Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patrick Long Advanced DE day at MSR

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, I'm proud to say I've done my first home alignment in preparation for this event. That and new/stiffer T-bars to try out with ol' Patrick!
Old 03-24-2007, 10:07 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts

Tweety Bird got a bath today in preparation for Tuesday. All nice and clean.

BTW, has anyone checked with Blair Hart to see if he is around to snap pictures on Tuesday? I'm reasonably certain that most will laugh out loud when I lay claim to Patrick Long driving my car!

".....Oh sure, Patrick Long drove your car. And I have some prime beach real estate for sale right outside of Phoenix too! Gimme a break, moron!"

At least then I can whip out my picture showing Patrick behind the wheel!

May be worth a call to Blair if he's not aware already.

60 hours and counting!

Toby
Old 03-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Laura
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are in a for a great time with Patrick. This kid is awesome. Even if you are unable to get some time with him in your car, his talks and instruction are fantastic. He is very dedicated individual. I and my husband were very lucky to be part of the team crew for Patrick's Rolex races in 2005. What an experience ! Just be a sponge, soak it all up.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Have fun tomorrow, I know I won't .
Old 03-27-2007, 12:36 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg,

We'll be thinking of you, buddy! I tried to make it out there tonight for dinner, but could not get out of the office before 6:15P. Given that it took about 30 minutes just to get to the house (by the Galleria), I knew it was futile to attempt a drive to MSR - only to have to come BACK home so I can be at a leadership meeting at work first thing tomorrow.

So, I will miss the first few sessions in the AM, but should be able to get all afternoon sessions in - I hope! Weather is improving with the gradual movement of the Low causing all this rain to the east.

Toby
Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you guys lucked out with some great weather today. I sure wish I could have made it this time. Anxious to hear all about it and see some photos.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

One word..... AWESOME! I doubt you will meet a nicer young man than Patrick Long. He is simply amazing. The ride-along in the Cup Car was nothing short of incredible.

I was only able to make it out for this afternoon, but it was GREAT! Man, do I have some work to do! I hope I'll get another opportunity to participate in one of these sessions.

And my hat is off to Glen, Melissa, Patrick, David and Bryan. You guys did an awesome job. Once I get the seats mounted in a better position, one of you is gonna get dragged along for a ride in an old, slow 911! I need as many pointers as I can get!

Thanks again and all the best,

Toby
Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

The weather started off damp, and, true to form, MSR was like the ice rink in the Galleria minus the MILF's and the 9th graders. But then the wind & sun took over, and we had a great track and a wonderful day.

It was good to relearn the 1.7 again, since I hadn't driven it since late 2005, just before the 3.1 opened.

Met some nice folks, rode with a few, and also learned a boatload from PL in a couple of places where I had fallen into habits that tended to not allow me to get all there was out of the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

It was an awesome time, minus a missed (money) shift.....

Patrick is the entire package, and has a lot of focus on the mental side of things. He is a great coach, and a VERY sharp and enjoyable young man! Even with my curtailed driving time, I had tremendous improvement in my lap time, and learned more in one short day than I'd typically pick up in a full weekend behind the wheel at a PCA DE. That is not to say I do not enjoy and value my PCA DE's, it's just that this setting was more focused due to the quality of all of the instructors, Patrick, Bryan, Glen & David coupled with the small group size.

Thanks to all of you for making this a great day!

Now, does anyone have some extra exhaust valves laying around......??
Old 03-28-2007, 03:07 PM
rickdm
Racer

Ed, I feel for you. I just got my 911 back after an engine rebuild caused by a missed shift in the October DE. if it is just some valves it shouldn't be too bad, mine snowballed as we kept finding things that needed to be taken care of. Will you be ready in time for the April DE?

rickdm
Old 03-28-2007, 04:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdm
Ed, I feel for you. I just got my 911 back after an engine rebuild caused by a missed shift in the October DE. if it is just some valves it shouldn't be too bad, mine snowballed as we kept finding things that needed to be taken care of. Will you be ready in time for the April DE?

rickdm
Wow, didn't know you did that....That's what I'm afraid of with mine....that and the potential for "upgrades". I'll miss the April DE, and I'd just signed up for it last Saturday. I'd just done my suspension too, so the car was feeling pretty doggone good.

I think a Rennshift setup is on the list to keep this from happening again.

BTW Rick, nice letter in Excellence! I'm glad you're keeping the 911.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:25 PM
rickdm
Racer

Ed, the club has not been helpful about refunding money on missed DE's so perhaps you should just rent a Spec Miata and come on out. In February when my car was in the shop I went out and bought a Miata for my sons , and drove it in the DE. It was really a blast.

rickdm
Old 03-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Hey Rick, I can finally put a face to the name. I'm Greg, I'm the younger guy with the black BMW 330Ci. Sorry to hear about your overrev, sounds like you'll be ready for the April DE though. I still have a ton of work to do to my POS untill then.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 PM
rickdm
Racer

Of course Greg. I would not have recognized you just by the car picture, but when you said 'younger' I immediately knew Hope to see you in April. The Miata was fun, but I am really happy to have the 911 back.

rickdm
Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rickdm
I would not have recognized you just by the car picture, but when you said 'younger' I immediately knew
I'm the undercover 12 year old

Quick Reply: Patrick Long Advanced DE day at MSR