Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimB
Charlie,
how about "bumping is racing, punting is bull****"
Jim
What about "Melo is a big Punt" with a big Porsche logo above it.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
dug911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
A friend has the final 2 hours on Tivo. Since I'm TV impared, can you copy from Tivio to disc or any other media ?

Yes, I do this but it is a bit clumsy.

I output the Tivo to a Hauppauge TV tuner card that is connected to my PC. Then I record to the PC anything replayed from the Tivo.

A one hour show takes about 1.6 GB. Then you can replay on any TV using Windows Media Player or other mpg player.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

That kind of racing is only good for the ALMS, I am glad to see it.

I have to say, Jorg is a pro, what a drive! I was on the edge of my seat screaming!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:54 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Count me in on a t-shirt....size XXL

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:57 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL2HF-sFLnc

last lap
Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Bill935K3
Racer

Default How Speed dot com reports it & Mello quote

Melo, who drove with Mika Salo and Johnny Mowlem, led by five seconds with 11 minutes left but by the final lap Bergmeister was tucked right behind his rear bumper. The two cars crossed the start-finish line just before Werner took the checkered flag. So instead of a one-second victory, Melo had to hold off the young Porsche factory driver for another full circuit.
Bergmeister, partnering with Johannes van Overbeek and Marc Lieb, finally caught up with Melo entering Turn 16 and on to the long backstretch. He pulled alongside Melo and barely moved past him as the two headed into the final turn. They remained door-to-door and made contact as Melo edged across the line.
"It was a fantastic last lap," Melo said. "I've never had a finish like that. I had brake problems late and tried to keep it steady. He (Bergmeister) overtook me on the backstraight and I braked a little early. Out of Turn 17 I put in a little more and opened the throttle as soon as possible."
My thoughts near the end were Bergmeister is going to catch him but passing him will be very very interesting. Then Mello did do an outstanding job end of a triple stint and no fresh tires so Bergmeister (also giving a great performance) did not get to him unitll the hairpin on last lap.

Last lap of the most prestigious sports car race in the US and one of the top 4 in the world, Sorry Rick you've got to wreck or upset the car to get by me AND if you get by me make the move so I can not get back to your bumper while vulnerable. The trick is doing this kind of "pro-stuff" (that is really should only be allowed on the last lap) and not wrecking, that's what makes it one of the greatest finishes ever. Our problem is the wrong car won
Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill935K3
My thoughts near the end were Bergmeister is going to catch him but passing him will be very very interesting. Then Mello did do an outstanding job end of a triple stint and no fresh tires so Bergmeister (also giving a great performance) did not get to him unitll the hairpin on last lap.

Last lap of the most prestigious sports car race in the US and one of the top 4 in the world, Sorry Rick you've got to wreck or upset the car to get by me AND if you get by me make the move so I can not get back to your bumper while vulnerable. The trick is doing this kind of "pro-stuff" (that is really should only be allowed on the last lap) and not wrecking, that's what makes it one of the greatest finishes ever. Our problem is the wrong car won
+10

Bergmiester , king of tears : 2nd sebring 07
Old 03-19-2007, 01:40 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Results are now final (unfortunately)...

http://www.imsaracing.net/2007/event..._FinalRace.pdf
Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 PM
Nano
Racer

Originally Posted by kary993
Perhaps the better team won...not sure...but I saw Melo make quite a few mistakes on that last lap land et Jorg back in there. Not usre Melo was handling the pressue so well, was he the best driver/team. That is questionable.
I think the Risi team commented they had brake issues during the last laps. That and the worn tires) may account for how irregularly wide Melo's car was running the last laps.

I think how Bergmeister entered the last corner was a dissapointment. How Melo setup to overtake Bergmeister in corner 17 was a gorgeous text-book move, the execution unfortunately was not text-book. But I'm not sure it's entirely Melo's fault, or that his punt was intentional. or that Bergmeister lost because of Melo. Melo was driving his guts out 105%, and he expected bergmeister to drive just as hard. Bergmeister didn't... was out-driven, and lost.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:09 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill935K3

+1

There's just no way you'll lose after 12 hours on a last lap. "Johnny O" said it well in post race interview when he said he would've roughed up his team mate like Melo did and then went ahead and said he would've roughed up even harder if needed.

Melo was rought but his line and set up (for a re-pass after Jorg passed him) IMO was very good driving. To me it lookes as he would've had good chance of passing Jorg even without roughing him so much or at all.

In any case, it's all in the books now and Ferrari is a winner.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
"Johnny O" said it well in post race interview when he said he would've roughed up his team mate like Melo did and then went ahead and said he would've roughed up even harder if needed.
Johnny is easily one of the best guys in the paddock. I had him as an instructor at a Panoz school when I first got into racing. He's down to earth and he's earned his career the hard way. A true racer...if Johnny says it was the right move, it was the right move.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
That was the worst display of unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen..!! Deplorable..!

Melo didn't earn it he stole it. That was not defensive driving, he purposly made contact to advance his position. You could see it in the faces at the interview, they knew it was not right and the teamates of Melo couldn't hide it either...watch it again...
what about what david coutlhard smashed into Alex Wurz at the Australian GP?

here is the video of the GT2 battle

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fbl_Yjm7VBk
Old 03-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John H
I seem to remember a Porsche jumping a curb and taking out a GTO for a win last year. They did not penalize that one which was even more egregious. Granted that was s different series but still...

It will make for some interesting racing this year.
Mexico City - Fall 2005

The driver of the GTO bumped (pruett?) a few turns before.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:08 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1

There's just no way you'll lose after 12 hours on a last lap. "Johnny O" said it well in post race interview when he said he would've roughed up his team mate like Melo did and then went ahead and said he would've roughed up even harder if needed.

Melo was rought but his line and set up (for a re-pass after Jorg passed him) IMO was very good driving. To me it lookes as he would've had good chance of passing Jorg even without roughing him so much or at all.

In any case, it's all in the books now and Ferrari is a winner.

Jorg could have done any of the moves melo tried at any point inorder to win starting from about 5 turns to the finish. Bottom line he didnt. Melo's a cheat for the punt. I loved the bumping and the fight but when melo is trying to punt and then ram jorg into a wall thats completley cheap. He knew it too if you watch his interview.

As for the ferrari *** here, how about if you are on the recieving end of a cheap *** move like that?? You just charged from 10 seconds back in 10 laps too get a nice little surprise and then takes you out multiple times until he forces you to wreck or get off the gas so he can win.

Like jorg said, obviously thats how melo needs to race inorder to win races.

IMO melo is an awful driver. He made one good move (the inside cut on 17) but instead of actually driving out of it and drag racing to the end he went straight to punt jorg. WHY? because the porsche was raping him out of every corner and down the straights and he knew this.

Jorg will not be returning the favor to melo he is way to much of a class act to succumb to cheap moves to win, but i bet that the risi ferrari is going to have fun moving through the porsche traffic from here on out.

Its just promoting dirty racing, its a shame. A little bumping is fun to watch but with a little bumping there is still a drag race not a sitituation where one guy pulls out ahead, unless the guy then ahead tried to take the other out.

I love how jorg was "outdrivin" when melo was the one who lost a SIGNIFICANT lead and had to punt jorg to win.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:12 AM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Congo
Mexico City - Fall 2005

The driver of the GTO bumped (pruett?) a few turns before.

thats even worse than what melo did. cheap *** move. If you cant win clean you dont deserve it.

Quick Reply: Melo bumped Jorg!