Daytona USA '06 Update

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:52 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts
Default Daytona USA '06 Update

DAY 1 UPDATE

So day one of the first ever "Oktoberfast at Daytona" is in the books. The track is very different than anything I'd every experience before. The banking is very steep and quite bumpy. Gives you a whole new level of respect for the roundy-round crowd.

With 90% of the people having never driven the track, the first run was preditibly slow (which was good). But after that, it was pretty easy to be flat out for the entire banked section. The only real sacry part for me is the after you cross start finish (around 160-165mph in my car). The banking is far less and the car bounces all over the place...yikes!

The blue group is led by an "unusual" C class 997 that seems to be running slicks and have most of the interior removed. The scruts were looking closely at that car following the last run, so we shall see if the car remains in C. Phil Blackstone (C 993RSCS), JimB (C 996) Larry Herman (C RSA), Tim Sanderson (C 996) and Dennis O'Keefe (C...not sure type) are the next cars in blue. Ernie Jakubowski (D Cayman) and I are the next two cars, with the gap between us at 0.16 seconds. E is led by Terry Heath and then Drew Brown.

All in all it was a good day. People behaved themselves well, and there seemed to be very few shunts.

It is great there are so many 'listers at the event. I've already seen dmw44, JimB, Larry Herman, Mike in Chi, ErnieJ, and DrJupeman. I'm sure I'll make the rounds on the scooter today to seek out a few more.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:06 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update. Dennis runs a well prepped 993.
Jack
Old 10-14-2006, 11:14 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Thanks Colin, keep it coming, soooo jealous!!

Good Luck!!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:19 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Colin, I bet it's dry there too. Wish I were there!
Old 10-14-2006, 05:30 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

http://www.volusia.org/beach/daytona.htm
Old 10-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for the update Colin, many of us don't have the luck of being there
Old 10-14-2006, 05:52 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Colin, I was just wondering how everyone was doing. Larry Herman is in our chapter. Good luck to all. Keep the updates coming and bring back some good video.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:47 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Colin:

Stop by and visit with us at the Yellow Garage #9-12. Chris Dooley is my running mate and he finished 3rd today and had the fastest lap in the race. I run the blue 993 RS. I believe we were gridded next to one another. I looked for your car in the garages after the race. Let's hope tomorrow's race is a bit longer.

David
Old 10-14-2006, 07:38 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone tell me about Pete Debussman and Dan Petchel? They are my region ambassadors...
Old 10-14-2006, 07:42 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Today is in the books. More great weather and some great racing.

The Blue group start was good. Had a few good battles with some C cars. The race was fairly uneventful until we were black flagged on lap 7 for a car in the wall. Turned out to be Ernie in his Cayman. Damage didn't look too bad, but he is likely done for the weekend. Final results in C were Phil Blackstone (993 RSCS), Jim Breakey (996), Chris Dooley (996) and then Larry Herman (RSA). In D it finished me (964 Turbo), Charles Price (964 RSCS), and Chuck Veth (964 Turbo). In E it was Drew Brown (964), Terry Heath then George Turek.

David - Chris Dooley was flying. He qualified a few spots behind, but just drove right past me. He clearly figured something out. I'll stop by and say hi tomorrow. I'm down in garage 6 near T1.

In the Green group the leaders (Kim Gutowski & Tim McKenzie) just ran away from the field. Chris Musante won GT3S followed by Paul Gutowkski in 3S and Chris Cervelli in 2S. In B it was Raf Llopiz followed by Barry Brensinger. In GTC1, Charlie Boyer (DrJupeman here in RL), took the win with an impressive run of 2:06s, with Tom McGlynn in 2nd. But in my book, the best racer in the group was Barry Brensinger. He had some kind of starting issue and had to start at the back of the pack. At the end he had made it all the way up to 14th, and was only 2 cars behind the leader in B. Excellent drive.

In the red group, it really hard to talk about much else other than Leh Keen. Leh just absolutely destroyed the field. He was so far ahead, that even though the race finished under double yellow, he was still 30 seconds ahead. He lapped thru 15th place, and likely would have gotten a few more had it stayed green. He was 2.5 seconds faster per lap than anyone else.

The top finishers were Leh, Jay Policastro (GTC4), Andy Wilzoch (GTA), and Cory Friedman (GTA). In GTC3 it was Gregg Healey, Jay Walker, and Andrew Mandell.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:04 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great update Colin.

This place is a blast. I too have developed a whole new respect for anyone going three wide through these corners at 180 mph. The track is not nearly as wide as I would have imagined.

I'm only getting about 158 mph on my DL1 but it's fast enough.

Tomorrow the enduro. I let the sprint get away today thinking I had 20 minutes left to pass Phil. Hopefully I'll fix that tomorrow. I guess I better be watching for Chris Dooley as well. What was his fast race lap time?

Hope all is well with Ernie.
Jim
Old 10-14-2006, 08:37 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just reviewing the Blue Enduro data. Blackstone and I were on top of each other for the 7 laps.

2:14.0
2:08.9
2:08.4
2:08.2
2:08.3
2:08.0
2:09.8 slowed for yellow

At least we were consistent.
Jim
Old 10-14-2006, 08:39 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I timed keen for best lap at 1.51.8.
Best in the group before was a 2.01 to 2.02.
There was a serious spin in the (green?) group on the first lap, where a guy got into the turn WAY too aggressively and did a 360, but made a pretty nice save. He also came back to do a couple of 2.01 type laps, but couldn't get back to the front.
Keen was freaking FAST! He seriously looked like he was from another catagory.
The day was PERFECT...as was Jessica at Hooter's.

BTW, that Cayman looked to be toast, when I walked by top see it in the garage. It's too bad because that car was running third the whole race until the shunt, and it was damned iimpressive.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:41 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

What a great day of sprint racing. Beautiful weather and conditions for racing. Here are some pics from today:

The staging area:

Coming out of staging:

The hairpin looked a bit slick- do you think he saved it?

Couple of shots of cars on the banking:

Cayman before and after:

General:

Good luck in the Enduro's tomorrow!!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:50 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOH! I know...but I'm not telling. Youo must have been within a couple of yards of me when this happened. I almost thought about a retreat from my spot.
Was it just me or did that car seem undersprung in the rear, with perhaps to soft a set of sway bars? It really squatted under acceleration, and looked to roll like a fat girl in jello.

Quick Reply: Daytona USA '06 Update