Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVR / HCP Advanced DE May 16/17

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great event! It's my third time, and I'll be back next year, if the car holds out. Many thanks to the organizers, and all those who made it great. And, special thanks to Rick Betterley, who was generous enough, and a talented enough instructor to come out with me and help me start to get past a block that was really bugging me.

There has been a little discussion already about the mixture of cups and saucers, and there was a fair amount of discussion in the garage about the cups running in the saucers group. I am a devout saucer, and find there are pro's and con's to the current arrangement, but on balance I would like to come out on the side of more segregation of the two groups.

It's fun to have a variety of cars and speeds on the track. It was pretty common for a flock of cups running together to pass as a group, whether all had been given permission or not. Usually, I didn't mind...I had come to expect it, and it spices things up to have to be aware, and to find a different line through a corner, as this often resulted in pretty late passing. I found it commonplace enough, though, that it was hard to get a rhythm going at my substantially slower pace. Moreover, if I had found someone roughly my pace to follow or who might be following me (I always enjoy this), it tended to bust things up, and we would lose each other in traffic.

So, FWIW, my suggestion: segregated groups, self-assignment at the time of registration, with the organizers and participants having the option to reassign at the event.

See ya next year
Bill
Old 05-18-2007, 04:03 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David K.
Anyone know the website of photographer?
www.tracktimephotos.com
Old 05-18-2007, 04:52 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill N
What a great event! It's my third time, and I'll be back next year, if the car holds out. Many thanks to the organizers, and all those who made it great. And, special thanks to Rick Betterley, who was generous enough, and a talented enough instructor to come out with me and help me start to get past a block that was really bugging me.

There has been a little discussion already about the mixture of cups and saucers, and there was a fair amount of discussion in the garage about the cups running in the saucers group. I am a devout saucer, and find there are pro's and con's to the current arrangement, but on balance I would like to come out on the side of more segregation of the two groups.

It's fun to have a variety of cars and speeds on the track. It was pretty common for a flock of cups running together to pass as a group, whether all had been given permission or not. Usually, I didn't mind...I had come to expect it, and it spices things up to have to be aware, and to find a different line through a corner, as this often resulted in pretty late passing. I found it commonplace enough, though, that it was hard to get a rhythm going at my substantially slower pace. Moreover, if I had found someone roughly my pace to follow or who might be following me (I always enjoy this), it tended to bust things up, and we would lose each other in traffic.

So, FWIW, my suggestion: segregated groups, self-assignment at the time of registration, with the organizers and participants having the option to reassign at the event.

See ya next year
Bill
+1

With slightly relaxed passing rules in cups.

Last edited by fstockcarrera; 05-18-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I think if there hadn't been so many problems on day 1 they wouldn't have been as harsh yesterday. I watched a car pass three cars without a signal (twice in turns) while running a black flag. I saw numerous passes in corners. It was not pretty on day 1.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I think if there hadn't been so many problems on day 1 they wouldn't have been as harsh yesterday. I watched a car pass three cars without a signal (twice in turns) while running a black flag. I saw numerous passes in corners. It was not pretty on day 1.
There is no reason to get angry or belligerant with anyone when you are in a position of authority. If they break the rules, you warn them. If they do it again, you just throw them out. The end result is the same, and I find that you actually get more respect and cooperation when you are nice about it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 05-18-2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: content edited by request
Old 05-18-2007, 05:46 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Please leave me out of this conversation. I don't think it does anyone any good to dwell on the negative aspects of the event. Not all of the facts are in, and I don't think the public forum is the best place to resolve this. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 487 Posts

I do not know Geoffrey or the incident in question, so this is not meant to address that particular situation.

My observations were that, especially on day one when I think run groups were very crowded because of the rain shortened day, there was quite a bit of passing w/o signal. I personally witnessed passing in the esses w/o a signal. In truth this can happen in any DE not just this particular one. I think to pass w/o a singnal when the rules are so clearly laid out is completley disrespectful to other drivers and to event organisers that put there time and, probably to some extent..their asses on the line.

On the other hand...this is billed as 'advanced DE'. Without being disrespectful for anyone here or at the event, a white driver is not 'advanced'. It is not about HP it is about track awarness at this point. I believe it is widely accepted that white is the diciest of run groups in that you have drivers just out of green/blue and drivers ready for black. I, myself, could not wait to get out of white. I remember beign at the Glen in white and having drivers actually braking in the esses...not in TT's but sub 250hp cars.

I don't think it is really until you get to black and red that you get/give late passes consistently and know how to anticipate faster, closing drivers and how to get them by w/o impeading their or your momentum. For example I had numerous situations where I was folloiwng, albiet closely, through the outer loop and still no point by on the short straight before the left into the laces. Further I would say that if you are not comforatable giving/taking a pass in the outer loop than you are probably not ready for 'advanced DE'.

I think it really boils down to my thinking that white drivers are not ready to run with black and red drivers and that if white dirvers are allowed in such an event that they should probabley be restricted to saucers . Further, if it remains that white drivers are welcome in this type of DE, cup drivers should just deal with it when running in saucers and realise that they are, in effect, back in white.......for 25 minutes at least.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.

Jamie
Old 05-18-2007, 05:53 PM
jford
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 487 Posts

By the way I had an absolute blast at the event! My favorite of the year.

Cheers,

Jamie
Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Jamie - as you yourself stated White groups in general are comprised of a large variance in skill level. Add to that the fact that a White group in one region is not necessarily at the same level as another region's white. Maybe requiring a region's CI's endorsement for this particular event wouldn't be a bad idea.

I had a great time nonetheless and will be there again next year if all the stars are in alignment..
Old 05-18-2007, 06:09 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

You sure have!
Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Have people sent applications to this already? I see on the web site that "Applications will not be accepted if postmarked prior to the date registration opens" and that date is next Monday, March 5. I planned to mail then. Have I screwed up already?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:22 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE, cup drivers should just deal with it when running in saucers and realise that they are, in effect, back in white.......for 25 minutes at least.

Jamie[/QUOTE]

+1

I usually just went out in saucers to get heat in the tires as it was cold,
Old 05-18-2007, 08:17 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Bob, I can tell you that there wasn't much differece in speed between the two groups, and that the closing rates from the faster cars was as much as 50-75mph at times based on my experiences. I thought for the most part, the slower cars, when running in the Cup group, did a good job at pointing people by which helped significantly.
Geoffrey, I had absolutely no problem with the speeds and enjoyed the cups being out there. My wife ran in Saucers and I rode shotgun for a session with her and saw not reall issues. A couple of close calls with the black RSR, but was really what I expected and put me more in the "Clash mode" coming up. Thanks again. I never got a chance to run my full slick Hoosiers (car broke before the completely dry sessions), but still saw 2:14's on my D car, so my corner speeds were not off-pace with the cups and I would give them early points. Who had the red 996, 02 in Cups? I had a good run with him and would like to thank him for the cat and mouse session on the first day.

BTW, Thanks to Joel Reiser and Larry (as usual) for helping me with the defective clutch assembly. We almost fixed it, but at least I went home knowing what to do.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Bill
Thank you, Bill - it was fun riding with you (both with and without my glasses!).
You did great; bring that attitude to your next event and you are all set.
See you at Le Circuit!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C&S

It was great to see all of you at the Glen. It was also nice to put faces to the online names. Big fun!

Sean, good speaking with you. Sorry I didnt make it out with you. Next time.

Geoffry, had a blast trying to stay ahead of you. Too bad my car crapped out on Thursday as I know we would have had more fun.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the metro DE and Club Race.

JL
Old 05-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See ya next year
Bill
Thanks for coming down Bill. You gotta get a Canadian Cups and Saucers at Mosport so you can have some homecourt retaliation. I was at the DE at the Club Race in 2005 and i had my hands full fending off the homies. I only saw you once on the tracks, (on Thursday) so we must have been running comperable speeds. The one time I saw you I was in a groove so I kept on sailing.

Maybe I'll squeeze NNJR @ Mosport. Either way I dice wih you later!

Alan

Quick Reply: HVR / HCP Advanced DE May 16/17