Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC

Yup, I'm a student...
***In reality, we are all students. I feel that I never stop learning, even though I instruct on a very regular basis. In fact, I kinda wish someone would get in my racecar with me and tell me some tricks. Unfortunately, the only place I can go these days for instruction would be Skip Barber or similar. Wahhhh.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
On more than one occasion, I have slowed a hot dog down with the following:

"Please don't try to impress me, because you can't. And please don't try to scare me, because I already am."

Breaks the ice, and works 100% of the time, so far!
Ohhh, so that's what the shaking fists and clapping meant!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,579 Likes on 825 Posts

LOLOCOPTER
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
We proceeded to rotate right into it, so the RR wheel made a giant tidal wave of mud that flew well over the top of his BLACK car and filled my window. When we came ot rest (engine still running), the entire right side of my body was 100% covered by mud, as was 1/2 of his RED leather interior and 1/2 of the entire car.
That was one of the funniest things I've seen. I should have taken a picture of you.

BTW, you realize he is on this board, don't you............ Also, that is one of pretiest 911 I've ever seen.

I've had a student ask me why he couldn't just stay in the middle of the track all the way around.....

Then there was my green student (elderly man, maybe in his 70's) that showed up in a race prepped WRX (not your boy racer, a full on race car, cage, no interior, etc) on Hoosiers. Besides being nearly deaf (could not even hear over the chatterbox), he just wanted to floor it and go straight, even in the turns...... Luckily the car developed a fuel leak and his weekend was over after only one session.

G.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
That was one of the funniest things I've seen. I should have taken a picture of you.

BTW, you realize he is on this board, don't you............ Also, that is one of pretiest 911 I've ever seen.

G.

It was pretty damned funny when I saw how much mud had truly gotten on/in the car after I squeegied myself out.

IIRC, you were one of the aforementioned ******** laughing & clapping, weren't you? I think that was my very first Maverick event as an instructor.

Didn't know he was here. Don't care. It was a GORGEOUS car that I wished I had. Plus, he did everything right, it was just too damned slippery.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:46 PM
rickdm
Racer

Wow....I have to straighten one thing out. Yes George, the owner of the Black 911 that covered Veloce with mud is on this board. That would happen to be me, however I was not the driver or the owner when this happened I still have people who see my car and ask me if that is the car that went off at Ricochet and covered the instructor with mud. It must have been an epic moment in the history of the club.

The previous owner was a very nice man. Bought this car all set up for the track, went to four or five DE's, and never got out of Green. Kept the car for one year, took it to the dealer to fix every minor thing and spent $13,000 before he sold it to me. I still appreciate all the nice things he did for the car. He went out and bought a Lotus Elise and has not been seen since.

Veloce, next time it rains I will find you to see if you want to come for a ride

rickdm
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LMFAO...George self-owns again.

Rick, I didnt' know you had bought Randy's car. And I guess Randy is not on here?

I knew he sold it, bought the Elise from my best friend here in Austin, had a fender bender in it that cost $15,000 (broken clamshell...they are extremely fragile cars), then sold that and got I-forget-what. I saw him last year at a Mav event, but forgot what he drove.

I'll...um....give some thought to your kind offer!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:54 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

A few years back I instructed a twenty something year old “trust-fund” kid at Pocono in his brand new yellow 993 twin turbo. In spite of my best efforts to get him to pick up his speed, this guy was as slow as molasses. He was driving probably the best track car out there and he was holding up everyone else. This guy was all over the place. I mean this guy couldn't drive to save his life.

After the school ended, while driving back home on I-80, cruising at around 70, I saw a yellow car in my mirrors approaching really fast. It passed me like I was literally standing. I took a quick glance and sure enough it was the yellow 993 driven by my inept student. He sure couldn't turn, brake or find the line on the track but he had no problem pushing the accelerator well into triple digits on a busy highway.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:55 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had a student one time at VIR... Driving a WRX (I won't say what color or which event)...

So I rode with him for a full day, calmly walking him through each lap, and I could tell he wasn't getting it. On Day 2, 3rd session, about 1/2 way through the session we were onto the back straight and there was noone around us. So I told him that I wasn't going to say anything, and I wanted him to drive a lap on his own, without me saying coaching him, so that I could observe how he handles a lap without instruction. He said OK. We continue down the back straight, and at the end of the straight at VIR, it makes a 90 degree right hand turn.

We approach the corner, no brakes, no slowing down, no nothing. He's been around the track at least what 7-8 laps per session for 7 or so sessions - so lets say 50 laps. He went barreling into the right hander even though I finally yelled "Brake Brake Brake Brake Brake", we went down the hill through the grass, got it whoa'd down and merged back onto the track. We pulled in, and checked the car out, and we went back out for more laps to finish the session, with me verbally coaching him through every lap.

At the end of the session, when he dropped me off, I asked him what he was thinking... He said he wasn't sure. I then asked him... "Did you drive yourself to the track?" and he said "yes", and I then asked "Well what do you normally do on the highway when you approach a 90 degree RH turn?" - he actually said "I don't know".

The boy should NOT HAVE A LICENSE... Much less be on a track...

I was very nice, I never yelled, even when saying "Brake Brake Brake Brake Brake", I just wanted to know what he was thinking, and I eventually got my answer - he wasn't thinking....

Brian
Old 06-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antonio
A few years back I instructed a twenty something year old “trust-fund” kid at Pocono in his brand new yellow 993 twin turbo. In spite of my best efforts to get him to pick up his speed, this guy was as slow as molasses. He was driving probably the best track car out there and he was holding up everyone else. This guy was all over the place. I mean this guy couldn't drive to save his life.

After the school ended, while driving back home on I-80, cruising at around 70, I saw a yellow car in my mirrors approaching really fast. It passed me like I was literally standing. I took a quick glance and sure enough it was the yellow 993 driven by my inept student. He sure couldn't turn, brake or find the line on the track but he had no problem pushing the accelerator well into triple digits on a busy highway.

LOL...my first-ever time instructing, my green student had an M3 like mine. Much older gent, probably 55-60. Great student, great attitude, was doing well, etc.

On the way to the track on the 2nd morning, who is pulled over on the side of the road, with a cop pulled right behind?

Yup, my guy, getting a speeding ticket driving to the track at 6:40 AM.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that I saw him.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 AM
rickdm
Racer

Veloce, I have not missed a Mav DE in two and half years and have never seen Randy again, but he could have been parked in another area and we just didn't run into each other. Sorry to hear about his experience with the Elise. After spending all the money on the 911 he told me he just wanted a car with a warranty that he wouldn't have to spend much money on. I have never seen him on this board, but this is the internet so who knows?

rickdm
Old 06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyC

Yup, I'm a student and first thing I tell a new instructor...I love my car, love my life and both want to go home in one piece. Now teach me what you can and let's have fun. Beer and steak on me later. I think it works.
Another student here. I give my instructors the same basic story of wanting us all to go home safely, and the garage queen as pretty as when I left home. My last DE at TWS I had Hugh Brazier (great instructor) yelling gas gas gas in my ear, and his enthusiasm had me going MUCH faster and much more on the edge than I expected to be. It was a great experience.

I'm amazed at these stories. How the hell these people go out there and not listen to their instructor is beyond me.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:21 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 88 Posts

I had this older gent in an M3. He said he used to race in the MG's in the 60's so he was familiar with driving on the track.
He continually would not listen to me - especially on when to turn in on the climbing esses at VIR.
Every lap I would tell him "wait for me to tell you to turn in" - but no he kept turning in way too early and going faster every time.
I finally had to yell at him that he was making me mad and SCARING the crap out of me. I told him if he didn't listen we were done.
So next 2 laps he listens and on the next lap he drives right off just before "Hog Pen" or turn 17. Fortunately he scared himself enough that he went home early!

And on the same day I had a lady in an Audi TT. She listened perfectly - but she had a tendency to SCREAM "OH YEAH THAT WAS GREAT" everytime she listened and got a turn down pat. I kept turning the volume down on the chatter box but my ears still hurt all day! It would scare the crap out of me everytime she screamed because it was a delayed reaction until after we were well passed the turn. I usually said calmly "Good job - perfect" or something like that. Then 3-5 seconds later my eardrums were in pain! It was kinda funny actually.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:38 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickdm
Wow....I have to straighten one thing out. Yes George, the owner of the Black 911 that covered Veloce with mud is on this board. That would happen to be me, however I was not the driver or the owner when this happened I still have people who see my car and ask me if that is the car that went off at Ricochet and covered the instructor with mud. It must have been an epic moment in the history of the club.

The previous owner was a very nice man. Bought this car all set up for the track, went to four or five DE's, and never got out of Green. Kept the car for one year, took it to the dealer to fix every minor thing and spent $13,000 before he sold it to me. I still appreciate all the nice things he did for the car. He went out and bought a Lotus Elise and has not been seen since.

Veloce, next time it rains I will find you to see if you want to come for a ride

rickdm
Damn Rick, I thought that was you!!!! I swear, I remember the cars more than I do the drivers. BTW, I was one of Randy's first instructors.

G.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,200 Likes on 1,241 Posts

My wife must read this thread!! She is so afraid of looking like an idiot at her first DE.

Quick Reply: Worst Student Thread