Sponsored by:

Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 08:53 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Why was Hamilton so pissy in the cooldown room? Its not like he got screwed over or anything like that. George won and they were free to race.
Did you see the look on Toto's face and his reaction as well ? If I'm not mistaken, he didnt even go out for the podium ceremony but was rather in the garage doing some phone call. Its amazing that the 2 of them (Hamilton and Toto) were both so visibly peeved. Crazy also that we have our 2nd race in a row with a team finishing 1-2 and what seems like all kinds of contention in the team.

I cant believe that this got taken away from George
Old 07-29-2024, 08:56 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I think any guy who expects to win, but couldn't quite match pace with the guy he needed to beat, would be pissed. It's not an LH issue, it's a front running driver issue. Piastri was taking whole hunks of time out of both of the front two, but he was cool. Refreshing...
Exactly ! Lewis got beat on a team strategy call. He legitimately should have won had Russell done a 2 stop, so the strategy call hurt Lewis.... Just like it hurt Piastri last weekend. Only difference was that the team "forced" Norris to give up the spot and that didnt happen for Lewis.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:06 AM
ELange0322
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Rhetorical question?

Russell really earned that win. He looked knackered after the race. Stellar drive.

Did anyone notice Toto's expression immediately after the checkered flag? He looked disappointed that Hamilton didn't win.

Edit: just saw Russell DQ. He still won in my book.

I wonder if they had too little fuel to make weight given the switch to one-stop strategy wasn't the default plan?
Same as my previous reply to Luigi's post. Same with Hamilton, right as I was starting to enjoy him being in the battle at the top. What a couple of colossal ********.

George was emotionally overcome. See him get out of the car and run to the team ? He was like a 6 year old celebrating. It was great and refreshing to see. Ive always liked George but thought he'd make mistakes at critical moments in prior races. He didnt here. He absolutely deserves this win
Old 07-29-2024, 09:07 AM
George P.
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ELange0322
Exactly ! Lewis got beat on a team strategy call. He legitimately should have won had Russell done a 2 stop, so the strategy call hurt Lewis.... Just like it hurt Piastri last weekend. Only difference was that the team "forced" Norris to give up the spot and that didnt happen for Lewis.
mclaren undercut piastri when they should have pitted. GR chose to change strategy completely. LH suggested staying out but accepted the decision to cover.
completely different situation and the latter would not warrant team orders to switch positions.
The following users liked this post:
Ksdaoski (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 09:25 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,823 Likes on 912 Posts

LH was silent during the final 4 laps. No bitching or complaining. I think LH was pissed and disappointed that he was within 0.5 seconds of GR with 4 laps to go and could not pass him, despite fresher tires. Everyone in the field would be mad and disappointed with that. And completely different scenarios than McL last week. One stop wasn't on the radar for anyone at the start of the race. 2 drivers went 1 stop and 17 went two stops. Until GR made the call. It's also the reason why he had it stripped away.
.. Edit: 5 drivers went 1 stop not 2.

Race pace is interesting.... Look who's behind Perez...

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 07-29-2024 at 09:43 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ksdaoski:
ParadiseGT3 (07-30-2024), thebishman (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 09:48 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Ok, here’s a thought….

What if Russell would have pitted the second time. Would that have saved enough fuel for him to still make weight? I’m thinking probably not, but it might have been closer. Of course then he wouldn’t have won either.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:55 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Ok, here’s a thought….

What if Russell would have pitted the second time. Would that have saved enough fuel for him to still make weight? I’m thinking probably not, but it might have been closer. Of course then he wouldn’t have won either.
Russell "won" because he didn't pit a second time.
If he pitted a second time, he would have lost ~20 seconds and would have ended 4th or 5th.

Did anyone watch the Toto interview with F1 TV, before the win was taken away? He was happy for GR, but surprised it worked out, their projections had GR at 5th with a single stop and 5th with a 2 stop. GR final 4 laps were unbelievable given everything.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 07-29-2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-29-2024, 10:09 AM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by George P.
mclaren undercut piastri when they should have pitted. GR chose to change strategy completely. LH suggested staying out but accepted the decision to cover.
completely different situation and the latter would not warrant team orders to switch positions.
This was my take too. The McLaren situation was two drivers on the same strategy, but just pit them in the wrong order. The Mercedes was completely different since George ended up on the one stop strategy.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:39 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Ok, here’s a thought….

So I've gotten some clarification on the way weight is measured. There needs to be NO FUEL or driver in the car and must meet 800 KG. George had plenty of fuel but not enough ballast after they drained the entire car of fuel. This was a colossal mistake by MB as they know there is no cool down lap at Spa and no chance for marble pick up to add weight. They cut the margins so thin that George got screwed by the team when they decided to change strategy. If the reverse would have happened and LH won but was later DQed because of 1.5 KG light, the conspiracy theorists would have had a field day. At the end of the day, George drove the best I've ever seen him drive, but the rules are the rules and he lost 25 pts. whilst Mercedes lost 20 its in the contructors.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:44 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Kind of a confusing article. Did both cars suffer from the same issue, but Max dealt with it better, or was Perez the only one with car issues.

If only Perez's car was compromised its kinda hard to judge him against Max.

Still, unless he won this race I don't think he has a seat in 2025, and perhaps not over the break.

What happened to RB being ruthless with its drivers?
Red Bull’s explanation re: Perez’ ‘car issues’ sounded like complete (Red) BS imho. There wasn’t anything wrong with Max’s car except that the team chose to run a high downforce wing on Saturday, and it cost them Vmax on Sunday.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,726 Likes on 5,123 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
So I've gotten some clarification on the way weight is measured. There needs to be NO FUEL or driver in the car and must meet 800 KG. George had plenty of fuel but not enough ballast after they drained the entire car of fuel. This was a colossal mistake by MB as they know there is no cool down lap at Spa and no chance for marble pick up to add weight. They cut the margins so thin that George got screwed by the team when they decided to change strategy. If the reverse would have happened and LH won but was later DQed because of 1.5 KG light, the conspiracy theorists would have had a field day. At the end of the day, George drove the best I've ever seen him drive, but the rules are the rules and he lost 25 pts. whilst Mercedes lost 20 its in the contructors.
Those MB folks probably took strategy lessons from former SS Kimberly A. Cheatle.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:59 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Mercedes made a stupid mistake, one that frankly is unforgivable for a top team not named Ferrari. They did not ‘screw’ George, because a loss of 20 points in the WCC could well have severe consequences at season’s end.
George made the call to stay out on a ‘1 stopper’, and given that the team thought that he would end up in 5th place regardless of a second tyre stop or not, they rolled the dice. It worked out brilliantly given George’s astounding driving and ability to manage his tyres; until it didn’t.
You are right in that apparently the team failed to install enough ballast in the car, and because of that **** up, the best driver of the day had the win taken away from him. No wonder he must be gutted, and given that I think he is like Norris, in that a bad outcome seems to negatively effect them mentally somewhat, I hope he bounces back over the summer break,
Old 07-29-2024, 12:00 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 942 Likes on 573 Posts

Carlos to Williams!!!
Old 07-29-2024, 12:07 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Listen back to the in car radio.
George made the call to go single stop.
It was not proposed by Mercedes. They were actively encouraging a second stop. However they were not absolute in that direction. They were letting George make the decision.
Each time George said the tires were feeling good and getting faster.
They informed George of every single racers stop in the pit. George either ignored it or stated he was good with the single stop.
I heard four team principles after the race all say a single stop was not in the cards prior to the race starting. Christian, Fred, Zach, and Toto. The cars were not set up for a single stop. The one potential exception Carlos says he started with hards because he thought a single stop was possible.... So that contradicts what Fred said.

George made a call, it seemed like a good one at the time, it was contrary to all other contending cars, but it didn't pan out in the end.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:11 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,517 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Carlos to Williams!!!
Interesting, I guess Toto feels that Russell is good enough to be a true number one. And doesn’t have any issues bringing in a junior driver for the second seat.

I think it also means Red Bull have made a decision on Perez, or his replacement.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season