Sponsored by:

Second time HPDE question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 03:49 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
thats what i was assuming as well. At one point i thought of turning PSM off. Then my brain took over and i thought that may be a little more advanced than what i am ready for.
I left the "TC" turned on in my Boxster for the first couple of years myself It took me quite some time before I felt like it was holding me back, and then a little more time before I was ready to turn it off.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:53 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I was at this event and in Blue Group Solo in a black E36 M3 with a wing on the back, #717...you might have seen me. I'm pretty sure I recognize your car. I run Nittos and my hot target is almost always 35 pounds and I'm noticeably lighter than you so I believe you were way under inflated. I concur that it may not have been the wisest thing to go straight to an R comp after one event but you are on them now so is what it is. I would really recommend that you concentrate on hitting your marks perfectly...braking, apex, track out...perfectly. Focus on keeping your head up and eyes down the track just a little further than feels comfortable and put the timer away the whole first day. Also, focus on smoothness and subtle inputs. Master these and the times will drop like a rock. Oh...and leave the nannies on. All just my 2 cents worth...YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
steveP911 (01-22-2022)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I think the Apex Pro is a good tool. There is a lot of information collected by that device available in the new app that will help you progress. I think the consistency of your times is VERY good and your apex score is pretty good. I do think the big change down in tire pressures is a significant issue. Personally, I don't see the issue with going to R-comps. You do need to work on the rate of input of your control inputs, particularly throttle, to smooth out and lessen the triggering of the nannies. It's quite likely, based on your APEX map, that you are steady state, then whacking throttle when you realize consciously or subconsciously that you can, and it triggers. Great stuff so far! You're thinking very well about this discipline. Good luck! Headed there next weekend.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 02-10-2020, 05:19 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
I was at this event and in Blue Group Solo in a black E36 M3 with a wing on the back, #717...you might have seen me. I'm pretty sure I recognize your car. I run Nittos and my hot target is almost always 35 pounds and I'm noticeably lighter than you so I believe you were way under inflated. I concur that it may not have been the wisest thing to go straight to an R comp after one event but you are on them now so is what it is. I would really recommend that you concentrate on hitting your marks perfectly...braking, apex, track out...perfectly. Focus on keeping your head up and eyes down the track just a little further than feels comfortable and put the timer away the whole first day. Also, focus on smoothness and subtle inputs. Master these and the times will drop like a rock. Oh...and leave the nannies on. All just my 2 cents worth...YMMV.
i was in the same run group as you. I 100% saw your car. That thing is damn nice. I am at the early stages of building an E36 that i just picked up in december. A few times you were parked very close to us over near turn 3. Every time i went over to take a peak for build inspiration your car was gone.

Thanks for the advice. I think i am trying too hard and am throwing the car around the track rather than being graceful. I'm sure my car being a heavy fat *** wide body cabrio is no help either. Some people have even mentioned pressures as high as 37 hot. I think at sebring i will start at 35 hot and see what happens.

My E36 in december

A few weeks ago

As of the moment - almost ready to be painted Laguana Secca Blue

Old 02-10-2020, 05:26 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Personally, I say you made the switch to NT01s too quickly. You are very new to this hobby and are trying to take in a GOB of information (forums, instructors, car feedback, etc). By tweaking car setup, you are introducing a multitude of variables that you (or I) are not ready to process. You have enough to worry about with your car control abilities, no need to worry about car setup to minimize laptimes or speed at getting solo'ed (not that that was your intent).

Spend your money focused on safety and reliability, and try your best to keep the cars setup the same until you are MUCH more advanced. Also, keep in mind that even though the instructor is a more experienced driver, they are not in your seat and cant FEEL what you feel. Many of them have the best intentions but give advice on car setup that may not be specific to your car or driving style. Take all the advice you can get but be deliberate before acting on it to prevent you from taking two steps back in your progression or wasting money and valuable resources better spent elsewhere.

I have BEEN THERE and spent way too much time modifying car setup while my driving abilities stayed flat or declined between events. Be patient and enjoy the hobby as an outlet to have fun while learning car control. Laptimes are of NO importance compared to spending time learning your car and its feel at the limit. The better you can learn to feel and make incremental and repetitive adjustments, the lower your laptimes will be and the quicker you will advance as a student.

Spend much more time taking notes after each session than reviewing data IMO.
The following users liked this post:
steveP911 (01-22-2022)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:28 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I think the Apex Pro is a good tool. There is a lot of information collected by that device available in the new app that will help you progress. I think the consistency of your times is VERY good and your apex score is pretty good. I do think the big change down in tire pressures is a significant issue. Personally, I don't see the issue with going to R-comps. You do need to work on the rate of input of your control inputs, particularly throttle, to smooth out and lessen the triggering of the nannies. It's quite likely, based on your APEX map, that you are steady state, then whacking throttle when you realize consciously or subconsciously that you can, and it triggers. Great stuff so far! You're thinking very well about this discipline. Good luck! Headed there next weekend.
thanks for the input. Funny though. You sound exactly like both of my previous instructors. My last one was very intersted in the Apex device. Thats why when i saw one listed for sale used here for about $100 off of retail i couldnt say no. I think i need to understand the app a little better though. I am seeing all green in most of the turns. No reds. I see a little mostly before a turn or two. I need to sit down and watch some of the tutorials on it i guess. There is now way in hell i am using all the available grip like it shows.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:31 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

Those who have posted are far more experienced and knowledgable than myself, but my first question would be when they did your camber, was toe adjusted appropriately?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:36 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Personally, I say you made the switch to NT01s too quickly. You are very new to this hobby and are trying to take in a GOB of information (forums, instructors, car feedback, etc). By tweaking car setup, you are introducing a multitude of variables that you (or I) are not ready to process. You have enough to worry about with your car control abilities, no need to worry about car setup to minimize laptimes or speed at getting solo'ed (not that that was your intent).

Spend your money focused on safety and reliability, and try your best to keep the cars setup the same until you are MUCH more advanced. Also, keep in mind that even though the instructor is a more experienced driver, they are not in your seat and cant FEEL what you feel. Many of them have the best intentions but give advice on car setup that may not be specific to your car or driving style. Take all the advice you can get but be deliberate before acting on it to prevent you from taking two steps back in your progression or wasting money and valuable resources better spent elsewhere.

I have BEEN THERE and spent way too much time modifying car setup while my driving abilities stayed flat or declined between events. Be patient and enjoy the hobby as an outlet to have fun while learning car control. Laptimes are of NO importance compared to spending time learning your car and its feel at the limit. The better you can learn to feel and make incremental and repetitive adjustments, the lower your laptimes will be and the quicker you will advance as a student.

Spend much more time taking notes after each session than reviewing data IMO.
thanks for the input. I think i need to be clear about a couple points though. I never made a car adjustments to go faster. I changed the setup so i wasnt destroying a brand new set of tires every time i hit the track. Also as i stated in a previous post..... i got the apex pro device to show me what i am doing wrong in the corners. Not the lap times. I dont care about lap times. I 100% understand that faster lap times comes with better handling of the corners. I get going fast in a straight line is easy. But the turns is where its all at. That is the SOLE reason i got the Apex Pro.

at this stage i have no intentions of making any further adjustments. The tire wear was exactly what i wanted. Now its time to fix the driver.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:37 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTT
Those who have posted are far more experienced and knowledgable than myself, but my first question would be when they did your camber, was toe adjusted appropriately?
yes. When i fixed the camber issue, caster and toe were corrected.

edit : Although i do plan on putting back on the rack to make sure everything stayed the same.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:41 PM
anthony42hat
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

i was in the same run group as you. I 100% saw your car. That thing is damn nice. I am at the early stages of building an E36 that i just picked up in december. A few times you were parked very close to us over near turn 3. Every time i went over to take a peak for build inspiration your car was gone.

Thanks for the advice. I think i am trying too hard and am throwing the car around the track rather than being graceful. I'm sure my car being a heavy fat *** wide body cabrio is no help either. Some people have even mentioned pressures as high as 37 hot. I think at sebring i will start at 35 hot and see what happens.

My E36 in december

A few weeks ago

As of the moment - almost ready to be painted Laguana Secca Blue
I'm sorry I missed you. I parked there a couple of times to go to the classroom. If you are looking for any input as you build up your E36 just let me know. I'm no expert but I know what is in my car (I didn't build it) and I know it works!

I think OleMiss has some good advice. It's early to be doing a bunch of mods and it helps to have a baseline so you can build your skills. Leave the car alone for now and work on you...that car is very capable as it sits and you are not remotely close to driving it to it's potential. Put in the seat time, hone your skills and it will really pay off down the road. I remember my second DE event...was at VIR. I had a great first event and made great progress so of course, 8 months later I go back and I'm going to tear the track up. I was horrible. Over driving the car all over the track, abrupt inputs, zero smoothness. I literally had to take a step or two back and refresh what I had learned the first event before I could start building on that. The whole first day ended up being dedicated to that so I could progress on the second day. Skip a bunch of steps and it will bite you in the butt at some point. Best of luck and most importantly...have fun!!
Old 02-10-2020, 05:47 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

yes. When i fixed the camber issue, caster and toe were corrected.

edit : Although i do plan on putting back on the rack to make sure everything stayed the same.
Sorry for the simplistic question, but I learned last year the effect of adding significant camber, its effect on toe and how the car feels until matched.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:50 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anthony42hat
I'm sorry I missed you. I parked there a couple of times to go to the classroom. If you are looking for any input as you build up your E36 just let me know. I'm no expert but I know what is in my car (I didn't build it) and I know it works!

I think OleMiss has some good advice. It's early to be doing a bunch of mods and it helps to have a baseline so you can build your skills. Leave the car alone for now and work on you...that car is very capable as it sits and you are not remotely close to driving it to it's potential. Put in the seat time, hone your skills and it will really pay off down the road. I remember my second DE event...was at VIR. I had a great first event and made great progress so of course, 8 months later I go back and I'm going to tear the track up. I was horrible. Over driving the car all over the track, abrupt inputs, zero smoothness. I literally had to take a step or two back and refresh what I had learned the first event before I could start building on that. The whole first day ended up being dedicated to that so I could progress on the second day. Skip a bunch of steps and it will bite you in the butt at some point. Best of luck and most importantly...have fun!!
most of my E36 curiousity is steering, suspension, brakes and interior - as in seat mounting and wiring. My build will be a LS1/T56 swap, that stuff is simple. But at the moment the focus is on the paint and body. I plan to do every single part of this build. Hopefull it will be ready for Roebling feb 2021 (and i will be too).

I agree with what everyone has said on this thread. Everyone seems to be on the same page except the R compounds. That debate looks to be split.

Time to start studying. Been watching a bunch of youtube videos on the Driver 61 channel. Hopefully watching tons of thoses educational videos and watching some in car videos at Sebring will help me be ready next month.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:53 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTT
Sorry for the simplistic question, but I learned last year the effect of adding significant camber, its effect on toe and how the car feels until matched.
very very true. Before i made the adjustments i consulted with a few guys on the 996 turbo forum who track the crap out of their cars. They all had the same advice on alignment specs. Other than camber, the suggestions pretty much matched factory. Took a bit to make it all work. But it was perfect when it was on the rack. Going to take it to work tomorrow. If i have time i will recheck to make sure its all good.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:00 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Time to start studying. Been watching a bunch of youtube videos on the Driver 61 channel. Hopefully watching tons of those educational videos and watching some in car videos at Sebring will help me be ready next month.
Scott Mansell (Driver 61) is great. Dion von Moltke at Racers360 isn't bad, either.

For some of the best Sebring prep, Ross Bentley's Virtual Track Walks are incredibly valuable, with hundreds of THAT track presentation already sold (out of the twenty or so tracks available).

Fifth up from the bottom of the page. https://speedsecrets.com/virtual-track-walks/
Old 02-10-2020, 07:56 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

most of my E36 curiousity is steering, suspension, brakes and interior - as in seat mounting and wiring. My build will be a LS1/T56 swap, that stuff is simple. But at the moment the focus is on the paint and body. I plan to do every single part of this build. Hopefull it will be ready for Roebling feb 2021 (and i will be too).

I agree with what everyone has said on this thread. Everyone seems to be on the same page except the R compounds. That debate looks to be split.

Time to start studying. Been watching a bunch of youtube videos on the Driver 61 channel. Hopefully watching tons of thoses educational videos and watching some in car videos at Sebring will help me be ready next month.
Message me if you need any ideas or thoughts on your build. Been 2 years since I completed my 400whp e36 ls1 racecar and it has been DEAD reliable.

Quick Reply: Second time HPDE question