Sponsored by:

Willow springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Willow springs

Ok here's a specific question regarding Willow Springs. I'm heading over to CA in the next few months and was wondering where would I start to get running on Willow Springs.
I haven't run ant DE's or Auto Crosses or anything similar so I'm talking, from the beginning.....
I've driven passed the track several times. One of our plants is right down the road but I've yet to see people running during the week day.
I just want to get into the track days and really don't know where to start.
Where would I look for regulations regarding safety and car inspections?

What would be the first step?
Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 AM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.porscheownersclub.org

they run the Short Track Series on streets of willow with great instruction. I am a member and can't wait til the next event. I have run up there with speedventures before on weekdays. But the P.O.C. is on weekends.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Whats the difference between POC and the PCA....Besides the O and the A?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedventures and OpenTrackRacing frequently have weekends and weekdays, respectively, that they host at WSIR. If your just getting your feet wet, NASA or an organized porsche or BMW owner's event could be worth checking out.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:23 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

PCA and POC are two different clubs. PCA does very little on the track in CA, limited to time trials in NorCal. No real PCA DE's. POC is a very big SoCal Porsche specific club that puts together a wide variety of track events and is a great place to start for you.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:04 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

+1

If you want to see a POC event at the big track they will be there Dec 2-3, you won't be able to run though because you aren't licensed yet and your car may not have all of the required safety gear, but there will be plenty of people to talk to and you can get a feel for the club. The STS (short track series) is run by the POC at the Streets of Willow and is a great way to get into driving on the track, it is very affordable and good instruction is provided by the club.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:11 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PCA San Diego runs Willow and Streets of Willow once each year as well as four other big track weekends. www.pcasdr.org for more info.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:03 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cory M
+1

If you want to see a POC event at the big track they will be there Dec 2-3.
I would recommend that if you are in the area to go check it out. I was planning on driving up but my car has no engine right now. Just go and talk to everyone and you'll get a feel for the club. Defintely a good start, and you will learn alot about what your car can really do. Not to mention that the price of a weekend is the lowest I have had in socal.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

This is the info I was looking for. Thanks for the help...
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, I forgot that the some of the SoCal PCA regions run DE's. They are also a very good to run with and to get great instruction.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The POC STS series is probably a great learning environment but I prefer learning with several autocross events first. These lower speed events, ususally run on large open parking lots with very little to hit and no pavement to run out of really give you a chance to learn car control in a safe environment before moving on to higher speed venues. Even Streets of Willow has some fast straights and some places that you do not want to go off track.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:02 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by Eharrison
This is the info I was looking for. Thanks for the help...
When you go to the POC site be sure to check out the forum (general discussion). Read the thread "Questions from new member (newbie)" which is down towards the bottom of the first page (now). It should answer a lot of questions about how we are as a club and hopefully will encourage you to join.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:27 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just looked at Willow's calendar and Speedventures has the short track (Streets of Willow) for 3 days Dec. 8, 9, and 10. Speedventures is a top-notch club with great instruction and plenty of track time. I would suggest you give Aaron Bitterman, the owner, a call.....
http://www.speedventures.com/

Furthermor, Porshe Owners Club is really perfect for you needs. Their next event, as stated above, is a racing event Dec. 2 & 3rd and I highly recommend you come by if you're here that weekend and say hello. Just look for the car in my avatar...

Their "Streets" is an entry level program for Porsche drivers like yourself with great instruction and lots of track time. Our next "Streets" event will be in January and I guarantee you the time of your life...

In the interim call Aaron and see if his weekend program fits with your schedule....

JR Gordon
Old 11-16-2006, 01:43 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Furthermor, Porshe Owners Club is really perfect for you needs. Their next event, as stated above, is a racing event Dec. 2 & 3rd and I highly recommend you come by if you're here that weekend and say hello. Just look for the car in my avatar...JR Gordon
Yeah but don't look for car 251 - John's car number is now # 30.

John - time to update your avatar photo - especially since you are having the car detailed before Willow.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:26 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

At Willow Springs, there is the main (big) track, and there is also a track called 'Streets of Willows,' which is smaller and more like an autocross course. Going through the POC's program is a great way to learn driving on a race track, but you won't be allowed on the big track until you've earned your short track license, which can take a year to do.

There are other groups that are less rigidly structured than the POC. Speedventures is one of them. Open Track Racing and ACRA host mid-week track days at the big track. If you can get away on a Wednesday, you can benefit from less-crowded events that cost less than weekend events.

I was there yesterday, instructing for Open Track Racing. We had about 15 people in the novice group that hadn't been to Willow Springs, with maybe 8 who were completely new to track driving. I personally think the big track is a better learning track for novices, since it's not so technically complicated that other issues (safety, smoothness, cornering basics) can get overwhelmed while the new drivers struggle to figure out the line. And even though the big track is potentially very fast, with some cars reaching top speeds of close to 150 mph, novices can drive as fast as they're comfortable with.

I think I personally prefer the main Willow Springs track over 'Streets of Willow' because -- frankly -- it's frustrating to drive all the way out to for a day at a race track only to discover that you were able to hit higher speeds driving to the track than you were able to drive on it.

Both tracks are great, though. I'm certified as a POC instructor. And I also instruct for groups that use the big track. ACRA has a Wednesday event on the main track on December 13th.

Open Track Racing
ACRA

Quick Reply: Willow springs