Old 03-28-2007 | 10:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Ew.
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:33 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ew? Is that the way they talk "down south" now? Must be The Drag finally influencing things!

Nice to meet you BTW.

TBP
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:37 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
It was an awesome time, minus a missed (money) shift.....

Patrick is the entire package, and has a lot of focus on the mental side of things. He is a great coach, and a VERY sharp and enjoyable young man! Even with my curtailed driving time, I had tremendous improvement in my lap time, and learned more in one short day than I'd typically pick up in a full weekend behind the wheel at a PCA DE. That is not to say I do not enjoy and value my PCA DE's, it's just that this setting was more focused due to the quality of all of the instructors, Patrick, Bryan, Glen & David coupled with the small group size.

Thanks to all of you for making this a great day!

Now, does anyone have some extra exhaust valves laying around......??
Ed,

It was nice to put a face to the name of another Rennlister. I hope that the damage won't be too bad. Any indications as yet? I hope that the damage will not be too bad.

Toby
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:39 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdm
...I went out and bought a Miata for my sons ....
rickdm
Sure you did!
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Haha! Likewise, Toby. I'd love to ride with you in a couple weeks at the Mav event.
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Ed,

It was nice to put a face to the name of another Rennlister. I hope that the damage won't be too bad. Any indications as yet? I hope that the damage will not be too bad.

Toby
Not yet, but I think I may've hit all the exhaust valves. I unplugged each plug wire individually, and the quality of the idle didn't really change. The main positive is that the motor runs, and doesn't APPEAR to have any lower end damage. But, I'm resolved that this will be pretty much a full rebuild. I'm hoping my pistons and barrels are still good, so I can save that $3K expense.

I'll make it a fun project and see about improving the durability of the engine along the way.
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Sorry, Ed.
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:53 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Haha! Likewise, Toby. I'd love to ride with you in a couple weeks at the Mav event.
Deal! I'm running in Yellow and will be doing my best to secure an endorsement from Keith so I can make the May Club Race my first event.

Only reason I didn't ask Patrick to drive my car yesterday is that I still need Todd to re-do my seat mount positions - they are too high. The inside front corner of the driver's seat likes to compete with the shifter for the same space when the shifter is in 2nd gear. That should be fixed before the DE.

See you in a few weeks!

TBP
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:55 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Deal! I'm running in Yellow and will be doing my best to secure an endorsement from Keith so I can make the May Club Race my first event.
Wow, I didn't know you were going to start racing. Congrats......

G.
Old 03-28-2007 | 11:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Toby and Sam and Ed and Pat and Jay and Barry and Lee and Rob and everybody else did really well yesterday.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 03-29-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-29-2007 | 12:28 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Wow, I didn't know you were going to start racing. Congrats......

G.
Yep. Thanks George. I'm taking Glen's advice - if you want to do it, go do it! Don't wait around for a better time or place or venue or improved capabilities. I think he's right - you gotta take the dive at some point. And, I'm not getting any younger.

Besides, now that Glen showed me how to start my car (who would've thought that the ignition key would be on the LEFT side of the steering column! ), I can actually get the car up to the grid, and maybe even drive it.

Missed you out there yesterday. It was a blast!

TBP
Old 03-29-2007 | 12:29 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Toby and Sam and Ed and Pat and Jay and Barry and Lee and everybody else did really well yesterday.
Franklin's are "...in the mail".
Old 03-29-2007 | 09:38 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Only reason I didn't ask Patrick to drive my car yesterday is that I still need Todd to re-do my seat mount positions - they are too high. The inside front corner of the driver's seat likes to compete with the shifter for the same space when the shifter is in 2nd gear. That should be fixed before the DE.

See you in a few weeks!

TBP
Toby -

Nice meeting you on Tuesday and I love your car! Another option to fix the shifter issue is installing a short shift kit. Mine did the same thing until I put a WEVO shifter in. Just something else to consider.

Rob (driving the white, narrow bodied 911 with #90 on it)
Old 03-29-2007 | 11:55 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Rob!

It was nice to meet you too. Thanks for the kind words about my car. Ever since I saw them while in high school, I've always loved the body style and ducktail.

I just received my Wevo shifter and need to get it installed. I went ahead and purchased a new shifter base and tried to order the rear roll pin and shim and front threaded pin and nut that hold the shifter pivot box in the shifter housing. All Randall could mumble was something about ".....no longer available." So now, I'm on the hunt for those four pieces. PartsHeaven laughed when I called, and Oklahoma Foreign gave me an Oklahoma shrug when I checked with them. My original plan was to completely assemble the "new" shifter before removing the old one. I was really hoping to not cannibalize the old shifter if possible. That may not work out though. I still have a few more avenues to pursue.

At any rate, Todd has committed to rework my seat mount points and that effort coupled with the new shifter should alleviate the problem. Then the next time Patrick is around, I'll ask him to drive Tweety Bird. THAT will be a picture worth putting up in my room upstairs at the track!

Look forward to seeing you soon Rob.

Toby
Old 03-29-2007 | 12:13 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Toby -

You will LOVE the Wevo. It completely transformed how the gearbox felt. Toughest part of the install for me was replacing one of the plastic bushings. It is held with a set screw and I spent hours on getting that screw out before I gave up. Its at a very tough angle to work on. I ended up leaving the old bushing in, which is now starting to wear out. I may have to go back in soon and fix it for good.

Patrick came back to my place at the track, signed the inside of my trunk lid, and posed for a couple of pictures with Ed and myself inside the garage. Super nice guy, we are very fortunate to be able to work with him. Can't wait for the next session!

See you out there soon ...

Quick Reply: Patrick Long Advanced DE day at MSR