Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Racing & Drivers Education Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum-65/)
-   -   Massive crash at Laguna tody? (https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/1104470-massive-crash-at-laguna-tody.html)

Hatzenbach 10-14-2018 08:50 PM

Massive crash at Laguna tody?

Hi guys, I just heard from a buddy that there was a multi-car crash in Laguna tody during a HPDE event.
It looks like one of the workers got killed.
Does anyone have any details?

ExMB 10-14-2018 09:12 PM

Autsch

Thats not supposed to happen at a HPDE. From the posted LS schedule it was with Exclusive Track Days.

Mahler9th 10-14-2018 09:47 PM

Thoughts and prayers.

CharleyH 10-14-2018 10:22 PM

It is so sad when this happens. My thoughts go out to the friends and family of everyone affected.

Charley

GVA-SFO 10-14-2018 10:38 PM

Yes, extremely sad, a tragedy.
In the first run of the afternoon, in the little uphill straight, between turn 6 and 7, where a 911 turbo had engine trouble and and had a lot of oil leak.
A GT3 did follow and probably near the braking point went on spin and hit the side on the left (near the Flagmen "House").
The flagmen visibly went out to give help the GT3 driver, ..and got hit by another GT3 that did follow.
When I arrived, some 20 or 30 sec later, the flagmen at turn 6 was active with yellow/red flag, so, I did the "6 to 7" climb in low speed to arrive at the entry of the corkscrew that was full of mess, and felt extremely bad when I saw a tennis shoe on the middle of the track at the entry of the CS.
Black flag at the next spot, a very heavy horrible black flag.
Back to pits to learn 10 minutes later what did happen. End, car on trailer, just feeling extremely sad, I love these guys.
Flagmen are our Angels, the flags is the language used to talk to us. Loosing an Angel hurt big time.
With all the very deep thoughts and prayers, was driving home thinking about his family all time.

inverterman 10-14-2018 10:50 PM

My heart goes out to the flag person and family and anyone affected by this. Having raced there so much amateur and pro, it feels like I have lost a teammate. So incredibly sad. :-(

LuigiVampa 10-14-2018 10:50 PM

This is horrible news.

Is there any word on why the corner worker went out onto a hot track? Was the driver of the first GT3 in immediate distress?

Just trying to make sense of this tragedy.

GVA-SFO 10-14-2018 10:54 PM

I think I must add : Yes, ETD, ..or an a very great organization, with excellent and very fast drivers on track (3 small groups).
Always nice people and great attitude.

Just a big engine failure at the wrong place, with lot of oil on track just before the braking point, and few seconds later two fast GT3 arriving. (This was on the “group “A”)

Coochas 10-14-2018 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO (Post 15360792)
Yes, extremely sad, a tragedy.
In the first run of the afternoon, in the little uphill straight, between turn 6 and 7, where a 911 turbo had engine trouble and and had a lot of oil leak.
A GT3 did follow and probably near the braking point went on spin and hit the side on the left (near the Flagmen "House").
The flagmen visibly went out to give help the GT3 driver, ..and got hit by another GT3 that did follow.
When I arrived, some 20 or 30 sec later, the flagmen at turn 6 was active with yellow/red flag, so, I did the "6 to 7" climb in low speed to arrive at the entry of the corkscrew that was full of mess, and felt extremely bad when I saw a tennis shoe on the middle of the track at the entry of the CS.
Black flag at the next spot, a very heavy horrible black flag.
Back to pits to learn 10 minutes later what did happen. End, car on trailer, just feeling extremely sad, I love these guys.
Flagmen are our Angels, the flags is the language used to talk to us. Loosing an Angel hurt big time.
With all the very deep thoughts and prayers, was driving home thinking about his family all time.

Oh my that's horrible news, and I would imagine you are shaken up having a ring side seat to the tragedy.
Very sad indeed.

inverterman 10-14-2018 10:56 PM

"Is there any word on why the corner worker went out onto a hot track? Was the driver of the first GT3 in immediate distress?"

That's a question only the deceased can answer. Perhaps he or she felt the turn 6 corner was in control and felt compelled to help after what they perceived as a risk worth taking.

GVA-SFO 10-14-2018 11:01 PM

I only had a quick glance driving through, the driver (of the first car) was still in his car, but looking OK (I had a hand sign), ..but the car was looking completely destroyed.

Beside the shoe on the middle of the track, I saw nothing that was looking bad, only learnt the tragedy later on the pits.

Matt Romanowski 10-14-2018 11:24 PM

Simply terrible news. My thoughts are with everyone involved and the flagger.

Hatzenbach 10-14-2018 11:43 PM

Was it the corner worker at 7 (who’s up in an elevated position) or the one at 8, who’s behind a concrete barrier?

yesyoucan 10-15-2018 12:09 AM

I was there. I was in the mclaren 720s .

It was the 12:30 PM session and happened on the second lap.

I was the third car in the lead group. On the out lap one of the trailing cars (1991 White RWB) spilled a lot of oil somewhere between 6 and corckscrew.

I was the third car car in a four group lead group and we had separated from eveyone on the second lap. Lucky for everyone behind us that we did as it gave everyone a big enough warning as they approached the area after us. If we were all in a pack then there would have been a lot more carnage then there was.

I had a white GT3 with an aftermarket big wing in front of me. As I was approaching turn 7, I saw the gt3 rear in front of me rotate and then a cloud of smoke and a bang. At literally the same time, a gt3rs behind me lost traction on that same oil and went off the to the left and straight into the wall between 7 and corckscrew.

I lost a bit of traction when I saw the GT3 in front of me rear rotate but I was able to catch it.

As I went into the corckscrew, I saw the corner worker about 10 yards down the tire wall at the turn in face down on the gravel motionless.

A very sad situation. I'm not sure how experienced that corner worker was because in the first session of the day I got a black flag from him and I should have received a meat ball flag due to sound. (He used the wrong flag).

yesyoucan 10-15-2018 12:21 AM

There are only two corner workers that don't sit in an elevated box and stand half way between the concrete barrier and on the track.. The corner worker at 5 and the corner work at 8 behind the concrete barrier.

The deceased corner worker was at Turn 8.