Melo bumped Jorg!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 01:53 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poor jorg ,hmmm poooorr Jorg, lost the race because of a dirty Varmin,
A moment of silence please ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ........................................................................ ....

ahhmm thanks , OK; heeeeha Yessssir , Sebring 07 what a race , see yuh again next year yuh hear
Old 03-20-2007, 03:24 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Jorg is a gentleman but he got schooled in the last corner...right up to that point he was awesome. I'm almost positive that if you ask Jorg and he answers honestly, the answer is, I should've shut the EFFING door on the Ferrari.

If it were the other way around all Porsche guys would be saying how wiley and cagey Jorg is...His best response now is to try to beat the snot out of that Ferrari the rest of the year and win the championship!
Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
If it were the other way around all Porsche guys would be saying how wiley and cagey Jorg is...His best response now is to try to beat the snot out of that Ferrari the rest of the year and win the championship!
Yup. Jorg is one of very few in the paddock who thinks Melo made the wrong move. And Jorg only thinks that way because he was on the losing end of it. Melo didn't wreck Jorg...Jorg's car never even got the slightest bit sideways. Ya'll are acting like a bunch of babies over a darn good racing move to win one of the greatest races in sports car racing. Ask any driver in the paddock if he would have done the same and the overwhelming answer will be "Hell yeah!"
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by ztnedman1
thats even worse than what melo did. cheap *** move. If you cant win clean you dont deserve it.
That picture does not show the entire story. The GTO had gone over the curb 1-2 turns earlier and hit David Murray. It was not a clean pass by the GTO at all as he bumped him to get by...actually similar to what Melo did. David did what Jorg should have done. He said "Ok, if you wanna bump me, I'll make sure I get by you".
Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
Jorg is a gentleman but he got schooled in the last corner...right up to that point he was awesome. I'm almost positive that if you ask Jorg and he answers honestly, the answer is, I should've shut the EFFING door on the Ferrari.

+1
Old 03-20-2007, 12:00 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Ask any driver in the paddock if he would have done the same and the overwhelming answer will be "Hell yeah!"
If their answer is different, they shouldn't be racing!!
Old 03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jorg just blew turn 17. I lost a race at Roebling the same way, and it'll never happen to me again like that. After squeezing by on the straight, Jorg should have parked it in 17 and made sure that the inside line was his. His mistake was that he tried to run away from Melo. He should have made Melo drive around him, or at least keep it under control enough so that if/when Melo bumped him, he wouldn't spin. He could have blocked him all the way to the checkered.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Jorg just blew turn 17. I lost a race at Roebling the same way, and it'll never happen to me again like that. After squeezing by on the straight, Jorg should have parked it in 17 and made sure that the inside line was his. His mistake was that he tried to run away from Melo. He should have made Melo drive around him, or at least keep it under control enough so that if/when Melo bumped him, he wouldn't spin. He could have blocked him all the way to the checkered.
Jorg probably thought that he had enough cornering speed to get through T17 faster than Melo once Melo went to the brakes earlier to fall in behind...turns out that Melo had enough tire left to get on the throttle earlier and catch Jorg mid corner.

Man, I love watching the overhead shot at the end of the video. You can see Jorg force Melo back to the outside before turn-in, then Jorg turns way inside to try to take the line away...then you can see Melo pull of the throttle hard and cut back to the inside. Jorg had the race won if he had just stayed inside another car width on the 2nd apex instead of taking his "normal" line.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:10 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Jorg probably thought that he had enough cornering speed to get through T17 faster than Melo once Melo went to the brakes earlier to fall in behind...turns out that Melo had enough tire left to get on the throttle earlier and catch Jorg mid corner.

Man, I love watching the overhead shot at the end of the video. You can see Jorg force Melo back to the outside before turn-in, then Jorg turns way inside to try to take the line away...then you can see Melo pull of the throttle hard and cut back to the inside. Jorg had the race won if he had just stayed inside another car width on the 2nd apex instead of taking his "normal" line.
Correcto mundo
Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is excactly the way I saw it (and I think I tried to explain it before).
Old 03-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Jorg probably thought that he had enough cornering speed to get through T17 faster than Melo
Yep, and he went wide carrying too much speed, which allowed Melo to get that inside bump on him. After trying to pass a guy for the lead at Roebling for 5 laps down the main straight, I finally got a good run & when he forced me onto the inside grass, I stayed there and beat him into the braking zone. I should have parked it and ruined his momentum, but I tried to race throught turn 1 to pull away and spun at the exit.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I should have parked it and ruined his momentum, but I tried to race throught turn 1 to pull away and spun at the exit.
I've learned that often the "best" pass under braking is to go inside and match the braking of the car you are passing so that you control the turn even if you have the ability to pull ahead. If you totally out-brake the car and go into the turn ahead of him on the inside, he'll have the chance to overslow, turn sharper and try to beat you up the inside on track out. It can be downright comical when the driver being passed starts to overslow in order to try to cut back to the inside and you continue to match his pace on the inside until you are both doing about 35 mph at the turn-in point.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jorg probably thought that he had enough cornering speed to get through T17 faster than Melo
Did you guys hear the comment from on of the announcers that the F430 had apex speeds as fast or faster than the prototypes?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've learned that often the "best" pass under braking is to go inside and match the braking of the car you are passing so that you control the turn even if you have the ability to pull ahead. If you totally out-brake the car and go into the turn ahead of him on the inside, he'll have the chance to overslow, turn sharper and try to beat you up the inside on track out. It can be downright comical when the driver being passed starts to overslow in order to try to cut back to the inside and you continue to match his pace on the inside until you are both doing about 35 mph at the turn-in point.
Thanks. I think that I'll add that to my repertoire!
Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Absolutely correct...the ol' Senna/Alonso mid corner brake check!!

Quick Reply: Melo bumped Jorg!