Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 ROCK the SUMMIT PCA Club Race Sept 18-20

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 11:43 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Yes, I'm already signed up for the open practice day Thursday. Electric-only will be fine (especially if 50A); that way we don't have to run the generator. Non-grass is best, We've been around the block a few times, so we know that every place is different; we can deal.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:00 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,760 Likes on 1,732 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
How good are you at backing up in the dark? There’s no hookups aside from electric btw, and I don’t believe there’s a dump station on-site

EDIT: I misread your post - if you're showing up Wednesday, you'll be fine. Those arriving late Thursday typically have a tougher time
Having arrived at SP with a trailer after dark I can tell you that SP darkness is extra dark. You want to get there while it is still light if you want any chance of navigating a trailer.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:07 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
Yes, I'm already signed up for the open practice day Thursday. Electric-only will be fine (especially if 50A); that way we don't have to run the generator. Non-grass is best, We've been around the block a few times, so we know that every place is different; we can deal.
50A in the paved paddock is very limited. Looking at the paddock map posted above, there is 1 50 amp box at each of the power box rows adjacent to areas F through M (no 50A at N). The one unfortunate thing about the power at SP main is that while there are 5 or 6 power hookups at those locations they are all in the same spot. And, several of them are out of reach of a standard length RV power cord unless you unhook the trailer and park facing with the passenger side away from the action (i.e., with the passenger side along the tree line). With my 43' RV with 35' power cable, I can't reach the 50 amp box in J, K, L, or M and stay within the paddock spots. I recently bought a 30' 50 amp extension cord solely because of how much time I spend in the SP paddock and I got tired of being relegated to I or H when me and my buddies all prefer to hang out in L and M.

Last edited by DTMiller; 08-26-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:45 AM
thelittlemrs
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
50A in the paved paddock is very limited. Looking at the paddock map posted above, there is 1 50 amp box at each of the power box rows adjacent to areas F through M (no 50A at N). The one unfortunate thing about the power at SP main is that while there are 5 or 6 power hookups at those locations they are all in the same spot. And, several of them are out of reach of a standard length RV power cord unless you unhook the trailer and park facing with the passenger side away from the action (i.e., with the passenger side along the tree line). With my 43' RV with 35' power cable, I can't reach the 50 amp box in J, K, L, or M and stay within the paddock spots. I recently bought a 30' 50 amp extension cord solely because of how much time I spend in the SP paddock and I got tired of being relegated to I or H when me and my buddies all prefer to hang out in L and M.
Another note regarding the 50A spots. Yes, they are limited. Nearly all of them are reserved for Sponsors. There are a few in the grass paddock area that will for sure be first-come-first-served. There are a zillion 30A hookups though.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:14 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by thelittlemrs
Another note regarding the 50A spots. Yes, they are limited. Nearly all of them are reserved for Sponsors. There are a few in the grass paddock area that will for sure be first-come-first-served. There are a zillion 30A hookups though.
We are pretty experienced racetrack RVers. It would be unprepared to not carry both 50A and 30A extension cords and an assortment of plug adaptors. The set-up sounds quite good overall. Some of the best-known tracks in North America have no hookups of any kind, or have just one central power source.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:24 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by raspritz
We are pretty experienced racetrack RVers. It would be unprepared to not carry both 50A and 30A extension cords and an assortment of plug adaptors. The set-up sounds quite good overall. Some of the best-known tracks in North America have no hookups of any kind, or have just one central power source.
Yes it's pretty well equipped and if you arrive Wed you shouldn't have a problem finding a nice spot. It gets tight when everybody arrives Thursday night though. It always reminds me of a giant Chinese finger puzzle for a few hours until everyone gets settled.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:35 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 181 Posts

Will spectators be allowed, or is it going to be like HPDE where only drivers and “crew” are allowed?
Old 08-27-2020, 09:07 AM
thelittlemrs
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Will spectators be allowed, or is it going to be like HPDE where only drivers and “crew” are allowed?
Only "CREW" will be allowed on site and no one under the age of 18 at all. A link for crew to register in will be sent to all drivers.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:24 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Having never been to summit. Do they have noise limits? I usually keep my muffler in the trailer “ just in case”
Old 08-27-2020, 03:42 PM
smf32s
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Having never been to summit. Do they have noise limits? I usually keep my muffler in the trailer “ just in case”
Take it from me, you're fine but bring it just in case. I have the loudest car there and I've not had a problem for a while. They use to love to screw with me.

Stu
Old 08-27-2020, 06:23 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPA951s
The sound of your car will be drowned out by the sound of gun fire coming from next door.

When the cars aren't running it sometimes sounds like there is a peaceful protest going on next door.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:42 PM
Speeds5
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 91 Posts

So what you're saying is, deers are not the only thing i need to worry about coming at me on track? I gotta worry about bullets too?!?!?

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The sound of your car will be drowned out by the sound of gun fire coming from next door.

When the cars aren't running it sometimes sounds like there is a peaceful protest going on next door.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:48 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 602 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Speeds5
So what you're saying is, deers are not the only thing i need to worry about coming at me on track? I gotta worry about bullets too?!?!?
When in West Virginia....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 08-27-2020, 11:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Make sure to stay in West Virginia as Virginia is a Covid-19 no no state which means you have to quarantine (or should) when you get home.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Is the deer and other critter fencing up all around the main track now? Have there been sightings of any trapped inside? Just curious because SP Main is one of my favourite tracks!

Quick Reply: 2020 ROCK the SUMMIT PCA Club Race Sept 18-20