Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)

So I have been really hesitant to get a lap timing system in my car b/c I was so worried I would be constantly looking at it and trying to beat lap times, etc, etc, etc. Now I am at the point skill-wise where I would really like to know where I am at compared to my peers (similar cars, skill, etc.) as well see if I am improving when I change parts of the track I am working on.

Here's where I am looking for help. I really like the Traqmate system b/c of the lack of needing a transmitter but $1K is not something I can spend if I want my wife to let me see my first born come November.

It seems that the HotLap system is the way to go since I see a transmitter at just about every track day set up. For something like $150 you can get the whole setup sans the transmitter. Is there something better out there or is the consensus HotLap for economy and transmitter req'd systems and Traqmate for GPS based systems?

Just want to make sure I am getting the "right" thing.

FYI.....I do not need software, etc., to start breaking everything down. Baby steps my track brothers, baby steps. I just want to start with simple timing right now. As of right now I am getting stop watch based timing from friends in the paddock and also verifying lap times when I upload video after the weekend.

TIA!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Dell,

I will have my hotlap transmitter up this weekend if no others do, if you want to just buy a receiver for the weekend....quite often though I find that I am the only one at the event w/ one, so you will probably want to buy one (transmitter) sooner or later. However, I after doing some searches a few weeks ago, I might go w/ an Ultra Lap: http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1085&cid=22 The Hot Lap is usually a PITA and there are a bunch of missed laps. Also, if some one puts out another Hot Lap transmitter, I will get 4 second lap times etc.

I have a DL-1, but the displays are $700!!!! That is ridiculous for a display, IMO, so I will stay w/ the two systems. I like to be able to look down and know what the time was....as long as I'm not in a pass or in a corner, etc, etc.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:42 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Intercomp has a timer and beacon for about $250 or so.
I will sell you mine for $150. I don't use it anymore. (I have a Traqmate now). Let me know if you are interested and I will bring it this weekend.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Matt. I'll give you a call tomorrow so I can run a few questions about it by you. Sounds like just what I need.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:01 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dell, if you don't buy the intercomp, just use your video for a +/- .5 sec accuracy. (close enough). When your ready, get a DAS system that will give you better feedback. No one goes out to improve lap times by driving faster everywhere. One corner at a time, or maybe a sequence of turns is what you end up focusing on. DAS system will give you this info immediately (with the exception of traffic). I have seen vid times off by alot more, but not on digital medium with the sampling rate being so high. BTW, bestwishes and congrats on the "new" drover on the way.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:06 AM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Dell,

I will have my hotlap transmitter up this weekend if no others do, if you want to just buy a receiver for the weekend....quite often though I find that I am the only one at the event w/ one, so you will probably want to buy one (transmitter) sooner or later. However, I after doing some searches a few weeks ago, I might go w/ an Ultra Lap: http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1085&cid=22 The Hot Lap is usually a PITA and there are a bunch of missed laps. Also, if some one puts out another Hot Lap transmitter, I will get 4 second lap times etc.

I have a DL-1, but the displays are $700!!!! That is ridiculous for a display, IMO, so I will stay w/ the two systems. I like to be able to look down and know what the time was....as long as I'm not in a pass or in a corner, etc, etc.
Since the HotLap has a 5 sec minimum, I doubt you get 4 sec laps. And as long as the transmitters are less than 5 sec apart, it will only record the first one, and still give reasonably accurate times. 5 sec is a long way on the front straight.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:07 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bobt993
Dell, if you don't buy the intercomp, just use your video for a +/- .5 sec accuracy. (close enough). When your ready, get a DAS system that will give you better feedback. No one goes out to improve lap times by driving faster everywhere. One corner at a time, or maybe a sequence of turns is what you end up focusing on. DAS system will give you this info immediately (with the exception of traffic). I have seen vid times off by alot more, but not on digital medium with the sampling rate being so high.
Good point. I am NOWHERE close to timing in tenths but "sector" times would be great to work on specific sections with instant feedback. Not to mention I could put together a hypothetical fast lap. I'd really like a GPS based system but I need to stay focused on balancing the budget right now between my track addiction and the new drover accessories come mid November!

Originally Posted by bobt993
BTW, bestwishes and congrats on the "new" drover on the way.
Thanks! My wife and I are very excited and ready to baptise the new drover to the world of motoring at the December VIR event. Never too early to get to the track right?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:13 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick
Since the HotLap has a 5 sec minimum, I doubt you get 4 sec laps. And as long as the transmitters are less than 5 sec apart, it will only record the first one, and still give reasonably accurate times. 5 sec is a long way on the front straight.
That was just an example, but if someone has another transmitter up I will get split times....almost always.

At Mid-O a few weeks ago, it was acting up and would start running in the paddock and count 5 second laps until it filled up w/ 60 laps...or whatever the max is. Last year I sent it back and it worked better for a few mos, but now acting up again.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Smile Timers

I too am through with Hot Lap...too many problems

Cheap: Ultralap
More $: AIM

Rennlist sponsor CDOC sells the AIM product.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the UltraLap for over a year now, and it works great. Several others were impressed and have gotten ones now, which means I don't have to set up the transmitter everytime. It does everything HotLap does and much more, plus last I checked it was cheaper, too!
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! My wife and I are very excited and ready to baptise the new drover to the world of motoring at the December VIR event. Never too early to get to the track right?
I had my 2 month old at the track last weekend. She really seems to like all of the action.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by CO951
I had my 2 month old at the track last weekend. She really seems to like all of the action.
I really is great to see just how many families are at the track. Really is a great time to be had for all. Plus the track time ain't too bad either
Old 05-22-2007, 08:58 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Think a little more about what you said with respect to not needing software. To be honest with you, the lap times tell me very little, it's the data that is the teaching tool. You can get to a 1:01 lap at Lime Rock in about 500 different ways - it all depends on each braking point, turn, and point where you pour on the power again. It all depends on which nuance of the line you take. To me, a simple lap timer would probably be counter-productive.

I saved up for the TraqMate and am still learning how to get the most out of it. Sharing of data is wonderful - so many out there that email over a file and each time I review somebody else's information I learn something new. Hmmm, look at how much speed he was able to carry through Left Hander using that approach. He threw out the anchor at 400 instead of 500 and trail braked to increase his entry speed by 5 MPH. Things like that.

Think about it...
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Damn you Ron!!!!!!

Why do you have to make sense???

I know I need the device that has software ability and even better, the reliability of GPS timing. I really, really, really, would like to get the Traqmate system, but I can't justify that purchase price right now. If it was a few hundred cheaper than that, I could probably do it.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:19 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep saving - you will find it was worth it. Better that then buy a simple device and then a few months later have to start saving again for the TM

Quick Reply: Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)