Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second time HPDE question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:01 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

I had MCS singles on my E36 as well and liked em a lot. Definitely read up on the bimmerforums track forum. That’s where all the knowledgeable e36 guys are.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:53 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

off topic, but couple comments about the E36.
it's been 10 yrs since I raced mine with BMWCCA, back then JRZ and AST coilovers were very popular suspension packages. I had GC advanced design coilovers with 800/900 springs (IIRC).
make sure you do all the necessary chassis reinforcements - https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...forcement-kits
Old 02-16-2020, 11:26 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
off topic, but couple comments about the E36.
it's been 10 yrs since I raced mine with BMWCCA, back then JRZ and AST coilovers were very popular suspension packages. I had GC advanced design coilovers with 800/900 springs (IIRC).
make sure you do all the necessary chassis reinforcements - https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...forcement-kits
thanks for the tip! Thats one really positive thing i can say about myself is i do tons of research about whatever i am doing before i jump in. Chassis reinforcement is 100% on the radar and will be done prior to the suspension being done. Right now a chunk of change is on the horrizon and i have that ear marked for the LS1/T56 purchase so it looks like drive line will be the first focus (after paint and body is done). Everything is going to get done in stages to make sure i focus on getting things done to the best of my ability. The problem i find i finding good info. I wish i could find a E36 for dummies when it comea to the steering, suspension, and brakes. My car is a 325is. Some people sat get M3 parts because they are better. So my confusion is things like when it comes to doing any of these stages, since most likely every component will be changed or modified, do i order parts for an M3 or non M3? This project is expected to take a year (atleast). I am in no rush since of have the 911 to race. Just need to find a good place to get info. I find the BMW forums really lacking compared to what rennlist is for porsche. Here you ask a question and you gets tons a valuable info and several opinion so i can make a decision.

And being off topic is fine. I think i answered my car handling issue this weekend. I took the car to work to swap brake pads and the left front axle boots. While looking around i found the right rear sway bar link tore the mount right off the strut. I'm gonna bet that and low tire pressures had a lot to do with the poor handling compared to the previous hpde.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:29 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

the track forums of bimmerforums is a huge resource - looks like you've already found it. look through the track car builds section and you'll find a large number of E36 builds including mine. I started with a 325is like you.
M3net and grassrootsmotorsports.com are also good places for E36 stuff
Old 02-16-2020, 03:37 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
the track forums of bimmerforums is a huge resource - looks like you've already found it. look through the track car builds section and you'll find a large number of E36 builds including mine. I started with a 325is like you.
M3net and grassrootsmotorsports.com are also good places for E36 stuff
the "track car builds" is the only section of bimmerforums that i found valuable. Whats your handle over there so i can make sure i read your build thread. Thanks for the tip on the other 2 sites. Havent been on those yet
Old 02-16-2020, 03:37 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Bimmerforums literally has everything you could ever want to know if you google search their archives. Was far and away the best e36 resource on the internet until the advent of the book of faces.
I have a SERIOUS parts list from my build you can cross check. My car is a 325i world challenge car so I have been through all of your research. Just message me before you put in a parts order an I would be glad to help you. Send me an email at bavariane39 at gmail dot com if you want my parts list as well.

If you arent in a huge rush you should just buy my racecar already finished! Once the GT3 is ready for track time I am guessing the e36 will get listed......
Old 02-16-2020, 03:51 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Bimmerforums literally has everything you could ever want to know if you google search their archives. Was far and away the best e36 resource on the internet until the advent of the book of faces.
I have a SERIOUS parts list from my build you can cross check. My car is a 325i world challenge car so I have been through all of your research. Just message me before you put in a parts order an I would be glad to help you. Send me an email at bavariane39 at gmail dot com if you want my parts list as well.

If you arent in a huge rush you should just buy my racecar already finished! Once the GT3 is ready for track time I am guessing the e36 will get listed......
guess i am a hoarder. I couldnt see getting rid of the 911 once the bmw is done. I suspect they will be 2 completely different driving experiences. Def will send you am email for the list. I like to build car. I have restored a few older Z28's and built a pro touring style monte carlo with an LS. I could never imagin buying.....the build is what makes it fun.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:34 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
I could never imagin buying.....the build is what makes it fun.
man I'm right there with you. I love tinkering in the garage as much as driving my cars.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ck-car-buildup a lot of the pics are probably gone now since I haven't used photobucket in years
Old 02-16-2020, 11:11 PM
Daweil
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
So i now have 2 HPDE events under my belt. Both at Roebling Road.

My first was on stock Michelin PS2's with -1.5 degrees of camber all around. It was a blast. I was doing so well my instructor moved me from the green run group to blue after the first session. It felt great and the car just felt smooth. Only down side was i trashed a new set of tires (completely bald on the outside - even the sidewalls) due to lack of camber....
In my opinion, the camber changes altered how the car handled. It's hard to compare how the car handled with street tires with OEM camber specs with R-compound tires on more negative cambers. That's why i think in a previous discussion, R-compound tires are not recommended for just getting into DEs. https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...oyo-r888r.html It sounds like the car was thrown around and let the PSAM and the tires do the job rather than to drive smoothly like a momentum car.

Quick Reply: Second time HPDE question