Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hans Device

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess what I am missing is what happens to the part that rests over your shoulders when you are trying to exit the car . . . Do you slide it up off of your shoulders, or just leave it on when you exit. . . . Sorry for being so dense on this issue.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Uh...ladies...do a little research:

http://hansdevice.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...c=2&category=8

These have been available for at least 4-5 years.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yeah Prof, I have been all over that website. I don't see how the additional harness can make it easier to get out of a car with HANS than it is to get out with an ISAAC.

If someone is telling me that it is no problem to get out with either device (provided both have the quick releases), then I can believe it.

Since Colin is telling me it is easier to get out of a car with HANS than it is with an ISAAC, where you don't have the harness to deal with, then I want to understand the basis for this statement. This is one of the reasons why I went with ISAAC over HANS. I didn't want to deal with the harness . . .
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

We're not being clear, Todd. If you disconnect the straps between the helmet and the HANS then once your belts are released the HANS can slide off the back of neck and be left in the car. I think most people would leave it connected, however, and once the belts are released exit the car with helmet and HANS connected at in place. The helmet is wider in all dimensions than the HANS.

That said, I have never crawled out the window of my car, with or without helmet or HANS. I suppose that might be something to try given that my seat is pretty low and the steering wheel is there. Let's not even think about trying to practice with deflated airbags (mine are still installed--I drive on the street!) hanging around me and after an impact!
Old 06-26-2006, 03:23 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks Chris. That is what I wanted to know.

Since it is somewhat difficult to get into, and out of, my car under normal conditions, I was very sensitive to putting myself in a position where I might have anything that could slow me down. Of course, I couldn't really try the HANS out long enough to see if it really would be a problem before I bought the ISAAC, so I have an open mind about the whole issue.

I am a fairly big guy. In a 944 with a full cage, I feel a "bit" claustrophobic as it is. I was worried about the harness. With the ISAAC, I just pull the pins (which you have to do with the HANS anyway), and I don't have to deal with the harness at all . . . That is not to say the ISAAC necessarily is better. I am just explaining my thought process.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would someone please explain how the HANS device is SFI certifiable if it has the QR connectors?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:32 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Thanks Chris. That is what I wanted to know.

Since it is somewhat difficult to get into, and out of, my car under normal conditions, I was very sensitive to putting myself in a position where I might have anything that could slow me down. Of course, I couldn't really try the HANS out long enough to see if it really would be a problem before I bought the ISAAC, so I have an open mind about the whole issue.

I am a fairly big guy. In a 944 with a full cage, I feel a "bit" claustrophobic as it is. I was worried about the harness. With the ISAAC, I just pull the pins (which you have to do with the HANS anyway), and I don't have to deal with the harness at all . . . That is not to say the ISAAC necessarily is better. I am just explaining my thought process.
Todd (and everyone else),

Regardless of what you use, I strongly suggest that you repeatedly practice quick exits from your car. You will likely be surprised at what can snag on what. If you experience that a couple of times, your chances of understanding what is happening in a crisis, and handling it, are much better.

As an example, in my practice exits, I have found that the sub srap (formula car style) will sometimes snag in the loop on the lap belt - especially if I am trying to exit before everything is really loose. Knowing that, and having felt it, I have a much better chance of recognizing when it happens in a real emergency and simply reacing down and tugging in the right place, rather than struggling.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:34 PM
bruinbro
Pro

Originally Posted by gbaker
Would someone please explain how the HANS device is SFI certifiable if it has the QR connectors?
Hi Gregg,
I think it is because the HANS does not require the QR's to be used to get free from the car. They are more like a back-up feature. This sort of begs the question as to wht you would need a backup feature...

Did you get my e-mail?

Bro
Old 06-26-2006, 03:50 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bruinbro
Hi Gregg,
I think it is because the HANS does not require the QR's to be used to get free from the car. They are more like a back-up feature. This sort of begs the question as to wht you would need a backup feature...

Did you get my e-mail?

Bro
Yes. I'm on #6.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

Your HANS is unsafe?
Sunday Driver says it's so
check with Colorchange!

Ahh, Perf & Comp board
so many posts but almost
nothing useful here

8 flips and he's fine?
Bimmer's are strong I suppose
Hand have HANS or not?

I have seen enough
of Rennlist bravado so
now its time to nap

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 AM
esq996tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onasled
But you guys are using it wrong!
Hans obviously has not made these different model for comfort issues. If you are using a 30 degree when a 20 degree is called for then you are not getting the benefit of the correct Hans. You are in fact giving up 10 degrees of restraint which means your head will move a few more inches forward in a head on crash.
You guys are smart enough to get a Hans in the first place, so it baffles me that you would use it incorrectly.

The only people who should be answering this question in the first place is Hans. Just call them. I doubt they will tell you that you need a new one just to make money off you.
The reason I am using the 30 is because I called HANS in the first place, otherwise I would still be reading the zillion threads about exactly the same discussion we are having now.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

Just joined, but it sure scary to think that Joey could have burned to death if that dripping gas caught on fire. (and he couldnt get out) ive hear and seen of more drivers unable to get out of the car with the hans device on, than i can keep count. sure, its conceptually a great ideal, but it seems to catch on everything as you are exiting the new race cars! I can only imagine how it would feel to not only be caught on the Hans device, but the panic that would then start to try and get free and get out while fire was spreading!

I used the Hutchens device for a while and it seems to be a great answer to the problem. surely better than without one. problem, no chance of SFI approval, for who knows the reason.

as far as joey goes, as dramatic as his accident was, it wasnt like hitting another car or a wall. at that speed. the car was probably 10ft in the air max, so the forward impact was like the car was dropped at 10ft. on its nose. the g forces for the flipping were significant, but more dangerous for being shaken in all directions for some time as the car started to release its kinetic energy. He survived due to the length of time it took for the car and him to stop. remember, its not the speed that kills , its the sudden stop! a young strong guy like joey probably was fine with or without the Hans. Ive seen a few BMWs go into walls creating a lot more front end damage, and lots of red marks where the belts dig in on the chest and shoulders from a single impact.

I think the key thing for hans to do is to have more of a quick release like the hutchens device has . (two pull cords and you are not connected at all!) . Most racers biggest fear is not impact, it is burning!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:29 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I have never crawled out the window of my car, with or without helmet or HANS. I suppose that might be something to try given that my seat is pretty low and the steering wheel is there. Let's not even think about trying to practice with deflated airbags (mine are still installed--I drive on the street!) hanging around me and after an impact!
I recently had a four wheel drift, full side impact into a barrier, leaving the driver's side of my 996 balanced up on the barrier. (Since I also drive on the street, my side impact air bag went off). I had to crawl out the passenger window. I did it with helmet and hans on just fine. I had no pain afterwards, even though my head banged from side to side as the hans kept it from moving very far. It was innexpensive to have the straps replaced. for the hans.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:40 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
......it sure scary to think that Joey could have burned to death if that dripping gas caught on fire. (and he couldnt get out) ive hear and seen of more drivers unable to get out of the car with the hans device on, than i can keep count. sure, its conceptually a great ideal, but it seems to catch on everything as you are exiting the new race cars! I can only imagine how it would feel to not only be caught on the Hans device, but the panic that would then start to try and get free and get out while fire was spreading!...........

.....a young strong guy like joey probably was fine with or without the Hans......
Most racers biggest fear is not impact, it is burning!
How many people still say it's safer without a seat belt because you won't get trapped in a fire. Not many!!! Seat belts just like H & N restraints save lives in a serious accident!!!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

funny! I use the Hutchens in club racing now, and before last year, it was legal in pro racing as well. all im saying is that in a serious accident, if you got to get out of a bent up car, or even a straight one, there are lots of stuff to catch and keep you in the car to fry!. ever time yourself on how long it takes to get out of the car? all it take is one issue like we are talking about, and you are dead!

hutchens is a great idea, maybe there is a blend of hutchens and HANS that will be safer due to this issue. you maybe got out of your car, but guys with more complete cages and lots more stuf in the way, get hung up all the time getting out!

MK

Originally Posted by speedread
How many people still say it's safer without a seat belt because you won't get trapped in a fire. Not many!!! Seat belts just like H & N restraints save lives in a serious accident!!!

Quick Reply: Hans Device