coverage only covers the car, what about liability? I know we sign waivers but people still sue.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:03 PM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Liability

Liability is not a coverage that is offered by anyone. For participant liability you need to direct your question to the sactioning body or club holding the school. Each club or event co. will have insurance coverage, but one may differ from the next.

I have pursued carriers to provide liability coverage as an additional product to the physical damage program. There isn't a single carrier in the world that would touch on-track personal liability for driver's school events in the U.S. I don't think it will ever happen. If it did the rates would be 3-4 times what this physical damage coverage costs.

Chris
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Your prices are very competitive. I'm very interested in securing a policy soon (by mid next week) but would like to see a copy of the policy and know your AM Best rating before I apply. Could you post that here or on your website? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default Policy and Rating

I can email you a copy of the policy, I don't have any way of posting it here. Great Lakes Re, the underwriting company, is a subsidiary of Munich Re. Great Lakes Re has an AM Best Rating of A+ (Superior).

Email me and I will send you the policy- c.maume@prosure.net

Regards,

Chris
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

10-4 on cancellation for being @ a racing facility. I have a friend who had his ZO6 slip off the ramps while loading on his trailer @ Sebring after an AutoX. He filed a claim and the insurer covered the claim reluctantly and then promptly canceled his insurance. He said if he had known that would have happened he would have not filed a claim. His cost of replacement insurance is going to cost more than the amount of the claim over the next few years

Peter
Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 AM
SpeedAgent1
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Default I hate to hear that

This is a very good example of what can happen in this sport/hobby if you are not careful. Think ahead and hedge your bets by insuring yourself at the track.

Chris
www.prosure.net
Old 08-08-2007, 01:20 PM
SGOGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

I had an incident at Road America covered by my street insurance (SafeCo). They paid it fairly easily once I showed evidence that the event was not a timed racing event. However I quickly received a notice that they would not be offering me a renewal the following year. Certain carriers such as State Farm wouldn't even give me a quote after that.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
BIG-BRO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just another piece of feedback that it's too bad about your registration requirement. Most folks that I know that are looking for DE insurance in my region have dedicated DE "track cars", but never race. As discussed, most other DE providers require a copy of "incident report" from the track or club running the event. I know that all PCA DE events have to document these reports - that would provide you the verification that the incident did not happen during racing.
I hope you can put together a documentation loop that will let you offer the insurance to more DE participants.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG-BRO
Just another piece of feedback that it's too bad about your registration requirement. Most folks that I know that are looking for DE insurance in my region have dedicated DE "track cars", but never race. As discussed, most other DE providers require a copy of "incident report" from the track or club running the event. I know that all PCA DE events have to document these reports - that would provide you the verification that the incident did not happen during racing.
I hope you can put together a documentation loop that will let you offer the insurance to more DE participants.
What's bad about it? If you don't register it there there is NO WAY for them to know that what you are DE'ing is a street car. How many cars that race are registered? Probably <1% if not 0. How many DE cars are registered? Probably 90+%

I don't see this as a big deal. However, I do understand your point. I know of a couple people that have a non-registered DE car that has never seen a race nor will it.

Quick Reply: Keep the DE Insurance questions coming!!!