Sponsored by:

Better late than never point-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
This is close to the dumbest thing you have EVER said.. close, but you've done better!
Un-possible

What the actual ****?

Old 10-04-2017, 04:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

This is close to the dumbest thing you have EVER said.. close, but you've done better!
Hey, its my opinion. plenty of times , in a open track event you run up on a slower car, that does that over the roof point by. (or a point by in general) many times they dont know where ill feel safest passing.
however, i always try and take a breath to understand their intentions and if i dont agree.. ill wait and pass where I want to , not where they tell me to. so if you think this id dumb, i would challenge your experience on the track.

The MAIN point, is that with race cars and racing drivers , they dont often see the over the roof point by when they are approaching a street car at a hgh rate of speed. all they see is an arm sticking out the window. its very easy to confuse, and its why in our race coaching classes, we advice, the through the rear window point by for right and right out the window for left point bys.

if you cant see why over the roof point bys can be mis understood or not seen............thats ALL of our problems. so, one man's "dumb" statememt is another mans Saved car!
Old 10-04-2017, 04:37 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

The "accepted" rule in HPDE events is "point in the direction of the upcoming turn." Turn 12 at Road Atlanta is to the right.

I have NEVER seen ANYONE pass on the LEFT at Turn 12...unless they were totally out of control and headed for the tire wall. Granted, the low-slung car may not have seen the point...but ANY driver would have expected the RIGHT-SIDE pass.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm not sure. This might be it.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:43 PM
CrookedCommie
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Hey, its my opinion. plenty of times , in a open track event you run up on a slower car, that does that over the roof point by. (or a point by in general) many times they dont know where ill feel safest passing.
however, i always try and take a breath to understand their intentions and if i dont agree.. ill wait and pass where I want to , not where they tell me to. so if you think this id dumb, i would challenge your experience on the track.

The MAIN point, is that with race cars and racing drivers , they dont often see the over the roof point by when they are approaching a street car at a hgh rate of speed. all they see is an arm sticking out the window. its very easy to confuse, and its why in our race coaching classes, we advice, the through the rear window point by for right and right out the window for left point bys.

if you cant see why over the roof point bys can be mis understood or not seen............thats ALL of our problems. so, one man's "dumb" statememt is another mans Saved car!
Time to brush up on your DE rules... whether it's Chin, BMWCCA, PCA, etc that requires point-by to pass, the car in front controls the pass. If you think that's dumb, you should challange the CDI after you get black flagged.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I was wrong and admit it, THIS ^^^ was even worse... "i'll wait and pass where I want to"??? Holy shat...
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by CrookedCommie
Time to brush up on your DE rules... whether it's Chin, BMWCCA, PCA, etc that requires point-by to pass, the car in front controls the pass. If you think that's dumb, you should challange the CDI after you get black flagged.
Bingo!

Mark, this “race car/race driver” versus “DE car/DE driver,” and the idea that there would be differing rules and procedures for each, is absurd.

Clearly, the DP-02 had no intention of waiting for a point-by, was on a “hot lap” (most likely urged on by the team’s engineer and crew to obtain valuable information that would help them THIS WEEK at the same venue) and was COMMITTED to getting around the camera car using a lane that would be open WHEN he got there. He was not looking for any point-by...WTF?

The idea that you could remotely rationalize such an egregious breach of ACCEPTED protocol, in an event that Mark most likely was VERY clear in detailing the expectations in the morning meeting, is absurd and wrong.

I shudder to think of the carnage and possible injury that might have occurred had the camera car not been SO HEADS UP. I have seen people fly there and was there when Scott Liebler passed away in a car like the DP-02 but without fenders after contact in the same place.

Sheesh...
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PLNewman
The "accepted" rule in HPDE events is "point in the direction of the upcoming turn." Turn 12 at Road Atlanta is to the right.

I have NEVER seen ANYONE pass on the LEFT at Turn 12...unless they were totally out of control and headed for the tire wall. Granted, the low-slung car may not have seen the point...but ANY driver would have expected the RIGHT-SIDE pass.
well, that's where experience comes in. very common to pass before a turn on the outside where the passed car will be moving naturally to the right (inside toward apex of next turn) . I'm sure you are not the first person to be passed on the left there. "you " doesn't equal "any".
most drivers stay on line and let the passing car find his way around, with a point by to assure and give confidence of the awareness.

by the time YOU pointed by, im pretty confident, the driver already knew where he was going to pass you .
Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

well, that's where experience comes in..
Yes, you are quite experienced at ignoring facts and pushing your agenda and are obviously in your own little world.... and you just don't get it do you?? No POINT, no PASS, NO CHOICE OF SIDE.. it's a friggin DE!!! You do know all those cars giving you the finger up through their sunroof don't mean "pass on either side", right?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:26 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CrookedCommie
I stand corrected if that was a "point by " ruled group. i just assumed it was a point by in an open passing group.

I was wrong and admit it, THIS ^^^ was even worse... "i'll wait and pass where I want to"??? Holy shat...
yes, if it is open passing, im not going to use the judgement of a slower, less experieneced car /racer to tell me where to pass.. I have seen that end up bad in many cases . havent you heard, "oh, but he pointed me by" thats advisary in most cases, now, if you have strict point by rules, then yes, if you dont get it, you dont pass, if you get a point by left, you have to go by on the left... i get that.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Bingo!

Mark, this “race car/race driver” versus “DE car/DE driver,” and the idea that there would be differing rules and procedures for each, is absurd.

Clearly, the DP-02 had no intention of waiting for a point-by, was on a “hot lap” (most likely urged on by the team’s engineer and crew to obtain valuable information that would help them THIS WEEK at the same venue) and was COMMITTED to getting around the camera car using a lane that would be open WHEN he got there. He was not looking for any point-by...WTF?

The idea that you could remotely rationalize such an egregious breach of ACCEPTED protocol, in an event that Mark most likely was VERY clear in detailing the expectations in the morning meeting, is absurd and wrong.

I shudder to think of the carnage and possible injury that might have occurred had the camera car not been SO HEADS UP. I have seen people fly there and was there when Scott Liebler passed away in a car like the DP-02 but without fenders after contact in the same place.

Sheesh...
Peter, my only point (thinking it was not mandatory point by pass) was that the passing car , especially an experienced driver and faster car has usually already plotted out his path. sure the lead car can make a suggestion, but it might be too late, or not possible for the following car to follow that direction. now, if it is a rule of the group, sure , i agree . but if not, and while always dangerous to do something that the passed car is NOT expecting, it happens. ive had this happen countless times in race groups where the much faster cars are given a point by, and they dont follow it and pass somewhere else or on the opposite side.
again, i dont condone breaking point by rules, im talking about classes where there are no point by rules. and by the way.. i was also talking about point bys over the roof as being easily misunderstood. i agree, they are common too, but sometimes that can be a problem.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Yes, you are quite experienced at ignoring facts and pushing your agenda and obviously in your own little world.... and you just don't get it do you?? No POINT, no PASS, it's a friggin DE!!!
Gary, you dont get it either. i said, i was assuming it was an open passing advanced group of DE. stop being such a jerk. i have never seen , here out west, an advanced group without open passing. not so advanced, get open passing on certain straights , or point by rules.
you make such a point of it being a "DE". yes, in the biggest DE organization, NASA, they have 3 groups usually. Top group is open passing. when you have guys setting prototype race cars on track, that usually means OPEN group. if it wasnt.. you can see how I could have been wrong on that.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It puts the lotion on itself
Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It puts the lotion on itself
or it gets the hose again.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
or it gets the hose again.
WINNING
Old 10-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I'm not sure. This might be it.
Determining this ruling will take a LOT of research

Quick Reply: Better late than never point-by