Sponsored by:

Track Event Cancellation Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 09:44 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Yep, Chin just cancelled another without offering refunds... I hate to say it but their business model means they are off the list of groups I will ever run with which is a shame b/c they are a good organization but I'm not giving my $ to someone who has now repeatedly demonstrated they will happily keep it if there event gets cancelled. How much $$$ have they held from people now? Just the last 3 events with 50 people per event at $800 p/p would be $40K per event or $120K... Even if you factor in track deposits it's time to give people their money back.
I'm in the same boat, Paul. I now have a bunch of credit with Chin due to these cancellations. However, I plan to use it in upcoming events and I have faith that the funds are not being mismanaged, which is key. I have confidence in the Chin staff.

I guess if you don't ever plan to do (or can't do) an event with them in the future, that's a different story.

I'm more disappointed with NASCAR and why they would cancel these events when there is no scientific basis for doing so. To only allow non-broadcast HPDE events to take place after May 18 makes no sense. If you look at the roster, you see that all those drivers from Sat/Sun would really help out the people of Sebring - track / hotels / restaurants / etc. I guess NASCAR is doing great financially and doesn't need the economic stimulus.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:53 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Yep, Chin just cancelled another without offering refunds... I hate to say it but their business model means they are off the list of groups I will ever run with which is a shame b/c they are a good organization but I'm not giving my $ to someone who has now repeatedly demonstrated they will happily keep it if there event gets cancelled. How much $$$ have they held from people now? Just the last 3 events with 50 people per event at $800 p/p would be $40K per event or $120K... Even if you factor in track deposits it's time to give people their money back.
I like ruining with Chin, but I do agree with you. Not a great way to handle your customers $$.

Their refund policy actually surprises me. Wouldn't expect that from Chin, but they seem to have made their bed, so.........
Old 05-01-2020, 09:54 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Sent Chin a note requesting if partial refund was an option as it's going to be over a year before I get to a Chin event. I think it's reasonable to give partial credit for track deposits but I think most people would like the security of a few extra dollars in their account right now with 30M people being laid off....
Old 05-01-2020, 09:58 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Chicago Region RADE 2020 over Memorial Day Weekend now canceled.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:08 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I don't understand how tracks were able to hold on to Chin's money if the tracks were closed.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:17 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I don't understand how tracks were able to hold on to Chin's money if the tracks were closed.
Some may have allowed them to move their deposit to another weekend if available but there are others in the NE they aren't even coming back to this year so they absolutely got their money back...
The following users liked this post:
dgrobs (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 10:27 AM
tneocli
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

We can always play golf! Golf is open of course because all the big buck important individuals play. Can’t keep that closed.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:36 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 744 Likes on 366 Posts

I think I can KINDA understand the stance by CHIN, but I'm only guessing here. I've never run with them so again, just speculation.
CHIN is a for profit organization, PCA is not. CHIN has expenses like paying personnel, equipment costs, possible outstanding loans and debt, etc. So its quite possibly a cashflow issue.
Maybe...???

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-01-2020, 11:35 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
I'm in the same boat, Paul. I now have a bunch of credit with Chin due to these cancellations. However, I plan to use it in upcoming events and I have faith that the funds are not being mismanaged, which is key. I have confidence in the Chin staff.

I guess if you don't ever plan to do (or can't do) an event with them in the future, that's a different story.
That's the problem..., sometimes life or schedules change such that you may not have the opportunity to attend another of their events. They've got your money for a future you cannot foresee or control.
Old 05-01-2020, 11:47 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tneocli
We can always play golf! Golf is open of course because all the big buck important individuals play. Can’t keep that closed.
Men with golf *****, golf. Men with real *****, Race.

I don't play and rarely watch golf, but I honestly could not believe they canceled the US Open due to COVID-19. Obviously they couldn't allow spectators, but self-distancing is so easy on the course for they players, and the tournament would still reap major $$ from televised advertisement.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:09 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
I don't play and rarely watch golf, but I honestly could not believe they canceled the US Open due to COVID-19. Obviously they couldn't allow spectators, but self-distancing is so easy on the course for they players, and the tournament would still reap major $$ from televised advertisement.
Not to mention it is outside in the sun ... kind of like us.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:14 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,496 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
Not to mention it is outside in the sun ... kind of like us.
Would be weird to see sports without an on-site audience, but maybe it's better than nothing. I'm selfishly bummed that I won't be able to watch the Olympics this year.
Old 05-01-2020, 01:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Yep Chin just canceled Sebring May 9/10. Guess I will roll my $$$ over to Chin WG July 1/2. Next up is SCCA TT at CMP May 23/24. One day I will get to use those new tires I got in Jan just hope it’s in 2020.

Peter
Is Chin giving a credit for future events or just keeping the money? Was either policy disclosed in their registration process?

I guess lawyers don't drive with Chin?
Old 05-01-2020, 01:46 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Is Chin giving a credit for future events or just keeping the money? Was either policy disclosed in their registration process?

I guess lawyers don't drive with Chin?
Keeping the money FOR USE as future credits.

So glad I waited to register for these Chin events.

I'd be pretty pissed right now (just on principle) if Chin was holding my money for an event(s) that we don't even know if and when is going to happen.

What's the lawyers take on this Luigi?

Old 05-01-2020, 02:16 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Our next one just bit the dust. From NNJR Chair. End of May event:Considering the existing social distancing and other procedures to prevent the spread of COVID-19,
as well as uncertainties related to the reopening of businesses in New Jersey,
NJMP and NNJR have mutually decided to cancel the May 29-30 DE. at Thunderbolt.
We appreciate those of you who registered.
There have been no charges to credit cards.
Hopefully this current national crisis will soon pass and we can return to some semblance of normal.
In the meantime, we hope that all of you remain healthy and safe, and we look forward to seeing you at future events.

Quick Reply: Track Event Cancellation Information