Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instructor looses temper oh and an EVO takes out a NSX and a G35

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my first day of DE, my instructor asked my permission and then grabbed the steering to show me the line from turn-in to apex,.....That was the single most action that taught me the most and it opened my eyes.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
On my first day of DE, my instructor asked my permission and then grabbed the steering to show me the line from turn-in to apex,.....That was the single most action that taught me the most and it opened my eyes.
If a student is consistently off line, I will guide the wheel with my hand, but I generally will tell them in the pits before that session and demonstrate so that they know what to espect. I alway tell them that they, not me, are driving the car, and mke sure they are ok with it... this is an effective teaching tool if done with the students knowlege and cooperation.

my philosophy is it is the student's car and he has every right to wreck it as long as I don't get hurt.... ultimately the responsibility for driving the car lies with the student..... there is no situation we can get into that me grabbing the wheel will probably not make worse.... I just hope I never get in a situation so bad where I feel I have to grab the wheel...
Old 05-11-2006, 03:29 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
I have lightly placed my hand on a students hand while it was on the wheel but only after i said i was going to do so and only to let them know how or when to move the wheel.

I was taught this during my instructor training as a way of getting a student to turn more when verbal commands don't do the trick. I've used in some of the mentor sessions I've had in instructor training, but have not needed to use it on a real student yet.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:32 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

That was one of the dumbest on track actions I have ever seen - and I am referring to the student, not the instructor.
I don't suppose he (I assume it was a he driving; I couldn't hear the audio) was concerned about his friend and stupidly stopped to help out?
Nah
Actuall saw that one time; was flagging (back in the day when drivers actually helped out with flagging; I enjoyed it except in the cold and rain) when a 944 pulled off line and stopped. OK, no biggie, but then his pal pulled up behind him and started to get out and help. We (the flaggers) went sort of nuts.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I don't see any problem with the instructors actions, the student on the other hand is an idiot for pulling off track so he could video tape the carnage. The student made an unsafe situation even worse, putting himself, the instructor, and all the people around the wreck in greater danger. There is a reason the audio has been removed, the student was probably getting his *** chewed and didn't want everyone to hear it!
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I see one problem with what the instructor did. She should not have grabbed the steering wheel the way she did. She should have ripped if off the column and beat that idiot student over the head with it. Looks to me like she tried everything to get him to follow reasonable instructions. I probably would have hit him for endangering me and everyone else and ignoring instruction. Then I would have made sure he was tossed out of that event.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

She should have ripped if off the column and beat that idiot student over the head with it.
Finally, somebody said it!!!!!!

I knew I wasn't the only one that felt that way!!!!

Brian
Old 05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
She should have ripped if off the column and beat that idiot student over the head with it.
Agreed!

For those who don't know, this Audi driver is really an idiot. He started this thread on Audiworld (which he later deleted) where he basically said: "Thousands of people watched this video so they must support me. I still don't see how I did anything wrong." Jackass.

For more proof of his complete incompetence, see this video, where he drops a wheel at an apex then tries his hardest to spin.

And let's not forget Michelle was his THIRD instructor that weekend due to his utter idiocy.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Seriously, I can't decide if that guy is a douche bag or a turd sandwich.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:37 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

The only time that guy had his car under control was when he was sitting there watching the carnage. My work monitor won't adjust the color so it's hard to me to gauge the first hand on the wheel and comment.

I am not an instructor, but found an instructor manual used by the PCA regions. In short it said to figure out what the student's attitude was on a particular day. Are they there showing off for someone, etc. If that was his third instructor, he probably should have been kicked out before that session by the organizers.

I have only run with PCA and know most of the people I run with. I know only one time (while I was as the track) that someone was asked to leave (non-instructed group). It seems like by the time you get to driving Porsches, you mature more. I seem to see these types of things come from other car clubs. You instructors are brave.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:42 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If this guy (student) actually thought to post the video on line (assume nothing). He has learned nothing from the incident and should be black listed from any and all East Coast tracks. Period.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the instructor was pretty calm under the circumstances. It would have been tempting to do your best drill seargent imitation once it was clear that you were being ignored . . . I wonder if the student would have done that if the instructor had been a guy like, oh, I don't know, Steve Timmons?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

one think I wonder about is if the:
"its OK to touch the wheel IF the student know its comming' crowd.... Drives the students car 2 laps at the beginning of the day?

in the Florida (gold coast and suncoast regions) we strongly suggest instructors drive the students car 2 laps at the beginning of the day (and again if needed). at no more than 50%. (pboc too, but not nasa)

I like this for several reasons, and drove the students car on the 2nd day after lunch to show how to use the brakes. (line was ok).

I also take them in my car if they want...

Since I drive their cars, I can show them what I want them to do, with their car. (feel the abs?)

I'm thinking the guys who guide the students hands, may not have this option....

-I'd just be worried they wont take control back, after I've got control.

(oh, btw, I was watiing for the passenger door to open and her to get out... thats what I was thinking... )
Old 05-11-2006, 04:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
Seriously, I can't decide if that guy is a douche bag or a turd sandwich.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

I can't wait to go home and watch this video........

Quick Reply: Instructor looses temper oh and an EVO takes out a NSX and a G35