Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bill Auberlen: first lap at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 04:03 PM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, but does Auberlen have a last to first video??
Old 11-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Anyone seen this before? This is what it is like starting on pole in World Challenge:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/1_lap.htm

Well, I hear this may be irrelevant.

The good news is that Road Atlanta is being repaved this winter.
The bad news is the rumor mill says a reconfig is being planned as well. Specifically turn 12. Supposedly in preparation of a CART race in the future.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ951
No but Bill does have a last to first win at Lime Rock in the rain in a Speed Touring car to his credit. I have raced against Bill at Road Atlanta and many other tracks. He is definitely a master of driving any kind of car fast. While I don't know Leh that well I don't think he can be compared to Bill at this point, I think he does have some talent.

Here is another video but from a different perspective. This is my car at Road Atlanta but the following year.

Road Atlanta 2004 Touring Car (Right Click and Save As)
Old 11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,564 Likes on 822 Posts

Note the title of Seth's video, in the link.

"lap_rec" means he set the lap record with this lap.

MY MAIN MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Here is another video but from a different perspective. This is my car at Road Atlanta but the following year.
Thanks for posting! Very fast... Interesting line after the esses. In the GT3 cup we usually put 2 wheels on the "runoff island" but I dont like putting all 4 wheels on it as the car crashes on the bumpstops and can lose control... I do put all 4 wheels on it in a softer car like a Panoz. You not only put all 4 wheels on it, but exited on the other (right) side, which was nice and smooth (I never tried that). Only problem is there is NO ROOM FOR ERROR with that line!

Auberlen was a little faster in the last turn.

Will be interesting to see what changes occur with repaving.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RICHVIZZ951
Yes sir , Lime rock in the rain 2 yrs or so ago ...he beat both 4 wheel drive audi's in the rain...
Old 11-22-2006, 12:40 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by analogmike
Thanks for posting! Very fast... Interesting line after the esses. In the GT3 cup we usually put 2 wheels on the "runoff island" but I dont like putting all 4 wheels on it as the car crashes on the bumpstops and can lose control... I do put all 4 wheels on it in a softer car like a Panoz. You not only put all 4 wheels on it, but exited on the other (right) side, which was nice and smooth (I never tried that). Only problem is there is NO ROOM FOR ERROR with that line!

Auberlen was a little faster in the last turn.

Will be interesting to see what changes occur with repaving.
Yeah that line doesn't leave a lot of room for error but that is what it takes in Touring car. And we have to do that for 50 minutes straight. That is what Auberlen is great at. He can push the car 110% the whole time he is in it and his lap times will only vary at the most .5 secs a lap. Not too shabby.

We will see what happens when they repave it.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:02 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

With respect to the Leh vs Bill comments:

Leh is driving a GT3RS w/ near DP motor (way more juice than a std GT3R motor) & Slicks

Bill is driving a rather heavy stock based M3 w/ effectively street tires.

Not trying to take anything away from either driver or video ( i actually learned Atlanta from Leh's video this year) but comparing those two from either the videos or some kind of positional improvement (PCA vs Pro racing) makes no sense what so ever.
Old 11-25-2006, 04:04 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

While I cannot disagree that Bill Auberlen is a fast driver, Joey Hand did a lot to help Bill out in ALMS GT this year. How many times did Bill qualify the car for PTG? I could be wrong, but I don't think he did very many. Before you say Bill is the greatest American sports car racer, you must look other places. You cannot discount Scott Pruett, Joey Hand, or Wayne Taylor.

On another note, Bill Auberlen could possibly be the most arogant person I've ever met...
Old 11-25-2006, 09:29 PM
gps-marc
Track Day

Bill is just Bill, I've worked with the guy since '02. I've worked with Joey Hand too, Boris Said, Randy Pobst, Terry Borcheller, Justin Marks, etc, etc.

Basically Bill is never happy, he never thinks he's fast enough, he never thinks the car is good enough, he never thinks he is good enough. Those are some of the qualities that make him so quick, he doesnt only drive the car as good or better than anyone else, but he is always thinking about the mechanical/engineering side of the car too. Something alot of people miss these days, I think it's his mechanic background from his Porsche and Mazda racing days that are invaluable in his success.

The 2003 video is on Toyo T1-S, the 2004 video is on Toyo RA1.

Bill ran a 2.19.040 at Sebring in the 325i this year, the next quickest BMW was Seth at a 2.20.2. I remember Seth had a good run there until something happened to the car.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:26 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

bill is a hell of a driver... very smart... better at suspention mechanics and faster then me...

i hope to be as good as him (or better) in the future...

he is also always in a good car if not the best.....
Old 11-26-2006, 10:29 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by PatK-

Leh is driving a GT3RS w/ near DP motor (way more juice than a std GT3R motor) & Slicks

where you get this info from?

my engine is stock rs..... daytona topspeed was 176.... 997 cups were 174 area....

makes about 415 rwhp on dynojet
Old 11-27-2006, 12:33 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

nice lap!

I think your right about BA. actually, its not so much that the auberlens and Pobsts of the world are so fast, they are consistant and rarely make the bone head mistakes, but more importantly, they make good traffic decisions and higher percentage moves. The occasionally stack a car, but its very rare.

Mk

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
No but Bill does have a last to first win at Lime Rock in the rain in a Speed Touring car to his credit. I have raced against Bill at Road Atlanta and many other tracks. He is definitely a master of driving any kind of car fast. While I don't know Leh that well I don't think he can be compared to Bill at this point, I think he does have some talent.

Road Atlanta 2004 Touring Car (Right Click and Save As)
Old 11-27-2006, 12:43 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wombat7
While I cannot disagree that Bill Auberlen is a fast driver, Joey Hand did a lot to help Bill out in ALMS GT this year. How many times did Bill qualify the car for PTG? I could be wrong, but I don't think he did very many. Before you say Bill is the greatest American sports car racer, you must look other places. You cannot discount Scott Pruett, Joey Hand, or Wayne Taylor.

On another note, Bill Auberlen could possibly be the most arogant person I've ever met...
Well for starters Wayne Taylor is not american ?
and i did not discount Scott Pruett , or even his as fast or faster counterpoint's Butch L, Boris Said, etc , i will stand behind my orginal statement , that Billy is the best American sportscar racer , if this has changed over the last 2 yrs , i have yet to see that as he has only been driving the lower spec cars lately , so it is hard to compare him to those that are new , but the comparsions to the older ones are already set, in my opinon ..
Old 11-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I think Colin Braun has to be one of the top American sportscar drivers. Look at how well he did this past year and he was quickest in the last test at Daytona. With another few years under his belt he could be the best.

Quick Reply: Bill Auberlen: first lap at Road Atlanta