Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA medical committee revoked my race license

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2024 | 05:30 PM
winders
Race Car

So, let's say I get diagnosed with OSA mid race season a week before the big Road America PCA Club Race. Based on what Todd has exposed here, it could be months before I would be allowed to race again. Since it usually take a 4 to 6 weeks to get the CPAP machine after OSA diagnosis, and then you need to collect X number of days of data before the PCA medical committee would be satisfied, you are looking at at least a month and more likely 2 months before you would be allowed back on track.

The lesson here? Do not tell the PCA about any medical conditions you might have as along as your doctor thinks you are safe to race....
The following 6 users liked this post by winders:
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024), Matt Romanowski (07-15-2024), NightBlueTTS (07-16-2024), Nowanker (07-15-2024), ProCoach (07-16-2024), Zhao (07-15-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-15-2024 | 06:08 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
So, let's say I get diagnosed with OSA mid race season a week before the big Road America PCA Club Race. Based on what Todd has exposed here, it could be months before I would be allowed to race again. Since it usually take a 4 to 6 weeks to get the CPAP machine after OSA diagnosis, and then you need to collect X number of days of data before the PCA medical committee would be satisfied, you are looking at at least a month and more likely 2 months before you would be allowed back on track.

The lesson here? Do not tell the PCA about any medical conditions you might have as along as your doctor thinks you are safe to race....
I don't race, just DE but Check and Check. My doctor knows my health best.
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024)
Old 07-15-2024 | 06:26 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

Originally Posted by winders

...The lesson here? Do not tell the PCA about any medical conditions you might have as along as your doctor thinks you are safe to race....
Pretty sad state of affairs, but a reasonable philosophy for alot of different situations.

"Do not invite THE MAN into your life."
--Somebody wise.
The following 3 users liked this post by Nowanker:
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024), Maxant13 (07-18-2024), NightBlueTTS (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 12:03 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

"So, let's say I get diagnosed with OSA mid race season a week before the big Road America PCA Club Race. Based on what Todd has exposed here, it could be months before I would be allowed to race again. Since it usually take a 4 to 6 weeks to get the CPAP machine after OSA diagnosis, and then you need to collect X number of days of data before the PCA medical committee would be satisfied, you are looking at at least a month and more likely 2 months before you would be allowed back on track."

Yep. And maybe a much longer time.

Jane Doe. A PCA racer with 10 years of experience. No incidents, runs up front. Also a very active DE instructor.

She is 45 years old, 5'5" and 110 pounds.

An endurance athlete for the past 15 years.

She decides to submit a renewal medical form just six months into a two-year license.

Why?

She had a PE with her HCP and it was convenient. She figured "why not?"

( I have done so in the past myself).

Let's say PCA receives this form on August 1st.

She has instructed in 3 DE's and raced in three PCA club race weekends during that six months.

No incidents, and two "hard charger" awards.

On her form, she discloses a new diagnosis of OSA.

Does PCA contact her and ask her about her OSA diagnosis, for example her AHI result?

Let's say they do, and they ask her about CPAP therapy.

A diagnosis of OSA does NOT automatically result in a prescription for CPAP.

But, in our example, Jane's HCP has prescribed CPAP rx.

If CPAP rx is prescribed, a CPAP machine can be obtained within a day or two. Or it can take awhile... product back-orders, appointments for training with DME providers, et cetera. Perhaps weeks.

If there are insurance forms, decisions, et cetera, who knows?

So let's say in Jane's case, the machine she has chosen is back-ordered one month. She is not happy about that, but she really wants this specific brand and model. She has a CPAP training appointment booked for the day the DME gets the machine in stock-- right after Labor Day.

Between now and Labor Day, she has planned three PCA race weekends.

What would PCA do?

Would they tell her that her ACTIVE license is revoked or suspended, unless or until she can provide compliant CPAP data (at least four hours of use for 70% of days covering a for a 90-day period)?

That timing would take us to... December?

What would PCA do?

Seems like no soup for Jane until at least mid-December.

Can PCA clarify up front?

Even if PCA's process is flexible for situations like this, would it be in everyone's best interest for all candidates to be aware of the potential or likely requirement for 90 days of data up front?

Perhaps they can consider a racer's track record?

I don't want to advise PCA on risk management. I do not know all of the variables. Not my area of expertise.

And if they have to keep things confidential, so be it.

But... suggestions for better "customer service?" Sure.

Pointing out opportunities for "process improvement?" Sure.

"The lesson here? Do not tell the PCA about any medical conditions you might have as along (sic) as your doctor thinks you are safe to race...."

And perhaps unintended consequences for PCA.

Last edited by Mahler9th; 07-16-2024 at 12:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Mahler9th:
DKP 97 C2 Coupe (07-16-2024), LuigiVampa (07-16-2024), needmoregarage (07-16-2024), NightBlueTTS (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 10:56 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

I think the bottom line is that PCA needs to have the attitude of working with drivers to enable them to get, maintain, and renew their racing licenses, rather than being hardasses and relishing their authoritarian power to say "No" to people.

Considering Luigi's history of racing with PCA without any evident issues that should raise safety concern, PCA should have just renewed his license immediately, with the condition that he needed to provide CPAP usage data within a reasonable number of days after the renewal. Having heard only Luigi's side of the story, it appears that some people in PCA acted like ******** because they could.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024), ProCoach (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 11:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
I think the bottom line is that PCA needs to have the attitude of working with drivers to enable them to get, maintain, and renew their racing licenses, rather than being hardasses and relishing their authoritarian power to say "No" to people.

Considering Luigi's history of racing with PCA without any evident issues that should raise safety concern, PCA should have just renewed his license immediately, with the condition that he needed to provide CPAP usage data within a reasonable number of days after the renewal. Having heard only Luigi's side of the story, it appears that some people in PCA acted like ******** because they could.
You've heard there side of the story in their answer to him above.
Old 07-16-2024 | 11:50 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

PCA has, at long last, made an attempt to respond to my issue, and asked that I post it to all the places on the internet where they have been "assailed". Rennlist is the only place I have taken part in any dialogue on this matter so I am posting it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/88l53...zk1g9bti0&dl=0

This is my response:

Good morning,

I appreciate, at long last, an answer which contains a modicum of facts and an attempt at interpreting PCA’s rules of governance. While I would have preferred an answer in favor of my position, what I have been looking for was to receive any answer which relied on PCA’s rules, rather than just being told to shut up and comply. I don’t agree with the policy decision, nor do I agree with the interpretation of the rules, but having at long last received a response which at the very least attempts to rely on PCA’s rules of governance, I will have to accept this result.

Your letter paints PCA leadership as victims who have been “continually assailed” when in fact it was this same leadership’s failure to engage in any productive dialog which caused this situation. I attempted to negotiate with PCA privately and in good faith for five weeks, and it was only after being repeatedly told to go away without any meaningful responses, that I pressed my case more vigorously. You can’t treat someone the way I have been treated and also claim the status of victim. I’ve also heard how my character has been maligned within PCA, so let’s not any of us play the victim here.

How much easier would this have been had PCA made even the smallest attempt to engage in a meaningful dialog with me? PCA can’t always make rules or policies which make everyone happy, but PCA can always treat its members with respect. From start to finish what caused this incident was a disrespectful attitude toward what was, and still is, a legitimate discussion about PCA’s various policies and rules surrounding this matter.

I do hope that PCA acknowledges that many PCA club racers still want PCA to review both its policies and rules regarding this matter, and more specifically, what we now learn is the “ad hoc” Medical Committee being the final and total arbiter of each driver’s medical fitness, instead of their doctor.

Despite all of this, I still believe in PCA, and not wanting this distraction to go any further, I will accept PCA’s ruling on this matter as it pertains to me, while continuing to advocate for a change in policy.

Sincerely,

Todd
The following 5 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
FunWithFiorio (07-16-2024), Matt Romanowski (07-16-2024), needmoregarage (07-16-2024), plafondles (07-16-2024), thebishman (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 12:06 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

From: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon

Not the resolution you were hoping for, but thank you for taking up the fight.
Question authority.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nowanker:
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024), Maxant13 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 01:13 PM
Pete Debusmann
Rennlist Member

Does this mean you’ll be racing with us next month at NJMP?

Pete
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 01:41 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete Debusmann
Does this mean you’ll be racing with us next month at NJMP?

Pete
I love the NJMP race, but sadly, as I did not think this matter was going to be resolved anytime soon, I made plans to be away for business.

Technically this matter is still not resolved, but I am working toward a resolution.
Old 07-16-2024 | 02:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Technically this matter is still not resolved, but I am working toward a resolution.
Happy it's closer to the end, with what may be a palatable agreement for both sides. Just based on the number of views, now at over 102k, it's by far the topic of most interest to people in the racing and DE communities. Rather than being a contest of wills, perhaps PCA might consider the unindented consequences of what this has brought forth and look to have a positive result, more specifically an open comment area and data set they can review to perhaps better serve their members in this particular area of activities. Regardless, I wish nothing but the best for you and PCA and a day we can put this behind us.
The following 2 users liked this post by multi21:
LuigiVampa (07-16-2024), ProCoach (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 05:14 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by multi21
Happy it's closer to the end, with what may be a palatable agreement for both sides. Just based on the number of views, now at over 102k, it's by far the topic of most interest to people in the racing and DE communities. Rather than being a contest of wills, perhaps PCA might consider the unindented consequences of what this has brought forth and look to have a positive result, more specifically an open comment area and data set they can review to perhaps better serve their members in this particular area of activities. Regardless, I wish nothing but the best for you and PCA and a day we can put this behind us.
One would hope PCA would look at this with a little bit of introspection. If they do nothing over the winter to review the rules than we all have our answer.
multi21 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 06:16 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
PCA has, at long last, made an attempt to respond to my issue, and asked that I post it to all the places on the internet where they have been "assailed". Rennlist is the only place I have taken part in any dialogue on this matter so I am posting it here.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/88l53...zk1g9bti0&dl=0

This is my response:
So many thoughts with respect to that response. Interesting that they put it on you to post their response publicly.

Given that their expressed objective is risk management, perhaps some assistance could be crowd-sourced? e.g. a survey that asks club racers just one question:

1. How does PCA’s handling of this matter impact your likelihood of disclosing medical issues in the future:
a) much more likely
b) more likely
c) neutral
d) less likely
​​​​​e) much less likely
f) I don’t intend to remain with PCA (alternatively, “The PCA”)

And to further assist, the results could be public so that PCA’s insurers have transparency into the efficacy of their policies.

Anyone against transparency?

Last edited by NightBlueTTS; 07-16-2024 at 07:00 PM.
93 FireHawk 968 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 06:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

PCA's insurers are also the insurers of other organizations, tracks and teams. They're not the pressure point, I assure you.

It's PCA, for the most part, that determines the acceptable level of risk above and beyond the industry standard, IME.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Matt Romanowski (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 06:40 PM
NightBlueTTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
PCA's insurers are also the insurers of other organizations, tracks and teams. They're not the pressure point, I assure you.

It's PCA, for the most part, that determines the acceptable level of risk above and beyond the industry standard, IME.
Your logic makes sense to me..I meant my post as a direct retort to the response that Todd received.
ProCoach (07-16-2024)

Quick Reply: PCA medical committee revoked my race license