Sponsored by:

Do lap timers encourage bad behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ABusLux
Same group as usual? Perhaps it's not a matter of having insurance or not, but a problem with the members in that specific group.
Well, people want to go fast. The groups that are prone to have more incidents are the ones that have people who are going extremely fast. There is obviously a demand for that because those groups sell out the fastest. (and the people in those groups do have track insurance)

One fairly safe group that I track with. Organized by David Rey with Hooked on driving. Hardly any incidents (David is quite proud of this); it takes a while to sell out and sometimes it doesn't. He once asked the open passing group; "How many here have track insurance"... I don't think one person put up their hand.

i get the sense that most people here track with PCA or Porsche affiliated clubs. I'm sure that those of you who are instructors have probably seen the video of an instructor strongly admonishing a driver in a green gt3rs after he asked for a ride along to observe his driving at Thunderhill Raceway (video has since been taken down). The instructor really let the driver have it (said something along the lines that he was going to kill himself). I happen to track with that gt3rs driver. It lead me to conclude that Porsche events are very gentlemen like driving events and heavily regulated. Perhaps that is why there is a disconnect fro the other posters in this thread.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:24 AM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 218 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Never was, it's idiotic and you have no data to back up your BS claim, just go the f&^% away.
Thank you for your informed opinion. I guess you wanted to participate in this discussion and had absolutely nothing to add other then this comment. I guess some times people just want to say something for the sake of saying something.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:10 AM
RobertR1
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Well, people want to go fast. The groups that are prone to have more incidents are the ones that have people who are going extremely fast. There is obviously a demand for that because those groups sell out the fastest. (and the people in those groups do have track insurance)

One fairly safe group that I track with. Organized by David Rey with Hooked on driving. Hardly any incidents (David is quite proud of this); it takes a while to sell out and sometimes it doesn't. He once asked the open passing group; "How many here have track insurance"... I don't think one person put up their hand.

i get the sense that most people here track with PCA or Porsche affiliated clubs. I'm sure that those of you who are instructors have probably seen the video of an instructor strongly admonishing a driver in a green gt3rs after he asked for a ride along to observe his driving at Thunderhill Raceway (video has since been taken down). The instructor really let the driver have it (said something along the lines that he was going to kill himself). I happen to track with that gt3rs driver. It lead me to conclude that Porsche events are very gentlemen like driving events and heavily regulated. Perhaps that is why there is a disconnect fro the other posters in this thread.
Sounds like another SpeedSF ****show based on the stats you shared earlier. I ran with those guys one or twice a couple of years ago before I moved. They were still in the infancy of forming the "Bay Area Bro Racers Club" but seems like they're succeeding on that front.

Letting people and frankly encouraging people who can't hit an apex to go rent some laptimers for a day is HORRIBLE IDEA. Worst yet, they can even compete in a "speedsf challenge" to really get their Bro Points up! That mentality and encouragement has nothing to do with track insurance.

I'm hopeful track insurance companies actually catch on what's happening and either don't allow policies for their events or charge a notable premium. It ruins the concepts of track insurance for those putting on safety oriented events and taking pride in people going home with cars intact.

Last edited by RobertR1; 06-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

Thank you for your informed opinion. I guess you wanted to participate in this discussion and had absolutely nothing to add other then this comment. I guess some times people just want to say something for the sake of saying something.
Discussion? "DO LAP TIMERS ENCOURAGE BAD BEHAVIOR" is the discussion, you have turned it into something quite different and it's obviously YOU that "just want to say something for the sake of saying something" champ...
Old 06-19-2019, 09:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Excuse me, but this is simply a fallacy. Many people who go to amateur track events "want to go fast". Some of these people are reckless ********, most are not. This is NOT organization-dependent. Most organizations don't tolerate the former. Apparently yours does. Again, perhaps you should run with a group that doesn't.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,499 Likes on 2,561 Posts

Your use of the phrase "extremely fast" suggests a lack of understanding of this sport. Every car has a limit as far as its lap time on a given track, and no one can drive it faster than that limit. On equal tires, the limit of a GT3 will generally be much faster than a Miata. If you see a GT3 lapping faster than a Miata at a track, the Miata may not appear to be going "extremely fast", but the driver of the Miata could be a pro driving the car near its limit, while the GT3 is being driven by an amateur well below its limit, despite the GT3 appearing to be going "extremely fast" compared to the Miata.

Talking about going "extremely fast" at a track day is meaningless. What matters is learning to work towards the limits of the car, however fast or slow that may be. Or you could just drive expensive and "extremely fast" cars to give the appearance of being a skilled driver.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Never was, it's idiotic and you have no data to back up your BS claim, just go the f&^% away.
Although I was going to vote the gummi worm the most helpful post in this thread I believe Gary sums it up nicely.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:45 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Although I was going to vote the gummi worm the most helpful post in this thread I believe Gary sums it up nicely.
Dammit! I should have gotten forum insurance so I could have forumed harder and gotten that win.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:24 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,307 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Well, people want to go fast. The groups that are prone to have more incidents are the ones that have people who are going extremely fast.
Umm, that's about the most clueless post I've seen recently.

Fast is relative. I work with people that run ten to thirteen seconds a lap faster in GT cars than the "extremely fast" times you've posted as an example in your "group" for WLSR.

And they don't crash...

You need to get out more...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-19-2019, 11:27 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I like gummy worms.....
Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Dammit! I should have gotten forum insurance so I could have forumed harder and gotten that win.
I would think that $12 rotors would allow you enough $$ left over to purchase forum insurance, yes?
Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I would think that $12 rotors would allow you enough $$ left over to purchase forum insurance, yes?
Unfortunately, the forum I forum with is so aggressive and had so many incidents (looking at you Coochas) that forum insurance is no longer available for the forum I forum with. Just more evidence of the fact that forum insurance has caused the aggression currently in the non-insurable forum I forum with.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Unfortunately, the forum I forum with is so aggressive and had so many incidents (looking at you Coochas) that forum insurance is no longer available for the forum I forum with. Just more evidence of the fact that forum insurance has caused the aggression currently in the non-insurable forum I forum with.
Yeah, that Coochas guy is killing us with the forum premiums these days.

I was using Lockforum and OnForum, but I'm gonna switch over to OpenForum Insurance as they let you post in unlimited forums for one annual fee....
Old 06-19-2019, 12:43 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,394 Likes on 1,930 Posts

I'd rather debate the gummy worm.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Replacing the words "extremely fast" with "flat out" makes it more clear.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Do lap timers encourage bad behavior?