Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 11:50 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I agree the teams, especially Ferrari, are the foundation of F1.

As for them leaving and forming their own series, doing that would have no effect or breach of contract with regards to the commercial rights agreement between Liberty/FOM and the FIA.

The teams are bound to the FIA ad FOM via the Concord Agreement which is completely separate from the commercial rights deal between FOM and FIA. By the terms of the Concord Agreement FOM/Liberty is actually the party responsible for keeping the teams happy and in the fold via financial compensation. When the Concord Agreement needs renewing it is FOM/Liberty that approached the teams and negotiates them into signing it. The FIA simply approves the Concord Agreement once it is finalized.

The Concord Agreement has expired around every 7-10 years or so for the past 40+ years. The teams could have left at any time during those expiration/renewal periods but they never have, and they experienced way way way more BS, epic amounts of BS, in the past than they are now.

Nobody is going anywhere. They are all getting too rich to kill the golden goose Bernie, and now Liberty, have developed. Liberty and the teams know the upper management of the FIA is a bit of a joke but in a weird way it is useful, sort of a partner yet common adversary.
I meant to mention in my post that the Concorde Agreement is up for renewal in 2026, and that that would be the perfect timeframe to try and get out from under the FIA ‘drama’; for both the teams and Liberty. No doubt it will all come down to money; it generally always does. Thanks for the extra insights into the way the FIA; FOM and the Teams are interwoven btw.
Old 12-09-2023, 02:33 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

Nobody is going anywhere. They are all getting too rich to kill the golden goose Bernie, and now Liberty, have developed. Liberty and the teams know the upper management of the FIA is a bit of a joke but in a weird way it is useful, sort of a partner yet common adversary.
I believe the term you are looking for to describe the FIA is "useful idiots".

I agree with your assessment that the teams are not going anywhere, and believe this incident was a more personal attack directed at Toto, rather than a power play between the FIA and FOM. There is a lot of chatter that MBS wants Andretti and Toto has been the most vocal opponent among the teams. I believe MBS was trying to shut him up and it backfired in spectacular fashion.

The only things I don't agree with is Suzie Wolf labeling the attack as misogynist. Just because you are a women, and have been attached by a man, does not make the attack misogynistic. (I abhor identity politics!) Plus, I don't even believe she was the target of the attack, but rather her husband. She was just collateral damage.

Last edited by LuigiVampa; 12-09-2023 at 02:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (12-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 03:57 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

The following 8 users liked this post by Nizer:
Carlo_Carrera (12-09-2023), Coochas (12-09-2023), Estoril (12-09-2023), LuigiVampa (12-09-2023), Matt Romanowski (12-10-2023), skl (12-10-2023), t-design (02-15-2024), thebishman (12-09-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-09-2023, 05:01 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 548 Likes on 331 Posts

How about LeClerc as Maxi's teammate next year?
Don't think Max would like that...
Old 12-09-2023, 06:23 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I believe the term you are looking for to describe the FIA is "useful idiots".

I agree with your assessment that the teams are not going anywhere, and believe this incident was a more personal attack directed at Toto, rather than a power play between the FIA and FOM. There is a lot of chatter that MBS wants Andretti and Toto has been the most vocal opponent among the teams. I believe MBS was trying to shut him up and it backfired in spectacular fashion.

The only things I don't agree with is Suzie Wolf labeling the attack as misogynist. Just because you are a women, and have been attached by a man, does not make the attack misogynistic. (I abhor identity politics!) Plus, I don't even believe she was the target of the attack, but rather her husband. She was just collateral damage.
Toto and more specifically Mercedes, have a very powerful position within F1, not just as a team, but an engine supplier. In that regard, I agree with you that Toto was most likely the target of this. I said it earlier in this thread and still hold firm that Susie going to the misogyny card was complete nonsense and is a disservice to actual acts of misogyny, but it doesn't surprise me coming from the Mercedes/Toto Wolff/Hamilton camp. It's actually par for the course with that group, so not surprised, just exhausted with it all.

Originally Posted by Nowanker
How about LeClerc as Maxi's teammate next year?
Don't think Max would like that...
LeClerc is a great qualifying driver with a slower car and very clever and showed Max a couple things in 2021 and 2023 about waiting for DRS lines and counter punching. Max learned quickly however and was able to adjust only a lap later. It would be a great pairing.
Old 12-09-2023, 09:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,212 Likes on 1,851 Posts

All you need to see is the respect between Leclerc and Verstappen on track.

That would not happen as teammates,

Max is in destroy mode with any teammate. Classic WDC behavior.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 12-10-2023, 12:38 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Definitely true, but I doubt we'll ever see it happen... wonder if we'll ever have another Senna/Prost pairing again in F1?????? Do we need to bring Ron back??
Old 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

For a team with only 1 win since 2021, Mercedes and Toto sure seem to be in the news a lot and never for the right reasons. A F1 executive has stated that the FIA want to reign in Toto as he's exhibited too much power culminating from putting a gun to Jean Todt's head to fire Michael Masi. The incident reported in various European reports over several countries says that Toto threatened to have Hamilton quit F1 if Masi wasn't fired before the start of the season.

In other Mercedes drama that is always in the news for one reason or another, a fan posted the 3rd place trophy for the F1 season in his possession on his Twitter/X account. According to the holder of this trophy, apparently he was walking past Lewis Hamilton and he just randomly gave him his 2023 trophy and walked away. Personally, I can understand that he doesn't want to keep a 3rd place trophy when he's a 7 time WDC, but perhaps someone at the factory would be more deserving and who had actually worked hard to achieve the result may have been more appropriate to have given the trophy. I can only imagine where that trophy would be if he had seen a garbage can before the random fan.
ProCoach (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 11:00 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by multi21
The incident reported in various European reports over several countries says that Toto threatened to have Hamilton quit F1 if Masi wasn't fired before the start of the season.
And he thought this was a threat?

Old 12-10-2023, 11:17 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

If I'm reading you correctly, it was as LH was the biggest star on the grid at the time. No one knew that Max would emerge as the biggest star in F1 in such a short amount of time. Sure the FIA can tell MB to go pound sand now as LH has lost his appeal except to the most ardent supporters, but at the time, it would have been a huge loss to the sport.
Old 12-10-2023, 11:23 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

+1

I will add that while others have dominated, and destroyed their teammate, almost none that I can remember have done it so cleanly, without error, and without taking desperate risks.

To finish every lap, and win the WDC, is probably the most impressive statistic.
The following 3 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
multi21 (12-10-2023), Nizer (12-10-2023), winders (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 12:13 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

If I'm reading you correctly, it was as LH was the biggest star on the grid at the time. No one knew that Max would emerge as the biggest star in F1 in such a short amount of time. Sure the FIA can tell MB to go pound sand now as LH has lost his appeal except to the most ardent supporters, but at the time, it would have been a huge loss to the sport.
My bad. I thought we were talking about current events, in which case my statement would stand.

F1: Mercedes boss Toto Wolff labels Michael Masi an ‘idiot’ after Abu Dhabi call | The Independent

Toto Wolff makes feelings clear on "idiot" Michael Masi after hint at F1 return - Mirror Online

Last edited by Nizer; 12-10-2023 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:12 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

More quotes from last night's award ceremony:

HAMILTON CRITICISES THE CHOICE TO HOLD THE GALA FIA IN BAKU: "WHERE DID THE ATTENTION TO SUSTAINABILITY GO? "
“I promise I really like Baku and it’s a great place, but I wonder what the Federation thinks about sustainability.
Why did it take so many people to fly to get here when the FIA is based in Paris? It would have been easier to organize it there”.

The top 3 drivers are required to go as well as the winning manufacturer. If you recall, following the 2021 season, both Mercedes and Hamilton were fined 50,000 Euros for not attending.
Old 12-10-2023, 01:45 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 548 Likes on 331 Posts

Toto Wolff may be an *sshole, and he may be a bully...
But that doesn't make Michael Masi any less of an idiot!
Good riddance.

Perhaps the rules enforcement pendulum has swung back a little too far (track limits?), but at least they're trying to be consistent.
They still have a ways to go there...
The following 2 users liked this post by Nowanker:
multi21 (12-10-2023), thebishman (12-10-2023)
Old 12-10-2023, 02:37 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

For a team with only 1 win since 2021, Mercedes and Toto sure seem to be in the news a lot and never for the right reasons. A F1 executive has stated that the FIA want to reign in Toto as he's exhibited too much power culminating from putting a gun to Jean Todt's head to fire Michael Masi. The incident reported in various European reports over several countries says that Toto threatened to have Hamilton quit F1 if Masi wasn't fired before the start of the season.

In other Mercedes drama that is always in the news for one reason or another, a fan posted the 3rd place trophy for the F1 season in his possession on his Twitter/X account. According to the holder of this trophy, apparently he was walking past Lewis Hamilton and he just randomly gave him his 2023 trophy and walked away. Personally, I can understand that he doesn't want to keep a 3rd place trophy when he's a 7 time WDC, but perhaps someone at the factory would be more deserving and who had actually worked hard to achieve the result may have been more appropriate to have given the trophy. I can only imagine where that trophy would be if he had seen a garbage can before the random fan.
You know, your hatred for, and obsession with all things Mercedes; Toto Wolfe and especially Hamilton is well known here; for a supposed Ferrari fan you spend about 90% of your time slagging off Mercedes team members. But you really need to stop posting rubbish from Social Media as ‘fact’ here due to your obsession, as it just makes you look petty:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...-gala-gift-fan
goin2drt (12-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season