Sponsored by:

Helmet question for tall driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet question for tall driver

My car: '01 C4 Coupe with electric seats.

Me: 6'5"

With my seat all the way back and all the way down, I have about 1.5 inch (or less) of headroom.

I'm thinking of attending my first DE day and a helmet is a standard requirement.

I'm looking for recommendations for something relatively low profile (meaning: that doesn;t add too much to my height) and especialy friendly-priced, that will still pass muster.

I'm not going racing. I'm not going to go nuts and I don't even know if I'll do this more than once (but I have a sneaky suspicion that I will).

The event is guided all the way (instructors, strict overtaking rules, etc.), so I don't think I need the kind of helmet that saves lives in F1 racing.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend the GForce regular closed face helmet. I would get the SA 2005 helmet, but the M2005 would be slightly cheaper, and if there is no chance you would race, would do as well. I had a Bell before and liked it very much. Geo recommends the GForce, but naturally I didn't take his advice, and got a Pyrotect. I am not very happy with it, but it's too late now. It's good enough to keep, but I would not recommend it.

Go with the GForce. Remember just MHO.

Bill Seifert

1983 944 Race Car
Old 07-20-2006, 07:03 PM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pvanosta
My car: '01 C4 Coupe with electric seats.

I'm not going racing. I'm not going to go nuts and I don't even know if I'll do this more than once (but I have a sneaky suspicion that I will).

The event is guided all the way (instructors, strict overtaking rules, etc.), so I don't think I need the kind of helmet that saves lives in F1 racing.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.
Ask around in the club to see if you can borrow a helmet. Or if the club has any loaners. If you think that this is a one time thing and nothing is available as a loaner then renting is an option. If no one in your area does this then give us a call and we can help you. Shameless plug #7 5/8.

Bill Love
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

OG Racing is a very reputable place. I see nothing wrong with their Shameless plug #7 5/8. It is always a good idea to use places that sponsor Rennlist. I have heard no negatives about them, and I know they know what they are talking about.

Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 07:51 PM
pvanosta
Instructor

Thank you all for your feedback Bill / OG, I will have a look and I'll be in touch.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:33 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I'm 6'4" and I can find a fairly comfortable position with a G-Force helmet in my '02 Coupe.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:47 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Borrow a helmet if you don't know if this is going to be your cup of tea. If it is, then buy the helmet that fits, not what someone recommends. Regardless of price, unless you basically cannot afford what fits, in which case I would save up and buy the correct helmet. Also, do not get a M2005 helmet as it will probably not be approved to use by whomever you are running with. M helmets are motorcycle helmets which have different crash critiera they need to meet than automobile SA helmets.

BTW, F1 helmets provide the same protection your helmet will provide.

Did I mention that you should buy the helmet that fits? Do it.

Bro
Old 07-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Bro, I thought that the only difference in M and SA was that the inside of the SA is Nomex, and the M is nylon. I thought most DE's let you use both. At least I know they do around here. But, basicaly I agree with you, SA is best.

Bill
Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Bro, I thought that the only difference in M and SA was that the inside of the SA is Nomex, and the M is nylon. I thought most DE's let you use both. At least I know they do around here. But, basicaly I agree with you, SA is best.

Bill
There are internal construction differences in some helmets. It has to do with the crash environment. A motorcycle helmet will experience several medium impacts and a lot of abrasion during a typical crash, while a car helmet will experience one large impact with several smaller ones where abrasion is a non-issue. Also the car helmet impacts are against surfaces that present concentrated loading (roll cage bar, dash, etc.) where a motorcycle hemet will typically hit a large surface like the track. Helmet construction aside, the certifications are different between motorcycle and auto helmets.

You are somewhat correct about the fire issue. SA helmets require a fire resistance capability while M helmets do not.

Bro
Old 07-21-2006, 02:11 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Before you invest in an 'M' helmet, ask all the local clubs what they require. All the local clubs here require SA rated helmets and M are not allowed.

Also, try them on before you buy. Each manufacturer uses a differently shaped head as their standard human sized head.

-Skip
Old 07-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Bro, Skip, etc, Thanks for the info, the main thing about Rennlist is that I rarely go a day without learning something new.

Bill
Old 07-21-2006, 03:53 PM
agio
Racer

Also, I believe that eventually most venues will require SA and not allow M...although, not sure. As
to the cost--buy the best helmet you can afford...the latest edition. Remember: a $50 head? Then, get a $50 helmet...there is no substitute for your head.
BTW, I have a G-Force and it's fine. I've had bell, etc. as well.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:18 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Just adding my experience in helmet buying.

I was of the mindset after doing a little research (emphasis on little) that led me to the conclusion that I was going to buy a Bell M2 for less than $350. I had heard that I should try helmets on before buying, so I went to Werks II in Burbank as I read that they had a large selection of helmets to choose from. The salesman Gus was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and quickly convinced me that I should try on a variety of helmets to get the one that fits. We didn't discuss price and he didn't try to push any particular brand. After 2 hours of trying on a lot of different brands including Bell, Stand 21, Bieffe and Sparco in a variety of sizes in each brand I bought an Arai GP-5k for $800. It fit an order of magnitude better than any of the other helmets, and fit is the most important criteria.

Bro
Old 07-21-2006, 05:16 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Bro,

I had almost the same experience. I've been wearing a Bell M2 (SA 95) for the last 6 years and needed to get a new helmet this year. I tried on everything that OG Racing had and ended up with the Arai GP-5k. I intended on spending about 50% of what I did, but the fit and feel was significantly better than the others for my head.

-Skip
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by swftiii
Bro,

I had almost the same experience. I've been wearing a Bell M2 (SA 95) for the last 6 years and needed to get a new helmet this year. I tried on everything that OG Racing had and ended up with the Arai GP-5k. I intended on spending about 50% of what I did, but the fit and feel was significantly better than the others for my head.

-Skip
I guess that means you have a fat head like me.

Bro

Quick Reply: Helmet question for tall driver