Sponsored by:

Bill Auberlen: first lap at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where you get this info from?

my engine is stock rs..... daytona topspeed was 176.... 997 cups were 174 area....

makes about 415 rwhp on dynojet

Ok, so a couple of things:
I can't say where I got the info about your motor from. But if you say it's stock, then so be it.

As to the top speed at Daytona, the Cup cars have always had higher top speeds at Daytona that GT3 Rs due to the reduced drag.

Look, I've seen you drive at several events and I know some people who have driven with you - I know you are a very talented driver. My point was a bit different than that. Comparing what you did at a PCA race in your GT3 R to Bill's video from a Speed Touring event is apples to oranges.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:41 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

yea.. u cant say.. cause they was wrrronG.....

but yea.... i wasnt really saying anyting about bill Vrs me comment.... all i talked bout is the HP comment in refrence to your post...... i clearly stated what i thought about bill Vrs me...

dp motors at 520 area.... i WISH i had a "like dp" motor.. haha... that would be sik.! !...

ok forget about daytona comment.... at roabling.. or any track... with same exit speed.... i have trouble pulling cup cars..... i usualy have alot faster exit speed.. so i pass them pretty good.. but if i get hung up.... i have trouble....... that better?
Old 11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
Bob C.
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I think Colin Braun has to be one of the top American sportscar drivers. Look at how well he did this past year and he was quickest in the last test at Daytona. With another few years under his belt he could be the best.
Of the "Team 16" guys at Daytona a couple years back, Braun is the one who has really stepped forward. He could be exceptional by the time he hits his early 20s.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Patrick Long in this discussion. Two ALMS GT2 crowns in the past two years are hard to ignore.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:33 AM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Funny - At least one friend who has a GT3RS without the ACO restictors and all the whammy stuff from PMNA claims you pull him with same exit speed
Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 AM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

mines stok with no restrictorzzzz..... less of a hotrod then his...... it must be my sequential shifter..........
Old 11-28-2006, 02:29 AM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exit speed *could* make a difference...
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatK-Mpls
Funny - At least one friend who has a GT3RS without the ACO restictors and all the whammy stuff from PMNA claims you pull him with same exit speed
I've had the opportunity to run with Lee at R. Atlanta and The Glen in my RSR .in the straights at RA; with no restirictors on my car and my sequential with a new RSR crate motor, I was able to hang behind Lee without him pulling on me....so I would say that our cars are mechanically very close in capability....entering and exiting turns, however is a different story as he is clearly an animal and leaves me standing still into and out of the turns....perhaps your friend percieves that because they are even out of turns that they are leaving with the same exit speed....it remains to be clarified just how Lee and your friend became even out of the turn....perhaps Lee entered behind him faster and was already even with him at exit and thus had more momentum allowing him to pull away...perspective in the cockpit can have a clear discrepency with reality. Lee also rarely lets his engine come out of the peak powerband and exploits that advantage at all times.
As he says, "don't shift until it stops pullin' ".
Old 12-01-2006, 04:26 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Look - enough 'perception' bs- I have actually raced a couple of times, too. If Leh says his car is bone-stock, GREAT!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:51 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Look - enough 'perception' bs- I have actually raced a couple of times, too. If Leh says his car is bone-stock, GREAT!

wow; someone needs to get their panties unbunched......sounds like a very uncomfortable situation.....maybe a little less caffeine as well
Old 12-01-2006, 05:06 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, therein lies the root of the problem with slower drivers. They think they have the same exit speed and that there can't possibly be any more on the table. Fact is, for most club racers, there is usually alot more on the table.

Some club racers know they are leaving some on the table and dont bitch about being slower. Others need to gain some skills and/or grow some ***** and stop bitching about cheater motors.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 PM
kingkyle
Track Day

Originally Posted by kingleh
it must be my sequential shifter..........
Now thats funny!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:36 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Well, therein lies the root of the problem with slower drivers. They think they have the same exit speed and that there can't possibly be any more on the table. Fact is, for most club racers, there is usually alot more on the table.

Some club racers know they are leaving some on the table and dont bitch about being slower. Others need to gain some skills and/or grow some ***** and stop bitching about cheater motors.
That about sums it up I'd say. Nobody out there that I have seen in a PCA race driving a GT3R has the same entry/exit speed as Leh, so the whole premise moot. I used to get the same grief. I found it very discouraging to hear my fellow competitors, who I often had a lot of respect for, make these types of rude remarks when I was racing. I got beat occasionally, and when I did, I tried to look at my own mistakes and evaluate my own performance rather than act out as a sore loser. Some of these guys would do well to let a real hot shoe take there car out for a few laps. There own shortcomings would become quickly apparent.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by carreracup21
That about sums it up I'd say. Nobody out there that I have seen in a PCA race driving a GT3R has the same entry/exit speed as Leh, so the whole premise moot. I used to get the same grief. I found it very discouraging to hear my fellow competitors, who I often had a lot of respect for, make these types of rude remarks when I was racing. I got beat occasionally, and when I did, I tried to look at my own mistakes and evaluate my own performance rather than act out as a sore loser. Some of these guys would do well to let a real hot shoe take there car out for a few laps. There own shortcomings would become quickly apparent.
I will volunteer to be that hotshoe?

Having someone that is faster and knows about conserving speed drive someones car can help them out a lot. In one weekend I helped a guy cut 3 seconds off his fastest lap time at Road Atlanta by working with him on his corner entry speeds. Even at the end of the weekend I was still 3 seconds faster than him and he knew where the 3 seconds were.

The biggest way that a hotshoe can help out another driver is having data in the car and helping the other driver understand where the difference in time actually is. Data never lies and the eyes/perception will.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:42 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Yeah when I did the 24 last year we looked over data after every session and compared it with our fast pro. Even though I had a very nice record of wins in PCA , it was a very humbling experience to put it mildly. Those guys are good !!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:27 PM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Let me sat a couple things straight here.
1) Nobody 'accused' Leh of having a cheater car.
2) I am quite well aware of the impact of exit speed.
3) I do not race against Leh - I am not the person I am speaking of. Nor do I claim that that person's claims are absolutely true. (I race a Cup car)
4) My original statement still stands - You cannot compare Leh to Bill Auberlen on the basis of PCA video or record vs Pro Racing video or record.

Quick Reply: Bill Auberlen: first lap at Road Atlanta