Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all Lexan Experts (993 application)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Calling all Lexan Experts (993 application)

Can someone give me some input and direction to vendors that supply the pre-cut sizes for a 993 (1995 specifically). I am aware that there are some out there that sell oversized, but am really wanting a drop-in application.

From what I understand, the Lexan can be mounted with factory seals, or flush mounted with the straps on teh rear glass. Pros/cons of each.

Application would be for rear window and rear quarters. Any input on sourcing and installation would be greatly appreciated. Pics would be twice as nice!

Thank you.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For the windscreen I would suggest looking at the Shields brand windscreen which is available with a scratch resistant coating and will fit in the rubber gasket of the 993 frame.

The rear and sides are usually just cheap noncoated polycarbonate from a variety of sources such as GT Racing, but I doubt they will fit in the stock window frame.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try Smart Racing less $$$. I was surprised to find how easy the lexan can be trimmed with some patience.
I reused the factory seals and trim on my 911. I used a jig saw with a fine blade and did not remove the protection until all trimming was completed.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hard is it to fit the windscreen ? Can a glass guy do it without F-ing it up bad ?

Do you need the hold down tabs ?
Old 02-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

The windscreen needs to be a moulded piece, not a cut-to-fit out of a flat sheet. You can get them that fit in the factory rubber gasket or you can get them that fit into a flush mounted window frame. I have a poorly made one from a company and it fits in the rubber frame but I also have it safety wired to my roll cage. Under the rubber lip, I drilled 2 small holes per side and ran safet wire through it to the cage. It is unnoticable and has worked well. The Shields brand is much better than what I purchased and will fit better. I installed it myself YMMV
Old 02-21-2007, 12:34 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah i realize it's moulded but i thought they needed a little trimming.

You know what gets me .... PCA wil not allow a lexan rear quarter window to run a cool shirt naca duct but will let you run a lexan windscreen ???

Thanks for the advice as usual Geoffrey.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:51 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

AC 993C2S, Andy,

Getty Design sells the flush frame and lexan together for our cars, ready to fit.

You can glue them together if you do not want to show any brackets or bolts etc.. The only bad experience I had with this setup was driving from Hockenheim to Nurburgring under pouring rain, I could have been in a cabrio just as well.

This can be fixed however with proper mounting. If I was to do it all over again, I would buy the RS thin glass instead.
You need to change your lexan every oncein a while depending where you park your car and how well you maintain it.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Submit a rules change for 2008
Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
AndyT
Three Wheelin'

I'd just like to know the reason ? Can anyone think of a vaild reason ?

Quick Reply: Calling all Lexan Experts (993 application)