Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 01:23 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ABusLux
It's been a great race; lots of overtaking, accidents, exciting battles, and even an unexpected winner seeing how things were with 90% of the race behind.

What? F1? No, no, I'm talking about the 24 hours of Nürburgring. What a race!

I like Castellet a lot, but this has been a(nother) boring F1 race. There hasn’t been much public either (no wonder; the French Motorsport fans have just spent their annual racing budget on the much more exciting Le Mans race), so I don’t see a very bright future for the French GP.
Ha! great post!

At least we have an Indy road course race now, seeing a pass is going to be great!
Old 06-23-2019, 02:03 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I worked in front of my lap top and looked up when the announcers voices get shrill.

Don't know how Danny Ric will hold onto his position as he was clearly over the track limits with Norris and has no excuse for when he passed Kimi.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:05 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I worked in front of my lap top and looked up when the announcers voices get shrill.

Don't know how Danny Ric will hold onto his position as he was clearly over the track limits with Norris and has no excuse for when he passed Kimi.
Announcer: He did not!

10 seconds in penalties and dropped to 11th.

Saved Gasly from a non points performance but he's been dismal. Summer break replacement? Kvyat gets another shot maybe?
Old 06-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 204 Posts

Yup, two penalties so he went from 7th to 11th.

I WAS SEVENTH !!!

I WAS SEVENTH !!!

I WAS SEVENTH !!!
The following users liked this post:
seanseidman (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:24 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Yep, that was pretty boring.

Bottas and Vettel need to get demoted to lesser cars. Time for Gasly to go; maybe Grossjean too. Verstappen needs to be in the Merc or Ferrari. Ocon needs a seat in a good car. Stroll is unlikable because he's a rich kid, dry during interviews, displaced Ocon, and an averagish F1 driver.

I'm contemplating abandoning watching F1 and just sticking to watching tennis.
seanseidman (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 04:34 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Bottas and Vettel need to get demoted to lesser cars. Time for Gasly to go; maybe Grossjean too. Verstappen needs to be in the Merc or Ferrari. Ocon needs a seat in a good car. Stroll is unlikable because he's a rich kid, dry during interviews, displaced Ocon, and an averagish F1 driver.

Max is stuck with Lewis being the #1 at Merc and Ocon looking for VB's seat. VER could go to Ferrari but they already have a young phenom... VER/LeClerc would be great for Ferrari. Norris and George Russel should both be at RB but Albon has been pretty good.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Yup, two penalties so he went from 7th to 11th.

I WAS SEVENTH !!!

I WAS SEVENTH !!!

I WAS SEVENTH !!!
You should find his twitter feed and post that video. I am sure he would appreciate it!
Old 06-23-2019, 04:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

You should find his twitter feed and post that video. I am sure he would appreciate it!
I’m a RIC fanboy. Can’t do it.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:19 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

I've stopped watching and can report that the "dark side" (not watching F1) is pretty good and that I've had a very nice weekend. Granted, the Nurburgring 24 was streamable but it's okay to not give F1 your views. I looked at one of the F1 websites and almost half the people rated the race a 4 out of 10 or better!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wimbledon is coming just in time!
Manifold (06-26-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Does anyone think that Hamilton wouldn’t be a contender if he were in the #5 Ferrari? Even if the ‘concept’ at Ferrari is wrong this season, I have to believe that the man behind the wheel is the bigger problem in the #5. I somehow believe that Hamilton snatches a few poles and podiums if he were in the Ferrari today.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Akunob
Does anyone think that Hamilton wouldn’t be a contender if he were in the #5 Ferrari? Even if the ‘concept’ at Ferrari is wrong this season, I have to believe that the man behind the wheel is the bigger problem in the #5. I somehow believe that Hamilton snatches a few poles and podiums if he were in the Ferrari today.
I think he’d do about the same as VET.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Akunob
Originally Posted by Coochas
I think he’d do about the same as VET.
Hamilton has, either to his credit or just plain luck, made some good moves in his career. He jumped out of McLaren into Mercedes when it looked crazy and look how that turned out. Almost the complete opposite of Alonso who easily could have as many WCs as Hamilton if he made similar moves.

For all his bitching, Alonso really tried to throw the Honda engined McLaren around the track and do his best. Vettel is in a similar circumstance, although not nearly as far down the order as McLaren was, and he is still fighting. (Although bitching a little more!)

I think Hammy would fall to pieces under similar circumstances. If he were at Ferrari right now, and constantly fighting for a podium instead of the win, I think it would crush him. He is a great driver when on top but I believe he falls to pieces if he doesn't have the best machinery on the grid.

The Formula is going to change in 2021 and it will be interesting to see who ends up where when that happens.

I would love for Renault to become more competitive and see Hulkenberg on the podium. I'm hoping for that this year if they get lucky!
Old 06-23-2019, 09:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't buy your assessment of Hamilton's driving ability. Last year he clearly stole 2 races from Ferrari by driving better than a superior car. Silverstone in the rain he forced Vettel into a mistake while coming up hard from behind. Monza he simply bullied his way around Vettel again and also passed Kimster to steal the Ferrari home race. The Italian news headline called him "Schumultin" He's good and definitely has the team and car to walk away with the WC . His rain races have always showed him to excell, which is a sign of driver ability more than car. I wish Ferrari would get their crap together to make it interesting at least and please give Red Bull 50 more whp.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Hamilton has, either to his credit or just plain luck, made some good moves in his career. He jumped out of McLaren into Mercedes when it looked crazy and look how that turned out. Almost the complete opposite of Alonso who easily could have as many WCs as Hamilton if he made similar moves.

For all his bitching, Alonso really tried to throw the Honda engined McLaren around the track and do his best. Vettel is in a similar circumstance, although not nearly as far down the order as McLaren was, and he is still fighting. (Although bitching a little more!)

I think Hammy would fall to pieces under similar circumstances. If he were at Ferrari right now, and constantly fighting for a podium instead of the win, I think it would crush him. He is a great driver when on top but I believe he falls to pieces if he doesn't have the best machinery on the grid.

The Formula is going to change in 2021 and it will be interesting to see who ends up where when that happens.

I would love for Renault to become more competitive and see Hulkenberg on the podium. I'm hoping for that this year if they get lucky!
Really?! I doubt Hamilton ‘falls to pieces’, he’s faced challenges in the past and has shown the ability to take it all in stride. He’s just utterly dominant right now. I said the above about Hamilton in the #5 because of how well LeClerc is handling the identical sister car to Vettel’s. Hamilton is clearly a much better driver than LeClerc so I have to believe he does much better in the Ferrari, which would put the Ferrari in contention with Hamilton behind the wheel.

It’s said that a driver’s greatness isn’t ever fully appreciated while they are active but once they hang it up and history takes a measure of their accomplishments, it truly gets the respect it deserves. Just saying that Hamilton could likely drive the #5 Ferrari much better than Vettel currently is.

Quick Reply: Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes