Sponsored by:

Where are all the Alonso detractors

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I think their biggest problem is Bridgestone. Car isn't working (yet!) with them.

Fisichella & Kovalainen is worst driver pairing in F1? Schumacher & Trulli (Trulli pretty good, Ralf, no), Sato & Davidson (well...), SPEED & Liuzzi! (SPEED!), Sutil & Albers (yea right)... I don't think so.
I think Renault's problem is Fisi. Did you see the quote he made last week about how they wouldn't be able to win and they have lots of problems, blah, blah, blah. I've yet to see a world champ (and Fizzi has claimed he has what it takes) before the second race of the season say that they are basically out of it. Schumiie and Alonso would double down and make things happen.

Ralf is probably the most over rated drive in F1 and has been for some time. He's never been a terribly capable driver in F1 terms and he seems to think he's as good as his brother. Bah.

Speed takes a lot of grief, and he really does need to get more serious, but his F3000 performances were as good as a great many on the grid or better. He just needs to improve his work ethic.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
\\\

Ohhh Nooooooo, The Finn has a cousin on rennlist
Oh no my friend, just another well educated Formula 1 expert.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
I think Renault's problem is Fisi. Did you see the quote he made last week about how they wouldn't be able to win and they have lots of problems, blah, blah, blah. I've yet to see a world champ (and Fizzi has claimed he has what it takes) before the second race of the season say that they are basically out of it. Schumiie and Alonso would double down and make things happen...
I agree, Fisi never seems to have enough of what it takes. Some times he can be fast but that's it. This is why I think they shoul've replaced him with Kovalainen last year. Kovalainen would've had good No 1 as a mentor for his rookie year and now would be more experienced for this year and be a leader.

No worries in my mind (regarding Kovalainen) though, after few races he will show up. He has a lot of driving talent.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been taken to task on here by a few about Alonso not being the real deal , now this kid has turned the Big Mac around , HOW YUH LIKE ME NOW
"Turned the Big Mac around"??? That's going a bit far don't you think? If you believe that you must also believe that he'd still be winning if he was back at Renault?

No question Alonso has got great talent, but I'm not ready to call him the best driver in the current F1 crop quite yet. He's got a great car under him which seems to have something that "the Big Mac" has not had in a while.....speed AND reliability.

Bottom line for me is that it's real tough to make big predictions on only two races. It's a long season and I'm sure it will be filled with some interesting twists and turns.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
"Turned the Big Mac around"??? That's going a bit far don't you think? If you believe that you must also believe that he'd still be winning if he was back at Renault?

No question Alonso has got great talent, but I'm not ready to call him the best driver in the current F1 crop quite yet. He's got a great car under him which seems to have something that "the Big Mac" has not had in a while.....speed AND reliability.

Bottom line for me is that it's real tough to make big predictions on only two races. It's a long season and I'm sure it will be filled with some interesting twists and turns.
LOL.

Ok last year it was , "alonso would be crazy to leave renault for big mac,look at poor Kimi " So now it is , alonso was smart to leave renault for big mac , which is it ? the guy wins 2 w/c against ferrari , goes to big mac and will win again against ferrari ( all other teams are support cast, as of now) and he is still not the best driver in F1!.

well as of right now all the others are hype and potential , Alonso is the one with 2 WC AND UNTIL THEY BEAT HIM , HE IS THE MAN !
Old 04-09-2007, 08:57 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Alonso got a gift from Massa at the start and was lucky that Hamilton played blocker which put the already fuming (from his bad start) Brazilian over the top with his bonehead passing moves. It is safe to say if Massa would have led into the first corner he would have won the race and Alonso would have settled for second, but Alonso did what he is supposed to do , capitalize on other idiot drivers.

BTW, Alonso did not develop the car, this is the first year that the Mac's are reliably and quick in a loooong time and the credit goes to Daimler/Dennis and to some extent vodafone with their large spnsor pockets.

The Renault's are **** because they don't have custom designed tires fron Michelin anymore.....

I hope Wayne's world does not collapse if his predictions are not coming true but then he will be inventing some conspiracy stories to support his midget hero.

I also agree with the opinion of D. Hobbs of Speed, MS would have won that race.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

I think Senna would have won that race.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And Jim Clark.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

LOL.

Ok last year it was , "alonso would be crazy to leave renault for big mac,look at poor Kimi " So now it is , alonso was smart to leave renault for big mac , which is it ? the guy wins 2 w/c against ferrari , goes to big mac and will win again against ferrari ( all other teams are support cast, as of now) and he is still not the best driver in F1!.

well as of right now all the others are hype and potential , Alonso is the one with 2 WC AND UNTIL THEY BEAT HIM , HE IS THE MAN !
Please....he won two world championships at a point when Ferrari was at an absolute low and Mercedes had a fast but unreliable car. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was extremely lucky, but he was certainly blessed. As for him miraculously tranforming Mercedes give me a break. A great driver can certainly wring greatness out of a good car, but no one can turn a crap car into a great car with the current level of competition in F1. He is in a good place with Mercedes seemingly having a car that is not only quick but reliable.

If he wins the WC this year I will give you that he is the best current driver in F1 (I still believe Shumi is a better driver). Right now with the current standings I'd say it's a tossup between Alonso and Kimi. While Kubica and Hamilton show the best newbie promise.

However, it's a Looong season so we'll see if he can go beyond his current win streak of one.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:48 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
Please....he won two world championships at a point when Ferrari was at an absolute low and Mercedes had a fast but unreliable car. I wouldn't go so far as to say he was extremely lucky, but he was certainly blessed. As for him miraculously tranforming Mercedes give me a break. A great driver can certainly wring greatness out of a good car, but no one can turn a crap car into a great car with the current level of competition in F1. He is in a good place with Mercedes seemingly having a car that is not only quick but reliable.

If he wins the WC this year I will give you that he is the best current driver in F1 (I still believe Shumi is a better driver). Right now with the current standings I'd say it's a tossup between Alonso and Kimi. While Kubica and Hamilton show the best newbie promise.

However, it's a Looong season so we'll see if he can go beyond his current win streak of one.

Ray a few points ,

1. Scumacher is not in F1 anymore .so he does not count.
2. Alonso was lucky to win last year as Ferrari was down
3. The big mac is still a slower car than the Ferrari's ...
4. I guess the other drivers are not as lucky as Alonso
5. The 2 time w/c is no good just lucky
6. He is lucky to have 1 win and 1 second place and a lead in the championship.
7. He is also lucky that the big mac is a good car , nothing to do with him
8. So i guess kimi, Massa and Hamilton is not lucky to have such a car.
9. based on these assumptions it appears it is better to be lucky than to have a contract .
10 Get with the finn and chip in the more vodka the better
Old 04-09-2007, 09:59 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geo
I think Senna would have won that race.

LOL.... Geo , Larry,

Interesting MS, not sure but who won that race last year

I see the pole still has a bit of jaundice in his sat. reception.

Pole get with the Finn the more vodka the merrier, if you can spare it
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,723 Posts

As much as it pains me to be on the side of A. Wayne, let alone agree, it is clear that Alonso is the most polished and complete F1 driver right now. Last year it was Schumacher. Kimi is still raw speed and lacking in the area of technical development. That said, it was not Kimi's fault that he came in 3rd yesterday, he had a lame duck car and was rather fortunate to be on the podium thanks to Massa's multiple mistakes.

I know, I know Schumacher is not there anymore, but after watching him driver for a decade and a half, you would never see him swing wide when out front and allow not one, but TWO McLaren's to slip by underneath him and then get schooled by a rookie.

I will disagree with you on one point A. Wayne, you can't tell me that Alonso turned around the reliability of McLaren in the short 3 months he has been there. What I believe, but can't prove, is that his professionalism and the way he goes about his racing has turned around the corporate culture at McLaren and more than anything else, has given hope to a once proud team that failed to win a race last year. Now with two races with no mechanical issues whatsoever in either car, AND a win under their belts AND leading in both championship points, they have the confidence to go toe to toe with Ferrari.

My guest is BIG RED is going to be back at Bahrain.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Ray a few points ,

1. Scumacher is not in F1 anymore .so he does not count.
2. Alonso was lucky to win last year as Ferrari was down
3. The big mac is still a slower car than the Ferrari's ...
4. I guess the other drivers are not as lucky as Alonso
5. The 2 time w/c is no good just lucky
6. He is lucky to have 1 win and 1 second place and a lead in the championship.
7. He is also lucky that the big mac is a good car , nothing to do with him
8. So i guess kimi, Massa and Hamilton is not lucky to have such a car.
9. based on these assumptions it appears it is better to be lucky than to have a contract .
10 Get with the finn and chip in the more vodka the better
1. Never said that he was. I only said he is a better driver IMHO.
2. He wasn't lucky to win. He was lucky that Ferrari had problems.
3. Says who. The current Ferrari and Mercedes seem as closely matched as any two F1 cars in recent memory
4. Once again I would not say he was lucky. However, he was certainly blessed with some favorable situations.
5. Man you have a one track mind....see #4
6. See #4
7. See #4
8. Hamilton had his number in race #1, until he had a slow pit. I believe he is a better driver than Masa. The real question is he better than Kimi? I'm not sure.
9. This is getting old. You are just repeating yourself to come up with an even 10 right?? See #4
10. Your going to call him the best of the season based on two races and one win??? I'll wait and see........
Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My take on this, to draw a parallel is that Alonso is more like Prost, and Raikkonen is more like Senna. Alonso takes better care of his car, and can drive around problems, and Kimi has shown that he is can be the fastest given equal equipment. It will come down to the reliability of the cars, and a little bit of luck.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
As much as it pains me to be on the side of A. Wayne, let alone agree, it is clear that Alonso is the most polished and complete F1 driver right now. Last year it was Schumacher. Kimi is still raw speed and lacking in the area of technical development. That said, it was not Kimi's fault that he came in 3rd yesterday, he had a lame duck car and was rather fortunate to be on the podium thanks to Massa's multiple mistakes.

I know, I know Schumacher is not there anymore, but after watching him driver for a decade and a half, you would never see him swing wide when out front and allow not one, but TWO McLaren's to slip by underneath him and then get schooled by a rookie.

I will disagree with you on one point A. Wayne, you can't tell me that Alonso turned around the reliability of McLaren in the short 3 months he has been there. What I believe, but can't prove, is that his professionalism and the way he goes about his racing has turned around the corporate culture at McLaren and more than anything else, has given hope to a once proud team that failed to win a race last year. Now with two races with no mechanical issues whatsoever in either car, AND a win under their belts AND leading in both championship points, they have the confidence to go toe to toe with Ferrari.

My guest is BIG RED is going to be back at Bahrain.
I never said that Alonso was responsible for everything good at the BIg Mac, but his knowledge , style and confidence helped and you can see it on everyone's face ,from R. Dennis down, they are confident and 100% behind Alonso , the same look ferrari had with MS. and yes Big RED is still the best team in F1 currently and with the best car ...

I'm just upset that here is a kid doing his best , good at what he does has the results and then people lay into him for being successful , the funny part is i LIKE ALL 4 DRIVERS , I WOULD BE HAPPY REGARDLESS OF WHO OF THE 4 WINS , I just believe at this stage Alonso is the most complete and he has the record to prove it , plus i get to drink for free if Alonso wins

LOL,M3pete, after that touching response,i have to go and rinse now

Quick Reply: Where are all the Alonso detractors