Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putnam Park Recap And PSM/ABS Disconnection

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:58 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Mark, how about a few day old example so that we can get by your “if you murder someone 18 months ago it’s OK because it’s ancient history logic”.

I made a statement reinforcing why I thought Rick was faster than Mike. To point out the magnitude of the difference IMO, I used an analogy that some found offensive. In sporting circles, especially baseball, saying you can’t hold someone’s jock means “you aren’t nearly as good as they are”. I took that analogy a little further and said you can’t even smell it, meaning you so far away from holding it that you can’t even smell it. If you have ever played in a weekend baseball tournament in 100+ degree, humid weather (especially if you are a pitcher), you will know that your jock can smell pretty damn bad. I hope that explains my little attempt at insult/humor.

So here was my original statement, from this very thread:

Originally Posted by ColorChange

Once I stop laughing, we can continue the discussion. Not only do I think you can't hold their jock, you can't even smell it. They are in another league compared to you. That's why I think he is WAY WAY WAY faster than you will ever be.

To which Mike replies:

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi

I also see you removed the smelling jocks insults, without acknowledging it. You know, the ones Eric referenced. If someone else did that, you'd no doubt accuse them of low character.

And here is my response to his accusation that I removed the comments.

That would be a low character act and I don’t do things like that. You are somehow mistaken, yet again. Here is the quote to refresh your memory).

To which Mike responds:

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
Tim

Finely, none of what I have said throughout this thread has been edited out the way you quietly and spinelessly edited out your crude and characteristically witless insult about my being unworthy to carry Rick's jock. Or even smell it. (Something like that-- I discovered the text had been removed this morning. BTW, I really don't mind being insulted, but can't you at least muster a tiny bit of humor for everyone's entertainment?)

So, he said I did something. I say I didn’t do it. He then again reasserts I did do it, he is clearly calling me a liar. And I didn’t remove or edit anything on the jock comments. Is a few days ago too old or do I need to find even more examples?

Now, I don't think Mike was imaginging things as there was some editing of my posts going on at the time, but not by me. I have asked a moderator to look into it but I haven't gotten a response yet.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:09 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

In the immortal words of

Oh. My. God.

What are we, twelve? I'm getting embarrassed by this spectacle. I'm even more embarrassed for you that you don't seem to find this to be a ridiculous and self-humiliating waste of time for a grown man.

This day care center needs a nanny.

Old 10-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

RH, I'll be there as soon as I can get the bloody (diesel) English Cab started!

Maybe we can all play " he said - she said"?

Color - don't be too mad at Mike for drawing conclusions because the post in question did have a footer saying "last edited by Colorchange". Pretty logical to assume what he did don't you think?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Bob, yes the first time it was a reasoable assumption. The second time, after I said I didn't, is not!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:14 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
RH, I'll be there as soon as I can get the bloody (diesel) English Cab started!
Oh, thank god. Bring extra baby wipes.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK Mark, how about a few day old example so that we can get by your “if you murder someone 18 months ago it’s OK because it’s ancient history logic”.
And you accuse others of twisting what YOU say.
As for the rest of your writings - Frankly Scarlett...
Old 10-12-2005, 10:18 PM
JimmiLew
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have read these threads over and over again, and just have to laugh. Tim, although you dont know me, you are very typical of a lot of students I have instructed ( I have been PCA instrcutor & racer for over 15 years).

The problem is, you have a lot of money, a very fast car, a good scientific mind, and a big ego. You are so caught up in the science and ego end of things, that you have lost sight of the forest through the trees.

The very best thing you could do for yourself would be to park that beast of a car of yours for a while (meaning not take it to the track), and get yourself a nice fun lower HP and relatively slower easy to drive DE car (like a 84-87 Carrera or 911SC,) and really learn how to drive it properly. I mean really learn how to drive the wheels off the thing in a relatively stock configuration, (track worthy and safe of course).

Then, once you have figured it out, and you are REAL comfortable taking the car to or close to its limit, you can get back in the beast and start sorting it out. Then, you will have the real relative reference points to actually feel whats happening, and have the skill and science to sort it out and have some real fun, rather than leaving the track frustrated and confused like you just did. Its just too much too fast for you. Slow it down in a car without electronic aids (abs, psm), and you will be amazed at what the car is REALLY telling you. Then you will have truly arrived.

I am sure you wont listen to me, and will tell me that I have never driven with you, and Yadda yadda yadda....but I know from years of experience that if you do what I suggest, within a year or two you will be saying that guy from Rennlist absolutely pegged it. Hope you are listening.

Lew
Old 10-12-2005, 10:19 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TD:
I am pretty comfortable in your judgment, would you care to comment?
Tim,

I think that e-mails and the Internet make it ridiculously easy to misinterpret communications. We all take for granted how much we rely on facial expressions and voice intonations (not to mention non-verbal communications -- body language) to interpret what others are saying to us, and how they mean it. I would bet my 996 that this little insult fest would never have occurred if you had both been at the same place having exactly the same conversation, perhaps even with the same words.

In my personal and professional life, I have a theory about personal happiness. Basically, it is that when someone says something to you that is ambiguous, intentionally interpret it in the best light possible (but remember the ambiguity to ensure you are not taken for a sucker later). This approach is great because most of the time it really doesn't matter even if the person meant it in the bad way -- it only bugs you if you let it bug you. By contrast, if you interpret every ambiguous situation in the worst way possible, you will be living in a world of ******** and pessimism where you will always be in conflict witih others.

In other words, you can largely determine your own happiness by adopting an "optimistic" and "charitable" outlook on the world, if possible. Don't get me wrong, I get paid to debate on behalf of, and fight for, my clients everyday, so I don't let people run over me or my clients, but most of the time it simply doesn't pay to be too ready to be insulted. I can fight with the best of them when necessary, but that is the key: only fight and argue when absolutely necessary. Most conflicts can be resolved much more effectively when civility and politeness rule the day. Plus, if you use the big stick too often, it loses its effectiveness.

When someone says something that seems insulting to you, give them the benefit of the doubt, even if they may in reality not deserve it. Being quick to forgive -- even with respect to those who may not deserve your forgiveness -- and slow to be insulted will make your life much longer and happier. Of course it is not always easy to practice what you preach, but that is my personal goal.

How would you apply this theory here? Assume you have misinterpreted Mike's posts, even if some of them were less than charitable. As Brian Keith Smith said, move on (forgive and forget). Life is way too short . . .

Just my two cents.

TD
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 PM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

Mark: I am dissappointed in your reply but so be it.

Lew: I hear you and have been considering similar actions.

TD: While I agree with your big picture, I then have to accept you applying the same logic to the current situation so ... OK. I really have a tough time with people calling me a liar. Oh well, I give up and will now do my best to turn into a duck here ... water off my back.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:51 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have to say I had a hard time finding any accusation of lying in the initial post. I saw a case of someone (Mike) pressing some statements Tim made for clarification. As was said in some of the original posts there is a lot to learn from each other and this continued sniping is funny at times but otherwise of little value.

Mike
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Wow, i only occasionally check this whenever something interesting is pointed out by the regulars on this forum, but this is just plain silly...

Hey ColorFast,
Have you ever seen those links here about something funny on another website? For example, a link to really atrocious-looking cars, or a post where a guy put ArmorAll on his tire tread to make it look good and wondered publicly why he crashed when he went around a turn? Or the guy who cleaned his engine (w/ a hose) when pulling plugs and hydrolocked the motor?

Congratulations, ColorFast, you've become *that guy*. Really, people pass on links to threads which you muck up w/ your misconceptions. It's fine if the goal is to entertain us, (even high school yearbooks have a "class clown" category), but if you're trying to convince people that the car is ****e and pulling chips/fuses out to disable systems on your car will make you faster, you need a different audience. I'm sure in your own mind you're a nice, reasonable, and normal guy, but looking from the outside, you are currently the reason why others post links to these threads.

Change your Color and people will change how they respond to you. Or better yet, get into a 930 and match somebody's, anybody's lap times. You won't have any chips or fuses to pull, and no abs to blame.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Public service announcement: I think you'll soon have another thread to link to for everyone's entertainment here

Quick Reply: Putnam Park Recap And PSM/ABS Disconnection