Sponsored by:

Shock Setup (from gsum thread)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:37 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shock Setup (from gsum thread)

I set my double adjustable shocks as hard as I can for compression and as soft as I can for rebound. If you are too stiff on compression, the car will be harsh, tiring and will behave badly over bumps. I can run much stiffer at Mid Ohio than at Heartland (bumpy track). Still compression keeps the tire in contact with the pavement as you hit a bump.

On the drop off side of the bump, you need it as soft as possible to come back into contact. Soft rebound also allows much earlier application of throttle.

Some of the best things to do are:
Set shocks full soft (B/R) and drive the car.
Repeat for full stiff.
Back off full stiff compression until the car is comfortable and controlled over bumps.
Do the same with rebound.
Go to full soft and move one at a time to develop feel.
Keep doing things like this to get a feel and teach yourself that some stuff is not all that intuitive. If the car is hopping over a series of bumps, the rebound is probably too stiff, rather than the compression being too stiff. If you feel like you are waiting for the car to settle in esses, again, rebound is probably too stiff.

Learn to trust what you feel. Have someone make setup changes to your car without telling what they have changed. Do some laps and tell them what is different. Maybe they did not really make a change that time.

Get a copy of Carol Smiths 'Engineer in your pocket'. It is the best practicl tuning guide you will find.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:48 AM
PatK-Mpls
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you tend to adjust the front and rear together or make those determinations based on turn entry/exit needs from the car?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:11 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PatK-Mpls
Do you tend to adjust the front and rear together or make those determinations based on turn entry/exit needs from the car?
If a track us much bumpier or smoother than another, I will make a moderate change to both ends. The way my shcoks are valved, alignment and spring rates, it is neutral to slightly tail happy with the front and rear shocks set the same. Hence I almost always start with identical settings front and rear.

From there, I tune one end or the other as needed. My car is very stiff (wheel rate is about DOUBLE the corner weight) so it responds highly to shock changes.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:04 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is Heartland still bumpy after the repaving they did?
Old 10-14-2005, 11:23 AM
ColorChange
Three Wheelin'

The proper way to analyze shock setup (assuming you have a DAS) is a frequency and/or displacement analysis. I am not willing to go into that here as that analysis is well beyond a simple g-sum concept and too many people here seem to be having trouble with that. Furthermore, until you can consistently drive your car near the limit all the way around the track, detailed work on the car/setup is largely an unnecessary distraction.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:38 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seege
Is Heartland still bumpy after the repaving they did?
It should be very smooth now but it has not been run yet. Not sure they are finished with the re-pave as it is running behind schedule.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColorChange
I am not willing to go into that here as that analysis is well beyond a simple g-sum concept and too many people here seem to be having trouble with that. Furthermore, until you can consistently drive your car near the limit all the way around the track, detailed work on the car/setup is largely an unnecessary distraction.
That is why you are so entertaining and insulting...

First, you tell us we are all too stupid to understand your expertise. (BTW - Have YOU ever tuned the shocks on a car using DAS or is this another theory?)

Then you saywe are wasting our time if we can't drive at the limit. Since this is my thread, and Pat is the other primary participant, I take that as a statement that neither Pat nor myself are capable of driving at the limit like you are. Or is that just more theory too?

Of course, if you were really smart and really understood this stuff, you could explain it in a way that even us inbred idiots could understand.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:10 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
First, you tell us we are all too stupid to understand your expertise. (BTW - Have YOU ever tuned the shocks on a car using DAS or is this another theory?)
I'm gonna go out on a limb on this one, but let me guess: he's not stating this as theory, he's stating it as fact.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Furthermore, until you can consistently drive your car near the limit all the way around the track, detailed work on the car/setup is largely an unnecessary distraction.
When I think it can't get any worse, I read something like this. Astonishing....

Mark, thanks for the knowledge given to those of us who can admit that we have much to learn.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:23 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
From there, I tune one end or the other as needed. My car is very stiff (wheel rate is about DOUBLE the corner weight) so it responds highly to shock changes.
Distractions in the thread aside, this part interests me greatly! Is that consideration of very stiff - is your reference relevant only for sports racers and formulae cars, or would that by any chance carry over to our door-slammers?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, I have found that too much rebound will tend to mimic bumpsteer in undulating corners. The steering is loading and then unloading because the wheel cannot return to the road fast enough. I would keep softening the rebound until the car can smoothly track over the undulations. Any thoughts on this?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark, I have found that too much rebound will tend to mimic bumpsteer in undulating corners. The steering is loading and then unloading because the wheel cannot return to the road fast enough. I would keep softening the rebound until the car can smoothly track over the undulations. Any thoughts on this?
I think you may get there but not by the right way. I'd try softening bump to smooth it out over undulations (but I am thinking you mean road imperfections, not the dip at Road Atlanta). In general, you will want to handle the smoothness/trackability of the car over bumps or small undulations by adjusting bump, not rebound. What I have found w/ far too soft rebound is that the car will oscillate off of compressions (not just bumps but coming off and even through longer turns) and w/ far too firm, it will jack itself down on the loaded (last loaded) side (as it is resisting coming back to center). To _me_ its far easier to adjust rebound from full soft to stiffer as I want to adjust up until the oscillation goes away (I think its harder _for me_ to feel it rolling less). Your comment about mimicing bump steer is not something I have felt but it makes sense, too stiff rebound damping up front will allow the car to continue to jack down under braking.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:07 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

For CC's benefit, having a better suspension set up on a Ferrari Challenge car took more than 2 seconds off a "best" lap time. Changes on the F car are limited by the rules, so it' spring packers and changes to the ride height (no aero tricks like Mark has). And yes, the driver is absolutely great.

Mark if I may, you set compression very hard and rebound soft to maintain contact. How is the ratio of compression to spring rate? I think you hinted at it, but I'm not sure I understand it. Rebound has to be firm enough to prevent oscillation. Are you using realtively soft springs and using the shocks to manage compression? Note the GT3 set up seems to do something similar. The shocks are way stiff and the spring rates are low. Rebound on the bilsteins is fairly stiff and I think there is room for improvement there .. or, my shocks are shot , which is possible after 12,000 odd track miles.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:17 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark; Save it, Bro. We already know how ignorant you are. Thanks!

Larry; If I may. You are probably feeling the impact-float-bam-float-bam of too much rebound keeping the wheels from returning into the valleys of bumps. I had not considered it, not having discrete adjust myself, but you are likely correct in your theory of steering subterfuge.

Furthermore, until you can consistently drive your car near the limit all the way around the track, detailed work on the car/setup is largely an unnecessary distraction.
And so from this we learn that...

If your car handles like a bag a crap, or even if it is only off by a tad, and you are not Michael Schumacker, just shut up and drive. You have no business trying to make it better, and will probably make it worse. Do not attempt to lay down a baseline and then build a knowledge base - as dear Sunday has suggested - for understanding by probing the cause/effect workings of your suspension adjustments because you are not yet worthy of such success and enlightenment.

Or, could the reason for your not "reaching the limit" be that you CAN'T because you must remain ignorant and not touch anything? Or, are you reaching a "false limit" because your car is a pig?

Stunning. Simply stunning.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:35 PM
hrk
Instructor

Distractions in the thread aside, this part interests me greatly! Is that consideration of very stiff - is your reference relevant only for sports racers and formulae cars, or would that by any chance carry over to our door-slammers?
Yes,

The natural frequency of each corner depends on sprung mass, unsprung mass, and wheel ratio.

Formula I've used would be
=187.8*SQRT(wheel ratio/sprung weight)

Wheel ratio can be determined by spring rate and ratio how it affects wheel (leverage and angle)

Sprung weight is a bit more difficult. I had corner weight, then I weighed the wheel and the sprung mass of suspension arms, brakes and such by removing spring and putting it into ride height.

"
Ranges of frequencies commonly found in different types of vehicles are:
Very soft passenger car: 0.5 to 0.8 Hz (30 to 50 opm)
More sporting passenger car: 1.0 to 1.3 Hz (60 to 80 opm)
Modern sports car: 1.1 to 1.5 Hz (70 to 90 opm)
Pavement race car with modest downforce: 1.5 to 2.0 Hz (90 to 120 opm)
Modern race car with ample downforce and ground effect: 5.0 Hz (300 opm) or more
"

hrk

Quick Reply: Shock Setup (from gsum thread)