Helmet question for tall driver

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 05:49 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was pin head..... J/K!

Originally Posted by bruinbro
I guess that means you have a fat head like me.

Bro
Old 07-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by swftiii
Bro,

I had almost the same experience. I've been wearing a Bell M2 (SA 95) for the last 6 years and needed to get a new helmet this year. I tried on everything that OG Racing had and ended up with the Arai GP-5k. I intended on spending about 50% of what I did, but the fit and feel was significantly better than the others for my head.

-Skip
Does the Arai give any extra headroom compared to the Bell? I have a Bell and I can't get comfortable in my car w/stock seats. (I'm 6'4") Any extra headroom would be great.
Old 07-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Slappy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask your Porsche Club or whoever is sponsoring the DE if they have loaner helmets. I know that our club - CVR - has loaner helmets for 1st time DErs and also for "Taste of the Track" runs.

Helmets are NOT cheap ... I got a great deal on one on E-Bay and the only reason I probably got such a deal was the fact that the guy probably bought one for his 1st DE and decided that DEing was not for him or his car and just wanted to unload it.

Do you know other people that will be at the DE ? ... will they let you borrow their helmet ?

Also ... loaner, borrowed, or bought ... get a balacava (head sock) ... keeps your head and the helmet clean. 2 layered noxmex balacavas can be found for $20+.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:20 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Does the Arai give any extra headroom compared to the Bell? I have a Bell and I can't get comfortable in my car w/stock seats. (I'm 6'4") Any extra headroom would be great.
I don't believe there is any significant difference in pad/shell thickness in various vendor helmet constructions. Any difference in headroom would be due to your particular head shape.

Bro
Old 07-23-2006, 01:19 AM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Arai is the one that let me fit easily into my car, after also taking out the seat cushions in my GT3 seat, and fully strapping in with 6 point harness ( that really brings me down quite a bit). Arai is definitely a low profile helmet. It also is much easier to use with glasses as it has built in holders for the ear pieces on the sides so I can leave my sunglasses in all the time.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:26 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by speedread
Arai is the one that let me fit easily into my car, after also taking out the seat cushions in my GT3 seat, and fully strapping in with 6 point harness ( that really brings me down quite a bit). Arai is definitely a low profile helmet. It also is much easier to use with glasses as it has built in holders for the ear pieces on the sides so I can leave my sunglasses in all the time.
Which model did you get? I was thinking about ordering a GP5w
Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinbro
I guess that means you have a fat head like me.

Bro
Bell used to sell a model actually named "The Fat Head", which came in sizes above 8. I miss it, as now it is basically the Bell M3 Extra, or a custom helmet for 8 1/4 or 8 1/2.

Quick Reply: Helmet question for tall driver