Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SuperSolo at Homestead--Frequently Asked Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 AM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SuperSolo at Homestead--Frequently Asked Questions...

MISSION STATEMENT
This run group is to accommodate senior level experienced solo drivers, instructors and racers (past and present) who want to drive at a more challenging level. This is an open passing group for all sections of the track including in the turns—point by is optional.
The SuperSolo Committee will thoroughly review the credentials of all applicants. Driving in SuperSolo, as it is within other groups, is a continuous learning process. Your skills should evolve over time and are subject to close review and scrutiny in an effort to remain safe.
SuperSolo is never racing and is not a timed event.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I qualify? If you are a current or previous racer in good standing with the club; or, you are a recognized instructor with PBOC (or with other acceptable Clubs); or you are currently a solo driver with at least one year’s experience (although there will be exceptions), then you qualify.
What safety gear is required for me? An acceptable driving suit and gloves.
What safety gear is required for my car? Roll bar or roll cage, depending on the car and model; arm restraints for open cars, one piece SFI 3.2a/5 driver suite, fire retardant gloves, 5/6 point harness dated 2003 or newer, shoulder belts must pass through seat, sub belt pass through seat bottom cushion or alternate sub belt installation approved, 5 BC fire extinguisher and 3 digit passport car number left & right side of car 4” high if on side windows and 8” high if on any part of the body. If you have any questions, please check with the safety tech manager Bob Varela at bobv4n@aol.com.
How do I register? The way you would normally register for any event. Go to the PBOC “Member’s Registration” section and register in the usual way (i.e., if you are an instructor, register as an instructor; if you are a solo, register as a solo).
How much will it cost? The fee schedule is listed on the Member’s page.
What will happen on Dec Homestead Saturday morning? If you qualify, you will be ready for an “on-track” sign-off by one of the certified instructors. Certain drivers will not need an on-track sign-off.
We will use the first run session of the day for this evaluation process. If you prefer not to be checked out for SuperSolo or, do not qualify for this first session, you will not lose any track time. You will be able to run with the “200” group (regular solo drivers) during the event. At this point, the “100” session is ear marked for the SuperSolo group on Saturday and Sunday.
I hear a lot about manning a flag station, what does this mean? To get a real feel for more than one car in a turn, you should actually experience this up front and personal. So, if you are a solo driver, you will be required to man a flag station for three races during the event. Instructors are urged to do this as well although, on a case-by-case basis, we may waive this requirement for instructors. Racers are exempt from this requirement.
Flagging also enables each of us to better understand and appreciate the only means that we have to communicate with the drivers on the track. Manning a flag station will enable the casual observer to become an integral participant in the program. Knowing the flags are not an option, it is a requirement for all advanced drivers.
Is there a provisional period? Yes, provisional drivers must complete six consecutive incident free days before the provisional status is removed. An “X” is placed on the rear of the car.
Is there a minimum age? Yes, 21.
Can I take someone out with me, like an instructor, etc., when running in SuperSolo? No. Passengers are not permitted.
What are some of the Rules of the Road? Some examples: no blocking; no more than 2 cars in any turn; while in the turn, each driver gets ½ of the track; the passed car stays on-line and the passing car must be prepared to drive off-line; no one owns the track; no one owns the turn; no one owns the line. COMPLETE COOPERATION IS REQUIRED OF ALL PARTICIPANTS. For a complete set of rules, consult the PBOC rulebook.
How is your progress and that of the group monitored? We will use the special Passports. These are assigned books, which contain relevant details including your permanent car number. The passport remains in your car at all times.
What else should I do at this point? Make sure you and your car meet the safety protocols. If you have questions or concerns and want to be placed on the provisional list for Homestead, send an email to Bob Shuster at rs996@bellsouth.net. This will give us a better idea of what level of participation we might expect.
A final note: because this will be our first endeavor, bear with us and be patient. Run sessions are always subject to changes.
Old 11-25-2006, 01:03 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Bob - You, Mitch and BobV have all done a GREAT JOB getting this thing started! I am very happy that current licensed racers are not required to man flagging stations. The only thing I am a little worried about is putting the Green (novice) level drivers in with the Blue (intermediate) level drivers. Could be super intimidating for the novice/first timers anf frustrating for the intermediate. Overall, I can't wait to get this thing started. It is definitely all the rage down here in Fl.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:07 PM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich
By Novice drivers are you referring to guys in SuperSolo who have never done any racing?
Old 11-25-2006, 03:08 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Oops Dan, I forgot to mention you too. I know you have been instrumental in getting super solo up and running too! Sorry 'bout that!

I was referring to the lowest of the 4 groups that will be on the track. I am assuming that the 300 level drivers will be a combination on novice and intermediate level drivers. The 200 level drivers will be solo and Instructors. And 100 level drivers will be SuperSolo, right?. The 4th group would be the racers.

I may have missed a few posts where this was covered but I assume that this is how the PBOC will structure weekends, right? I know combining the Novice and Intermediate drivers has worked in the past with both PCA and PBOC but that will always be a concern of mine. Just my .02 cents.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:22 PM
agio
Racer

...The only thing I am a little worried about is putting the Green (novice) level drivers in with the Blue (intermediate) level drivers. Could be super intimidating for the novice/first timers anf frustrating for the intermediate...
Rich, thanks for the nice words. However, I'm not sure what you're referring to in combining lower groups. Green level (400) and Blue level (300) drivers are not eligible for SuperSolo. Only run group drivers eligible for SuperSolo are red (instructors, 100's), yellow (solo, 200's) and racing run groups.
The 100 run group will become SuperSolo. Those current 100 run group instructors who don't want to run with SuperSolo will drive in the 200 group. Those current 200's who don't become SuperSolo simply will drive as they always have...in the 200 group. Nothing else really changes as far as the SuperSolo is concerned...so 200's and (old) 100's will be combined as often happens at many events; 300's and 400's should run as they have in the past.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:06 PM
DanS911
Pro

Thanks Rich, I haven't really done much yet except be a cheerleader!

I do think that it is important for guys to get that message though, I didn't get it at first.

Old system

400 Novice
300 Intermediate
200 Solo
100 Instructors

New system

400 Novice
300 Intermediate
200 Solo and Instructors not driving in SuperSolo
100 Solo and Instructors Qualified and driving in SuperSolo

No change required in the usual schedule.

Won't affect the racers schedule either (in case you and Erinn are both driving ;^)
Count Betsy in for babysitting Tommy!

Last edited by DanS911; 11-25-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:35 PM
agio
Racer

Dan, spot on!
Also, interested parties have to realize that at this point, depending on circumstances, the SuperSolo may not take off in December. We're going to try and we're hopeful, but no guarantees at this point.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:59 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Ohhhh....ok, I see. So, what you are saying is that in a typical PBOC weekend, we will now be looking at 5 run groups (including the racing group) instead of the of 4 run groups? Otherwise, the Novice and Intermediate groups will have to be combined if they plan to run 4 run groups.

Bob, I know that the lower run groups are not eligible for SuperSolo. I was only referring to them as a combined group, not taking anything away from the SuperSolo group.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:59 PM
DanS911
Pro

In my experience there are usually 5 groups.
Sometimes when the numbers are right groups are combined, (300 & 400, or 100 & 200) but not usually. Often this can be done at the end of the day.
However, as you know I don't make the schedule for PBOC........thank God!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:27 AM
RSchoeni
Instructor

One of the biggest aids to me were (and still are) the ride-alongs with Instructors. Since no passengers are allowed in the 100 group, will Instructors be allowed to give instructional rides to their students in the 200 group?
________
Bob Schoeni
Old 11-26-2006, 10:07 AM
agio
Racer

Rich, I realize that you know that 300 & 400 drivers are not eligible. I just wanted to state it for clarity and for the benefit of anyone else who might be reading the thread.
To help illustrate, the proforma schedule below was for a past Sebring event which took place in Oct. There were 5 run groups: 100, 200, 300, 400 and the racers; each ran 3 times during the day.

8:30 AM 30 min 100 Instructor's
9:00 AM 30 min Race Practice
9:30 AM 30 min 300 Advanced/Intermed
10:00 AM 30 min 200 Solo
10:30 AM 30 min 400 Novice Students
11:00 AM 30 min 100&200 Instructors/Solo
11:30 AM 30 min Race Qualifying
12:00 PM 60 min LUNCH
1:00 PM 30 min 300 Advanced/Intermed
1:30 PM 30 min 400 Novice Students
2:00 PM 30 min 100&200 Instructors/Solo
2:30 PM 30 min 300 Advanced/Intermed
3:00 PM 30 min 400 Novice Students
3:30 PM 90 min Enduro Race 90 min
If and when we start the SuperSolo run group, then we will replace the label "instructor's" (100) with the label "SuperSolo's."
Next, replace the label "solo" group (e.g., 10am run group) with the combined label "instructors/solo" as in the 11am run group; but re-number this group with only "200."
End results:
Instructors and solos (who qualify) will run in the 100 group now labeled as "SuperSolo." There will no longer be a "100 instructor" group.
Instructors who do not want to be in the SuperSolo 100 run group, will run in the 200 combined group.
Solos who do not qualify for SuperSolo will remain in the 200 run group.
As in the above schedule example, all DE groups have 3 runs during the day. No other combinations are anticipated at this time, so everyone pretty much gets to run as before.
I hope this helps to clarify what it is we're intending to do.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:15 AM
agio
Racer

I, also, am not involved in the scheduing process. But combining groups has always occured from time-to-time depending on many different elements. As we all know, the schedule is soft and is an ongoing process and is subject to change before and during an event.
I don't envision that the SuperSolo causes schedule changes that would not otherwise have occured. It's true that if one run group is "over loaded" and an other group was not well attended the, I assume, certain measures have to be taken to accomodate the numbers.
But then as Dan has said, thankfully that's not part of my job description.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 AM
agio
Racer

Bob, I understand your concern. At this point, I'm not sure whether or not the kind of instruction you're looking for exists for SuperSolo other than the planned "check-out" ride by a certified instructor.
I don't know how much seat time you've had and at what skill level you're at. This is a very important accessment that has to happen for all experienced solo drivers for consideration into SuperSolo.
Having said that if you are a solo, but need some extra help, any of the instructors who are available would be willing to help you. I've done it myself many times. If you are a student you, of course, are assigned an instructor for the w/e.
I hope this answers your questions.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

sounds good to me.... Good idea, racers don't get enough pratice usually and this should help get seat time without the mist of competition.

I can see some of the less experienced drivers getting scared sh_tless by some f the race cars passing them though. Hopefully the racers will behave and realize that it is not a race group...

Count me in !
Old 11-26-2006, 10:43 AM
agio
Racer

Juan, I will count on you, thanks. For the record and to be crystal clear, if a racer doesn't behave and doesn't abide by the strict DE rules here, then that racer will not be permitted to run in the SuperSolo group...it's that simple. And, as you acknowledge, this is not racing.

Quick Reply: SuperSolo at Homestead--Frequently Asked Questions...