Sponsored by:

Melo bumped Jorg!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick DeMan
That was the worst display of unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen..!! Deplorable..!

Melo didn't earn it he stole it. That was not defensive driving, he purposly made contact to advance his position. You could see it in the faces at the interview, they knew it was not right and the teamates of Melo couldn't hide it either...watch it again...
I saw an interview with Melo later in the night and Melo said he was protecting his lead and position! In my eyes he lost his position going into turn 17 even though he squezzed Jorge into the wall going into turn 17 Jorge gained the lead....then he bumped Jorge coming out of turn 17 to regain the lead.

If this is OK to do in the rules then this type of driving has set the pace for the season.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:10 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clif
this ain't nascar, and since the "rules" were enforced on earlier avoidable bumping , even on pit lane, i think it should be consistently enforced as not enforcing encourages more problems in the future. were the roles reversed i would say take a penalty for the porsche. i think this sets up a scenario where the ferrari gets a "justice" bump in a future race. by not being consistent i think you encourage this type of driving which is both unsportsmanlike and dangerous. the danger is the mentality of the ends justifies the means.

What Unsportsman like
Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Also when Jorge got a better run out of turn 16 and going down the back straight Jorge clearly had the lead but Melo was "protecting" what he though was his lead by driving down the middle of the straight and squeezing Jorge way to the inside.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
GREAT RACE!! Melo drove the wheels off the car to hang onto the lead...you could tell his tires were gone, and he still made an awesome move to repass Jorg in the final turn. The rules allow the officials some leeway...if that had happened on Lap 20, there would have been a pit penalty...on the last lap of the race, that's darn good racing. Jorg is pissed, as he should be since he lost, but he's a racer and would have done the same thing to get the win.

Kind of like in the NBA where the officials don't like to call a foul in a tie game at the buzzer to allow foul shots to determine the outcome....only exception of course was in the case of Jordan. He would always get the call back in the day.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ohh yeah, the 13/13 guys are it again

Jorg blew the race OK , he went down the inside and did not hold the inside line to block melos as he wanted more exit speed , HE WAS OUT DRIVEN AS HE WAS ALL RACE BY A BETTER TEAM AND DRIVERS, who if not for recieving a pit lane infraction , jorg would not have been close enough to challenge for the lead , get over it and head back to DE guys... the better drivers and team won
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
In deed, awesome racing! I don't blame Melo too much, I would've done the same thing if it was me, it is after 12 hours and you just can't lose in last corner, no way.
IMO it was very rough but I would not penalize.

I am much more upset about RS Spyders. Porsche prototypes sucked.

+10 Finn ,

Not suprised by the RS spyders
Old 03-18-2007, 12:44 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

While it may have been exciting to watch, I can see how Jorg would be ticked about it. Melo hit him twice in 17. First he punted him and got him sliding, then he pushed out to the wall killing his momentum. It could have easily ended up different with Jorg crashing and perhaps injured. How would you view it then ? Everyone would say Melo went too far. I say he went too far here because it was only through incredible skill that Jorg averted a crash. Many lesser drivers would have been toast. Maybe Jorg should have waited to make his move in 17 and just punted Melo instead of trying to make a clean pass.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

watch the reply Jorg did some bumping himself ...
Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I never saw it.

On a side note I thought it was great that Speed spent so much air time covering the GT2 class. So often the lower classes get left out of the story in these mixed events. Many times the GT class in Grand -Am Rolex is completely left out of the coverage when there is some awesome racing going on.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to see where Jorg bumped Melo. If someone has those final few minutes would they please post them online at You Tube or someplace similar and provide a link. Thanks in advance...
Old 03-18-2007, 01:09 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I seem to remember a Porsche jumping a curb and taking out a GTO for a win last year. They did not penalize that one which was even more egregious. Granted that was s different series but still...

It will make for some interesting racing this year.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:20 PM
kary993
Drifting

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
watch the reply Jorg did some bumping himself ...
Only in response to Melo aggressive bumping. I do not blame Jorg for his feelings nor his own aggressive driving to defend his position. It was good up into the half throught he final turn...then Melo made it dangerous which forced Jorg to be safe and keep the car going straight. As well Jorg does not drive that way...actually there really is no need to drive that...if they all drove that way to win that series would like NASCAR with all the wrecks.

I for one am sad to see what happened there...good racing up until the front straight to the finish line.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:21 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

The message being sent here is it's ok to punt the leader in the last corner of a big race.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

You know what, you are right. sometimes you have to make your own luck. he made a terrific move to the inside, should have kept it narrow all the way around the exit. Then, he wouldnt have been in the situation he got in.
I still dont like the "punt to pass" move, but it was close racing and we have seen this before.

Remember the speedGT race last year or the season before where the caddliac did this, But the porsche he was passing trying to paas took a way narrow and slow line on the exit, so much so, the caddilac was going to do a sissor and couldnt slow down and punted the porsche. the caddilac was penalized, even though in that case, the porsche didnt need to block on the exit.

Mk

Jorg blew the race OK , he went down the inside and did not hold the inside line to block melos as he wanted more exit speed , HE WAS OUT DRIVEN AS HE WAS ALL RACE BY A BETTER TEAM AND DRIVERS, who if not for recieving a pit lane infraction , jorg would not have been close enough to challenge for the lead , get over it and head back to DE guys... the better drivers and team won
Old 03-18-2007, 01:45 PM
kary993
Drifting

Perhaps the better team won...not sure...but I saw Melo make quite a few mistakes on that last lap land et Jorg back in there. Not usre Melo was handling the pressue so well, was he the best driver/team. That is questionable.

Yes his tires were going off but that was a decision they made to stay ahead. Yes they were penalized, part of racing I am afraid. As I said, good race until half way through the last turn. I can win every race I am in if I punt people that way...that is not good racing. There will be some firewaroks later this season at some point you can bet.

Quick Reply: Melo bumped Jorg!