Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melo bumped Jorg!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to Jörg's voice over the radio after the finish. His Dad sure didn't whinge like that. Jörg knows big boys lean on each other.

R+C
Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Jorg just blew turn 17. I lost a race at Roebling the same way, and it'll never happen to me again like that. After squeezing by on the straight, Jorg should have parked it in 17 and made sure that the inside line was his. His mistake was that he tried to run away from Melo. He should have made Melo drive around him, or at least keep it under control enough so that if/when Melo bumped him, he wouldn't spin. He could have blocked him all the way to the checkered.
You hit the nail on the head with this post! It was purely a failure of tactics and line control on Jorg's part. I had exactly the same experience in a FF race 30 years ago. Well even the pros learn something every race...

Gary
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Jorg just blew turn 17. I lost a race at Roebling the same way, and it'll never happen to me again like that. After squeezing by on the straight, Jorg should have parked it in 17 and made sure that the inside line was his. His mistake was that he tried to run away from Melo. He should have made Melo drive around him, or at least keep it under control enough so that if/when Melo bumped him, he wouldn't spin. He could have blocked him all the way to the checkered.
Exactly! I have tried to say this, but not as well, right after the race, but the Porsche crowed would have none of it. I still feel this way.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

My only issue is people calling it "good clean racing" It defintiely wasn't dirty, but it wasn't completely clean either.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Exactly! I have tried to say this, but not as well, right after the race, but the Porsche crowed would have none of it. I still feel this way.
So yours and everyone else's point is that he should have expected to get bumped?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
So yours and everyone else's point is that he should have expected to get bumped?
It's a pro race with a lot at stake. I think that to not expect a bump would be naive. Better to be prepared for what does not come than not to be ready for what does.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure who everyone else is, but my point is, as I said above, that I agree with, and have said something similar to what Larry said:

"Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Jorg just blew turn 17. I lost a race at Roebling the same way, and it'll never happen to me again like that. After squeezing by on the straight, Jorg should have parked it in 17 and made sure that the inside line was his. His mistake was that he tried to run away from Melo. He should have made Melo drive around him, or at least keep it under control enough so that if/when Melo bumped him, he wouldn't spin. He could have blocked him all the way to the checkered".

I would expect "bumping" in that situation, in that race, all the way to the checker if they were together that long. Jorg let him inside, where he could have his way with him. He shouldn't have let him inside after taking the lead. Jorg was in the lead, just not at the point that counts.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:13 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 819 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Jorg let him inside, where he could have his way with him. He shouldn't have let him inside after taking the lead.
Yep, that's what I pretty much think. It was still a dirty move, but Jorg should have shut the door or cut back across Melo's nose.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Absolutely. On the last lap, in the last corner, for the win of what is arguably the most important sports car race in America, I would expect everything short of being spun out if I leave the door open. And, if I had been beat like Jorg was, I would probably complain just like he did after the race, not because I really thought it was dirty, but because I would be so pumped up and upset, and a little bit shamed for getting beat.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's try this: would Jorg have lost if he wasn't bumped?

Also, if Melo was in the bumping spirit, why would have "shutting the door" helped? Wouldn't Melo have hit him anyway?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Tough to tell...though I'm not sure why it matters. A bump is a perfectly good racing move in that situation.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Nano
Racer

Jorg braked late, Melo moved on a faster line... jorg lost. Melo had the better line, by a big margin.

Maybe Jorg thought melo was still on the outside, whathever the reason, Jorg lost because of Jorg.

Also, if Melo was in the bumping spirit, why would have "shutting the door" helped? Wouldn't Melo have hit him anyway?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 819 Likes on 416 Posts

If Jorg has stayed directly in front of Melo and Meo had still hit him, I think Melo would have been penalized.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

It wouldn't have done any good to hit him directly from behind, so I doubt Melo would have bothered...it would have just slowed both of them up. What evidence to you have to point to Melo just wanting to bump Jorg as opposed to Melo using a strategic bump to the side of Jorgs rear fender in order to wedge his way into the inside line?
Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Nano
Jorg braked late, Melo moved on a faster line... jorg lost. Melo had the better line, by a big margin.

Maybe Jorg thought melo was still on the outside, whathever the reason, Jorg lost because of Jorg.

Melo still wasnt faster than him. Jorg was faster out of the corner till melo made him loose. Thats the problem, it doesnt look like it in regular speed, but in slow mo birdseye you can see it. Jorg had to get off the gas to save it so it looks like melo was faster. If jorg wasnt bumped he would have took off on the outside line and run away from him.

Also jorg didnt nessesarily brake late, melo pushed him way inside so it looks like he braked late when he was just on a different line.

And a bump is fine when your side by side, infact it makes it exciting, but hitting someones raer corner is a no.

Quick Reply: Melo bumped Jorg!