Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Pads - Other than Padgid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:17 PM
agentpennypacker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes Pads - Other than Padgid?

I'm looking for new pads for my 964 coupe ---> I don't mind the squeal of the padgid orange on the street. In fact, I kept them on my 3.2 year round. My question is, is there anything comprable for less $$$?
Old 04-05-2005, 03:27 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I used Cobalt Friction Spec-VR last year and got 13 track days on one set. Their list prices skyrocketed this year but they're pushing sales thru distributors. I don't know what prices the distributors are offering but they might be still cheaper than Pagid. I would suspect they have longer life but I could be wrong.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:30 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Porterfields.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Hawk
Old 04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming this is an heavy use/aggressive street/auto-x type pad (vs. track or full on race pad), you might want to look at the following:

Axxis Ultimate ([FRONT] 1990-1994 PORSCHE 911 CARRERA 2 TYPE 964-EXCEPT TURBO) => $49.50
Hawk HP+ (FRONT] 1991-90 PORSCHE 911 Carrera 2 - exc. Turbo & Turbo Look, 2s) => $113.32
Carbotech Bobcats (I want to say mine were in the 80.00 range for the front axle set and they have been great, quiet and dustless - their website it down right now www.carbotecheng.com but this is the last number I have for them 1-877-899-5024. Ask for Matt)
Cobalt Friction ( where I got the prices for the above www.cobaltfriction.com) - I want to say their Cobalt GT is their sport pad - call Andie at (877) 562-9237 and ask, he's another great resource).

I would not be intimidated by inexpensive pads, I have found that some racing pads are every bit as good as others at twice the price. If I am wrong on what type of pad the Orange is, apologies.

For the track/race pad variety (they are all loud and squealy):
- Hawk 9012 (corrosive dust, very consistent pad to pad, pretty much found everywhere, good reliable brake pad)
- Porterfield R4 (corrosive dust, good torque, carbon base makes them diamond like on a hard braking track and dishes out some Joni Mitchel albums by day's end - IF you never run on high brake use tracks OR your car is very easy on brakes, I think this is a great pad - loved mine at VIR, wanted to chuck them at Kershaw)
- Cobalt Spec VR (never ran them, have heard good stuff)
- Carbotech Panther Plus (moderate use race pad, not good for hard braking track, poor release characteristics from my perspective)
- Carbotech Panther XP1107-10 (heavy use race pads, very good for hard braking applications, non-corrosive dust, have had good luck with them on the Porsche)
- PFC90 (great consistent pad, very consistent pad to pad, good for low to moderate braking apps, fair on rotors).
- PFC93 (unreal stopping power and highly consistent, very consistent pad to pad, best initial bite of anything I have used, great release, cannot wear out the pedal but unfortunately in wet or cold weather, the pads can out wear the rotors and can - may be a plus or minus - take more heat that anything else down in the wheel well, detraction is they are prone to extensive cracking and delamination OUTSIDE of the caliper, may be hard to find in your fitment).
- PFC97 (used only once and liked but does not have the initial bite or overall stopping power of PFC93 - very good pad however and little to no notable pad fade).

that's my .02, I have heard good reviews on the Cobalts but have not yet used them. I have also heard that the XP11 series was modeled off of the PFC01 (and I am a big fan of PFC and know this to be a great pad 2nd hand - have never found them in a fitment I need unfortunetly). For price, I would try the Carbotech or Cobalts in race pads too (as above) but you probably won't go wrong w/ a PFC either. Best of luck.

Last edited by Adam Richman; 04-05-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:57 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I'm pretty sure Porterfield is the manufacturer for Hawk, Performance Friction -- and even Raybestos.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jack,

How has your wear been on the Porterfields? With Big Reds, my front set lasted about 400 track miles (2 days) compared to Pagid Blacks which lasted an entire year (20 days)
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
a4944
Racer

I tried Porterfield R4s once on a near stock 3000 lb 944 Turbo on street tires. They laster no more than 2 weekends and scored the rotors. Same thing happened to a friend with a Contour SVT which is also a heavier car. I don't think they made it through one weekend at CMP.

I have been very happy with the PFC97 pads as far as durability and fade. They lasted at least four weekends (street tires), probably more. I did like the modulation of the R4s better but they did not last.

I'll probably stick with the 97s since they are working well for me. I am interested in the Panther pads though and may give them a try.

Mark
Old 04-05-2005, 05:43 PM
mm86911
Instructor

Just moved from Hawk to Cobalt this year (big reds) and find superior wear with similar grip but take longer to heat up. (250F Hawk 9012 vs 400F Cobalt?). Very pleased with the Cobalts.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:48 PM
quick
Intermediate

" Carbotech Panther XP1107-10 (heavy use race pads, very good for hard braking applications, non-corrosive dust, have had good luck with them on the Porsche)"

I concur. I use Carbotech Panther XP10s on the front, XP9s on the back, of my 2004 Z06 and they are great at the track--last a good while, are streetable, and their dust is non-corrosive to wheels, etc. They even squeak much less than, say, Hawks.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used Carbotech as well XP-08 worked great....

The PFC 93 are great....it's an over braking pad..increasing brake torque... if that makes sence.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:53 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Jack, How has your wear been on the Porterfields? With Big Reds, my front set lasted about 400 track miles (2 days) compared to Pagid Blacks which lasted an entire year (20 days)
I switched from Pagid Oranges to Porterfields (4S, I'm pretty sure). My car is 2400 pounds, with 930 brakes, but -- importantly -- I run street tires most of the time. I was getting too much lock-up with the Pagids, and wanted something slightly less aggressive (and quite a bit less expensive). I haven't been keeping track of wear, but it's better than the Pagids. I'd guesstimate 10 track days on a set?
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

where can you get carbotech pads for porsches? i ran XP's on my WRX and they had amazing braking response and feel on the track. not good for street and horrible performance when cold, but excellent track pads.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Adam Richman
Pro

Originally Posted by penguinking
where can you get carbotech pads for porsches?
"their website it down right now www.carbotecheng.com but this is the last number I have for them 1-877-899-5024. Ask for Matt"

Originally Posted by quick
I concur. I use Carbotech Panther XP10s on the front, XP9s on the back, of my 2004 Z06 and they are great at the track--last a good while, are streetable, and their dust is non-corrosive to wheels, etc.
Yeah, I have been surprised they are not even more popular w/ the high-end car market as the ceramic pads do not damage paint and wheel finishes (at least with everything I have run Panther Plus, XP1107, XP1108, XP1110). I wonder if its just a matter of having enough people try something and saying it won't kill ya We've been running them since prior to Larry's moving the company to NC back when they were first prototyping the XP1107 (think at the time they were calling the Plus the 1106). I really loved them at first but obviously it doesn't keep me from trying other options Because of the corrosion factor, they will probably be the only pad however I'd ever run on my street car on track (and I do run their Bobcats for street pads which have been very nice so far).
Old 04-05-2005, 11:53 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i've run the panther plus and XP pads and i mustt say only run the XPs on track - the bobcat and plus are good for street or autox but dont hold up nearly as well on track

thanks for the number - i spoken with matt before and he his very friendly and helpful.

Quick Reply: Brakes Pads - Other than Padgid?