Formula 1 - 2024 Season

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 06:48 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've head way worse over radios than anything anyone in F1 has ever said. I think people blow the small clips of the radio during a race way out of proportion.
I am glad that all the things I have said behind the wheel of a race car, and all my hand gestures, are not beamed to millions of people.
The following 2 users liked this post by LuigiVampa:
hacker-pschorr (06-18-2024), skl (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:17 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I've head way worse over radios than anything anyone in F1 has ever said. I think people blow the small clips of the radio during a race way out of proportion.
So what we hear Hamilton say over the radio has nothing to do with the kind of person he is? What he says comes from the mouth of some other person that has nothing to do with the person Hamilton is in real life???? Watching and listening too people in competition under stress tells you more about their true character than anything else you might see in social settings.

I can play around of golf with someone and know immediately if I would ever do business with them.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:20 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I am glad that all the things I have said behind the wheel of a race car, and all my hand gestures, are not beamed to millions of people.
There is nothing wrong with hand gestures and words spewed at a competitor...especially if they have done something to screw you over. Have you ever yelled at the person on the other end of your radio and blamed them for all your woes happening during a race?
Old 06-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
Outside of Alonso and Hamilton's rift, who has he thrown under the bus? Any off-hand comments to Ocon, were well deserved retorts.
Alonso once threw his engine supplier under the bus "GP2, GP2".
The following 3 users liked this post by Glyndellis:
LuigiVampa (06-18-2024), ProCoach (06-18-2024), thebishman (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
There is nothing wrong with hand gestures and words spewed at a competitor...especially if they have done something to screw you over. Have you ever yelled at the person on the other end of your radio and blamed them for all your woes happening during a race?
Until you've listened to every radio communication between every driver and their team during every race....ever...you're just cherry picking someone you already don't like. You only get to hear what the broadcast team wants you to hear, or what the team decides to release.

Back in the late 80's / early 90's I attended many CART races with a scanner. It would be a shorter list of drivers who didn't bitch out the team when something went wrong. Often times the radio communications were so "colorful" we enjoyed listening to that over watching the race.
The following 2 users liked this post by hacker-pschorr:
tgibrit (06-19-2024), thebishman (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 06:28 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr
Until you've listened to every radio communication between every driver and their team during every race....ever...you're just cherry picking someone you already don't like. You only get to hear what the broadcast team wants you to hear, or what the team decides to release.

Back in the late 80's / early 90's I attended many CART races with a scanner. It would be a shorter list of drivers who didn't bitch out the team when something went wrong. Often times the radio communications were so "colorful" we enjoyed listening to that over watching the race.
You don't get to tell me what I can and cannot do.....
Old 06-18-2024, 06:38 PM
ParadiseGT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 960 Likes on 529 Posts

lol I don't think that he did. We need to get to a race weekend around here.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 06:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,102 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
No, I haven't.

I've also said I do not understand drivers (professional but especially amateur) who yell at their crew. I want my crew to care about me so that I have the most reliable and safest car I can get. Acting like an A-hole does little to accomplish that.

I have to wonder if I were at the top of the motorsports world, with millions, perhaps hundreds of millions of dollar on the line, would I feel differently? I don't know and never will.
Old 06-18-2024, 06:56 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 548 Likes on 331 Posts

On to Spain!
NOT my favorite track, but it beats holy sh*t out of discussing who might be the bigger dickwad.
The following 6 users liked this post by Nowanker:
500 (06-20-2024), Carlo_Carrera (06-18-2024), Crubbert (06-21-2024), GT3_Driver (06-19-2024), skl (06-18-2024), tgibrit (06-19-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:13 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
Massa comes to mind.
Made it clear right off that he would be number 2 on the team
Well, pretty sure Schumacher did the same and many other established top drivers. Most of the teams also designate a 1-2 order in the team. I differentiate this from the term of "throwing a teammate under the bus", which intones sabotaging/blaming someone else, to save your own *** from a bad outcome.

Last edited by CCA; 06-18-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:24 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Glyndellis
Alonso once threw his engine supplier under the bus "GP2, GP2".
Yes, he did. That Honda engine and program was crap and a complete embarrassment for a few years, so I can understand his frustration. However, I can also understand a large corporation like Honda, not appreciating that coming from their drivers' mouth. The engine failures were shameful enough for them, so not a wise remark by him, and he's paid for it.
Old 06-19-2024, 05:25 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

🗣Ralf Schumacher:

“Max Verstappen would have won the race in Canada in a Mercedes, there is no doubt about that.

Mercedes need Max Verstappen. Mercedes has been dry for a long time and urgently needs a world champion to get back on track.”

Translation: either one of the Mercedes drivers should have won that race because they had the fastest car, but instead Max won it in the 3rd fastest car. Funniest line is Mercedes being an old driver up _____ with their current lineup of drivers. 😂
Old 06-20-2024, 09:37 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 421 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
🗣Ralf Schumacher:

“Max Verstappen would have won the race in Canada in a Mercedes, there is no doubt about that.

Mercedes need Max Verstappen. Mercedes has been dry for a long time and urgently needs a world champion to get back on track.”

Translation: either one of the Mercedes drivers should have won that race because they had the fastest car, but instead Max won it in the 3rd fastest car. Funniest line is Mercedes being an old driver up _____ with their current lineup of drivers. 😂
Sorry, but I believe you have the wrong interpretation. I think Ralf was saying that as Max appears to be the dominant driver at the moment, he would have taken the checkered flag in a car that isn’t the fastest, (the Mercedes). The reason Mercedes needs Verstappen according to Ralf is that he can get the most out of the car and win with it, whereas George or Lewis can’t currently do so.
Old 06-20-2024, 12:58 PM
winders
Race Car

Originally Posted by thebishman
Sorry, but I believe you have the wrong interpretation. I think Ralf was saying that as Max appears to be the dominant driver at the moment, he would have taken the checkered flag in a car that isn’t the fastest, (the Mercedes). The reason Mercedes needs Verstappen according to Ralf is that he can get the most out of the car and win with it, whereas George or Lewis can’t currently do so.
No, he got it right. The RB20 was the fifth fastest car in that race…yet Verstappen won. Both McLarens and both Mercedes were the faster cars.
The following users liked this post:
LuigiVampa (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 05:58 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,867 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I want my crew to care about me so that I have the most reliable and safest car I can get. Acting like an A-hole does little to accomplish that.
Maybe step up your gummy bears game....

Quick Reply: Formula 1 - 2024 Season