Sponsored by:

Hoosier vs. MPSC

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:49 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hoosier vs. MPSC

The stock rear wheels on the 997 GT3 are 12" X 19". Michelin makes the MPSC N version in 305/30, but Hoosier only makes a 295/30 in the R6 compound, and does not appear to offer a 305/30.

Which is the better choice, assuming one wanted to run the stock or stock size rims for use in DE and TT events?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the tread width of the two tires as they will vary differently depending on manufacturer.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, Hoosiers tend to be much wider than their stated section width.

That said, MPSC's are going to last a lot longer, so why not use them for DE's and such?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:08 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Dave(VR). Use the MPSCs. When I ran an RSA in D class, I use to run the MPSCs for everything except actual qualifying & racing. That's when I went to the Hoosiers.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hoosier R6s are a different tire from the previous Hoosier tires and last significantly longer (and require completely different air pressures). I now find that both the MPSCs and the R6s heat cycle out before I cord them.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:31 PM
underpsi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did your lap times vary between the MPSC and R6??

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I'm with Dave(VR). Use the MPSCs. When I ran an RSA in D class, I use to run the MPSCs for everything except actual qualifying & racing. That's when I went to the Hoosiers.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
The Hoosier R6s are a different tire from the previous Hoosier tires and last significantly longer (and require completely different air pressures). I now find that both the MPSCs and the R6s heat cycle out before I cord them.

Interesting. I hadn't heard this about the R6's before.

Must investigate.....
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

That is good news on the Hoosiers. The first R6s were just coming out a couple of years ago when I bought the cupcar so I don't have any experience with them. Sounds like Hoosier has made significant progress with them since then

PS: The Michelin Cup slicks rule in the cupcar world. Nothing else even comes close
Old 02-07-2007, 06:52 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi
I have run both the R6s and the MPSCs. I first used the R6s at the Watkins Glen club race. Now, the Hoosiers felt a ton faster, but my lap times were slower than what I would have expected (I only managed a 2:12.0 in the sprint). So for the enduro, I decided to go back to my trusty MPSCs. The set I put back on had ~24 heat cycles on them, so they were hardly in their prime. I go out in the enduro warm-up and run 2:11.5. Then in the enduro I pull a 2:10.2. So for me, even older MPSCs were way faster than Hoosier...at least on that day.

Now, given that was my very first time on Hoosiers, I decided to keep trying them. I next ran a DE event at Lime Rock. The entire 2 days I struggled to get the pressures dialed in. When I finally got the pressures where they should be, I still seemed to be getting tire temps that were too high. And my times sucked. So, after all that I ditched the R6s and went back to MPSCs.

Now, maybe I didn't give them enough time, but I just could get the Hoosier to be fast. They would feel ok, but after a few mins of driving would start to feel greasy in the rear (hey now).

So I liked the MPSCs better. From what I gather, people with heavier cars (3000lbs +) seem to like MPSCs, while people with lighter cars (2850 and under) prefer the Hoosiers.

Your results may vary.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by underpsi
Initially, like first 4-6 heat cycles, the R6s were faster by 1+ secs on my 993. Then they seemed fairly even on the heavy car. I have a set of each mounted up for the Cup Car and will know more in April.

I will add after reading Colin's post that until i got the temps right with the R6s, they were greasy when they got hot. In the beginning, Hoosier and their distributors were calling for 40psi hot, with a 3300lb car starting at 30-31 cold. I, and others found this to be too hot, and I got the best results on that heavy 993 with the hot temps in the 37psi area, no more than 38psi. I have heard others who like 36psi. I think it was a big adjustment for traditional Hoosier users/sellers to go that low with their suggested pressures after the old Hoosiers, which wanted much more pressure.

I remember being at Lime rock when Colin was having problems with the R6 temps, and agreeing that it wasn't worth the effort when the MPSCs worked so well for him. I ended up buying some new R6s from him as i recall.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:10 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Are any of you guys familar with a NEW BF Goodrich Comp TA R1 (DOT). These are not the old drag tires but, something pretty new. I was told they are very good.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Are any of you guys familar with a NEW BF Goodrich Comp TA R1 (DOT). These are not the old drag tires but, something pretty new. I was told they are very good.
I thought it was joke until I Google'd it. Here is what I found:

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overv...e-r1/3824.html

Looks like only 911 18 inch sizes. Interesting..................

G.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:05 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

lawjdc, I thought the BFs might offer a third option but, according to their literature, (thanks for the link george) they are not making anything that will fit your car.
I was told they were as good or better than MPSC and less $$. MPSCs are getting over the top.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 PM
underpsi
Instructor

I guess it sounds like going to the hoosiers may not be advantagous for me. Have you tried running the Corsas? I seem to like the Corsas better than the MPSC, during mosport i did 1:34s in my C class 3.6T but now i'm no the yokos 048s and they feel even better but have not be officially timed.

Originally Posted by 38D
I have run both the R6s and the MPSCs. I first used the R6s at the Watkins Glen club race. Now, the Hoosiers felt a ton faster, but my lap times were slower than what I would have expected (I only managed a 2:12.0 in the sprint). So for the enduro, I decided to go back to my trusty MPSCs. The set I put back on had ~24 heat cycles on them, so they were hardly in their prime. I go out in the enduro warm-up and run 2:11.5. Then in the enduro I pull a 2:10.2. So for me, even older MPSCs were way faster than Hoosier...at least on that day.

Now, given that was my very first time on Hoosiers, I decided to keep trying them. I next ran a DE event at Lime Rock. The entire 2 days I struggled to get the pressures dialed in. When I finally got the pressures where they should be, I still seemed to be getting tire temps that were too high. And my times sucked. So, after all that I ditched the R6s and went back to MPSCs.

Now, maybe I didn't give them enough time, but I just could get the Hoosier to be fast. They would feel ok, but after a few mins of driving would start to feel greasy in the rear (hey now).

So I liked the MPSCs better. From what I gather, people with heavier cars (3000lbs +) seem to like MPSCs, while people with lighter cars (2850 and under) prefer the Hoosiers.

Your results may vary.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

At the WG club race this year, I ran 2-3 seconds FASTER on the Hoosiers. Before i go any father I will say that I am comparing MPSCs in 225/285 vs HR6s in 245/305. Also keep in mind that different cars with different weights and different suspension settings will produce different results. I know the MPSC's like ALOT of camber and the Hoosers will perform better with less. I know on my car, I run a much lower pressure on the Hoosiers that they recommend. I also know that it is easier to drive the MPSCs at their limit (more forgiving) than the Hoosiers (R6s). I ran through 3 sets of R6's last year so I have a good feel for them. To really make a determination, you need to try both tires back to back with enough time to vet out the right setup for each. I prefer and seem to be faster on the Hoosier R6s.

Quick Reply: Hoosier vs. MPSC