Massive crash at Laguna tody?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Just donated as well.
Everyone should consider making a donation no matter how small.
+1 ..and doing it with our deepest tought

Turn 8, near the place of the Flagman must have a memorial, we should thing about that
Old 10-20-2018, 11:12 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you all for your support. One day left. After that you can donate directly to SCRAMP's fund for Richard's family.
Sincerely,
VID
Old 10-21-2018, 02:54 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO

Sorry, VERY SORRY, ..but I FULLY disagree with you.

For my eyes, PCA is the worse organization for track days in the Bay area.
Beside the context here of the tragedy of Sunday, an engine blow up, ..or water pipes blowing up that could happen to ALL and ANY organizers.
I'm (still, but probably not for long) a member of PCA (with more than one P car !), and consider that PCA rules becomes just crazy and full of non sense.
Exactly like I'm convinced that : too much admin kills democracy.

Why I do NOT like the PCA track days :
. it sucks: too many people, a lot of green horns, ..to end up with 4 or 5 groups per day.
If all goes well, you are on track for 4 sessions per day !
Tell me why PCA track days are overcrowded, ..but when PCA organize "fun run", than max of cars is set ?
(Only one explanation ,: more car on track = more profit)
. not counting that these "too many people" spend the (track) day walking around the cars with the nose very up, in brand new unused nomex and brand new shoes with the word Porsche stitched on all possible visible place. (Looks more like a fashion day than a sport track day.)
. and more specifically, for me, as I removed my top (boxster) to have a 6 point roll bar, I have been asked (by pca rules) to have arm restraints, which, I do not want too. (Note that I use Hans since some years, so, safety I care..), but, writing rules where open roof requires arm restraints when a super thin skin hardtop or a convertible roof is fine, ..is pure B.S. for me.
(btw, I still have not understood how you can (in a gentleman manner) "point to pass" ..with arm restraints !)

These above points makes me completely avoiding pca track days, and makes me thinking that I should seriously consider to quit this club of "tourist".

I know that many of you here have strong connections with this club, (i.e. "instructors", and other doing business with this club, but still consider that I have free speech rights to express my opinion here.

To be back about organizers, I would like to strongly support ETD and mention, to have been with them last Sunday, but also the other times ETD been in LS this year, it is a very high end and high quality organizer.

Now, if for some you you, filing a form in which you engage yourself and sign that your car has for example no leak, means nothing for you, then I'm not going to write what I do think about you, and this simply to stay polite.
If you need to get the same paper from a shop, it looks to me that you are not at the age ..to drive a car. (Behaving like a child, to be accurate)

Now, if you think that a car can NEVER have a catastrophic engine blow out, I can only suppose, ..that you have to buy a bike (with pedals, not engine) and ride it slowly.

It was a tragedy last Sunday, I'm still under the shock, and I'm still very sad and continue to think deeply about it.

You lost me at the end there - are you saying that if I can’t tech my own car, I shouldn’t be able to drive on the track? I think that’s making a lot of assumptions...

For example, I live in an apartment complex with a single communal parking garage and don’t have the proper facilities to check over my car before a track event. I probably could self-tech in the garage with my jack and a flashlight, and with my newer car, 90% of the time, it’ll just work out fine. But that seems a poor replacement for a professional mechanic looking at the car on a lift in a well-lit, climate controlled space.

So I go to the local Porsche dealer who does it for free (or close to it - my experience has varied in different places). For my money/time, I get the peace of mind of knowing somebody else checked over the car (on top of me knowing my own car pretty well). I don’t see how it’s a big imposition to ask that most drivers get an independent tech inspection.

Frankly, I see a professional tech inspection as pretty similar to buying track insurance. On the one hand, it won’t prevent all issues, but it does allow some problems to be caught/mitigated in advance for a small amount of time/money.

Finally, bringing this back to the important point here...RIP to Richard Reins. I never met him, and haven’t driven Lagnua (yet), but I wanted to donate to the CFRA fund as a way to give back - corner workers make this all possible. I hope we do not have to do something like this again for a long time.

Last edited by white924s; 10-21-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:34 AM
acalayag
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO

Sorry, VERY SORRY, ..but I FULLY disagree with you.

For my eyes, PCA is the worse organization for track days in the Bay area.
Beside the context here of the tragedy of Sunday, an engine blow up, ..or water pipes blowing up that could happen to ALL and ANY organizers.
I'm (still, but probably not for long) a member of PCA (with more than one P car !), and consider that PCA rules becomes just crazy and full of non sense.
Exactly like I'm convinced that : too much admin kills democracy.

Why I do NOT like the PCA track days :
. it sucks: too many people, a lot of green horns, ..to end up with 4 or 5 groups per day.
If all goes well, you are on track for 4 sessions per day !
Tell me why PCA track days are overcrowded, ..but when PCA organize "fun run", than max of cars is set ?
(Only one explanation ,: more car on track = more profit)
. not counting that these "too many people" spend the (track) day walking around the cars with the nose very up, in brand new unused nomex and brand new shoes with the word Porsche stitched on all possible visible place. (Looks more like a fashion day than a sport track day.)
. and more specifically, for me, as I removed my top (boxster) to have a 6 point roll bar, I have been asked (by pca rules) to have arm restraints, which, I do not want too. (Note that I use Hans since some years, so, safety I care..), but, writing rules where open roof requires arm restraints when a super thin skin hardtop or a convertible roof is fine, ..is pure B.S. for me.
(btw, I still have not understood how you can (in a gentleman manner) "point to pass" ..with arm restraints !)

These above points makes me completely avoiding pca track days, and makes me thinking that I should seriously consider to quit this club of "tourist".

I know that many of you here have strong connections with this club, (i.e. "instructors", and other doing business with this club, but still consider that I have free speech rights to express my opinion here.

To be back about organizers, I would like to strongly support ETD and mention, to have been with them last Sunday, but also the other times ETD been in LS this year, it is a very high end and high quality organizer.

Now, if for some you you, filing a form in which you engage yourself and sign that your car has for example no leak, means nothing for you, then I'm not going to write what I do think about you, and this simply to stay polite.
If you need to get the same paper from a shop, it looks to me that you are not at the age ..to drive a car. (Behaving like a child, to be accurate)

Now, if you think that a car can NEVER have a catastrophic engine blow out, I can only suppose, ..that you have to buy a bike (with pedals, not engine) and ride it slowly.

It was a tragedy last Sunday, I'm still under the shock, and I'm still very sad and continue to think deeply about it.

“Tell me why PCA track days are overcrowded, ..but when PCA organize "fun run", than max of cars is set ?
(Only one explanation ,: more car on track = more profit)”

Totally agree. I went to one PCA auto-x event that was so overcrowded, they had 4-6 participants working each corner area. One car lost control straight for them while they were busy having a small party. They reacted too late and ran in all directions. Unfortunately one was hit.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:07 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 695 Likes on 337 Posts

The money donated to this cause and family is the best money ever spent in racing.
Rich
Old 10-21-2018, 10:54 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 882 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
The money donated to this cause and family is the best money ever spent in racing.
Rich
Totally agree!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:05 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for sharing the link again, and agree some of the best spent racing funds
Old 10-21-2018, 06:54 PM
seanseidman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Donated
RIP Richard
Old 10-21-2018, 07:07 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Originally Posted by uscarrera
Rich
Yes, I think it is important that we support the community in times like this.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:22 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
+1
Old 10-22-2018, 02:39 AM
hlvg
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Totally agreed.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:14 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Once again, thank you all for your contributions. We just received word that a fellow corner worker would like to contribute to our drive for Richard's family. He/she hoped to have their donation in sometime on Monday. Therefore, we will keep our donation live until Tuesday morning.

If you would like to donate you can do so at the links below:

http://www.cfra.net/web/info/ls_corn..._donation.html

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...=ALAKEFGGEWPR4

Best,
VID
Old 10-22-2018, 12:40 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Done! Always remember to thank the corner workers and buy them a beer when you can. My region invited them to our last couple of bbqs/socials and it's a nice thing to show you appreciate them keeping us safe.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by mbean
Done! Always remember to thank the corner workers and buy them a beer when you can. My region invited them to our last couple of bbqs/socials and it's a nice thing to show you appreciate them keeping us safe.
Yeah, we had them at the BBQ at The Glen this season, right? I remember Terry thanking everyone the next morning. She was a bit emotional and very thankful about it. Loved it!!
Really appreciate the flaggers and corner workers and what they do for us. They really our the "angels" of any given track day.
This tragedy really brings home what they do for us.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:04 PM
matt33
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

+1
Donated.
Terrible tragedy.. may he RIP

Matty

Quick Reply: Massive crash at Laguna tody?