Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, it's not so much that I need to keep saving for it. It more that I need to be able to look my wife straight in the eyes and say "it was only $1,000" when she says "very cool....how much?"

I already got "the look" when she asked how much the bypass pipes were when they came last week. I can't keep side-stepping these land mines with a pregnant woman unless I want to start looking for a good divorce lawyer
Old 05-22-2007, 09:40 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Then here's another idea for you... Hold off for 6 months, and put TM on your Birthday or Holiday list. Try what I do - I buy what I want around my Birthday and Christmas and hand it off for wrapping My wife has gotten used to it - that way I get something I've wanted for a long time that I know she won't go out and buy me, plus I get her surprises...
Old 05-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Dell - do you use a PDA with Bluetooth capability? If so look into a MaxQData Systems GPS for a quick, cheap solution. Works well, gives you track segmenting capabilities, G forces, Speed, Lap times, etc. etc.

http://www.maxqdata.com/
Old 05-22-2007, 10:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RonCT
Then here's another idea for you... Hold off for 6 months, and put TM on your Birthday or Holiday list. Try what I do - I buy what I want around my Birthday and Christmas and hand it off for wrapping My wife has gotten used to it - that way I get something I've wanted for a long time that I know she won't go out and buy me, plus I get her surprises...
But I don't want to wait til November (B-day). However, it looks like that is the way I am going to have to play it.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Dell - do you use a PDA with Bluetooth capability? If so look into a MaxQData Systems GPS for a quick, cheap solution. Works well, gives you track segmenting capabilities, G forces, Speed, Lap times, etc. etc.

http://www.maxqdata.com/
That is perfect. Only caveat is that my Treo is PalmOS and that software requires PocketPC.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Dell,

Looking forward in meeting you and the rest of the boys this weekend. I'll be at the gate Thursday PM(if you arive that early), I'm helping the registrar with the waiver form signatures.

See you all!

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 05-22-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Dell, this is all you need, and it will only cost you $20.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Dell, this is all you need, and it will only cost you $20.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:40 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 597 Posts

here is your solution

Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell

I was serious. Velcro it to your steering wheel or your dashboard. Hit the button each time you pass start/finish.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Carrera Mike
Dell,

Looking forward in meeting you and the rest of the boys this weekend. I'll be at the gate Thursday PM(if you arive that early), I'm helping the registrar with the waiver form signagtures.

See you all!
Mike, I'll be there Thursday evening as well. I'll look for you when I get in.

Cheers,
Old 05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I was serious. Velcro it to your steering wheel or your dashboard. Hit the button each time you pass start/finish.
I know and I actually thought about doing that but I really really really want the GPS based system and realize I am relegated to the stopwatch club.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stop watch on the steering wheel works. Super low tech, probably only accurate within a few tenths (human variability) but cheap and easy. I use an Ironman triathlon watch (50 lap memory) with the band removed. It's much smaller than a stop watch.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:51 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

The only caution is that, if you use an OEM wheel with an airbag, do NOT mount anything on it. Put the stopwatch on the dashboard. Velcro is amazing.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dell,
+1 on what Ron said.

If you are really intent on measuring (and therefore improving) lap times, then a single lap timing system probably won't be the best (although it is the cheapest)
A data acquisition system, that allows you to download your time/data and analyze by (user defineable) sector(s) is definitely the way to go. Traqmate, DL1, AIM, etc....all good systems.

Although I have never timed a single lap for myself when driving (really), I know from experience that using an AIM Mychron system on my son's kart (speed, RPM, lap time, water/exhaust temperature) has made a tremendous difference in his driving...and consequently his laptimes.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
Dell,
+1 on what Ron said.

If you are really intent on measuring (and therefore improving) lap times, then a single lap timing system probably won't be the best (although it is the cheapest)
A data acquisition system, that allows you to download your time/data and analyze by (user defineable) sector(s) is definitely the way to go. Traqmate, DL1, AIM, etc....all good systems.

Although I have never timed a single lap for myself when driving (really), I know from experience that using an AIM Mychron system on my son's kart (speed, RPM, lap time, water/exhaust temperature) has made a tremendous difference in his driving...and consequently his laptimes.
Sounds like we think alike. While it is very interesting to see what your "total" lap time is versus sector times you really don't get the data you need to improve. As I said, I have never used a timing device except for video uploads after the weekend. Looks the smart thing to do for what I am looking for is to get a stopwatch today and a data system for my B-Day.

Why do y'all have to make so much sense!

Quick Reply: Timing Device Suggestions. (price IS an object)