Sponsored by:

Better late than never point-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
First if this red group needs point-by then they aren't ready for even open passing simulated race environment
I'm not sure of Chin's rules as i've never had the pleasure of attending one of their events but I am sure about how PCA treats open passing, and that's stated that a pass can occur anywhere on track with a point by. As far as a "Simulated Race Environment", those words should never be used at a Driver's Education event IMO..
Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

i watched it 3 times and i dont understand
why are you running right down the middle of the track if you are approaching a car you are passing. why are you expecting him to lift? drivers done lift generally, it is really to surgically let someone get through..... by staying in the middle of the track down the main straight, you get yourself in situations like you saw. a very fast car passing in the opening that is left. generally, i would advise just shading behind the miata on the right so he sees you in his mirror and you can see his hand signals. pass close to the car, on the rigiht in this situation. that way you done leave holes on the track where faster drivers wont misinterpret as openings for them to pass. just a thought i would "pass" on
i assume this is point by passing with Chin.

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Here's a blue group at Chin WGI excerpt. It's exacerbated by the failure of the car I'm passing to lift but my focus at this moment is on getting past the car in front of me, not the car behind me. When it passes me I'm not expecting it and... well, I'm happy to be a DE guy and I'm not interested in these shenanigans.

https://youtu.be/Y-iUjQF6mow
Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Haven't done Chin in a while, but I thought their top group was passing anywhere with optional points, same as top level at Rezoom (with whom I instruct). There are lower groups for those who are uncomfortable with that. One reason other outfits have started doing no-point passing is the prevalence of open wheel cars and cars with fixed or hard to remove window nets etc. that physically cannot point by effectively. If someone is being overly aggressive and dive bombing in a DE they get a talking-to or sit out, but that very, very, rarely is an issue.

Agree it should not be a "simulated race environment."
Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm not sure of Chin's rules as i've never had the pleasure of attending one of their events but I am sure about how PCA treats open passing, and that's stated that a pass can occur anywhere on track with a point by. As far as a "Simulated Race Environment", those words should never be used at a Driver's Education event IMO..
are you sure about red group not being open passing in most regions? (no point by)
simulated racing environments, DOESN'T mean what you think it means. it means an open group where awareness is important and open passing is not much different than in a racing environment. people pass where they think its safe and where the passed car is slower. (i.e. down straights, under braking approaching turns, etc).
with my 20+ years of doing this, point by is usually for the less experienced groups on a track day. (PCA, POC, PRC, NASA , and a myriad of smaller organizations or plain open track days)
Old 10-06-2017, 02:18 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
simulated racing environments DOESN'T mean what you think it means.

people pass where they think its safe and where the passed car is slower. (i.e. down straights, under braking approaching turns, etc).
Good Lord, Mark. Make up your mind!

If passing is permtted in the corners, past turn-in, THROUGH and off the corners, WITHOUT a point required, it's racing. Period.

The issue again is the confusion sewn by organizers and clubs of all levels suggesting differing protocols for passing, different areas for passing and the inclusion of stupid, self-aggrandizing descriptions like "simulated racing environment." All to make the "advanced" run group feel better, and superior. Sheesh.

It's either racing or it isn't. PLNewman was following the rules he understood and heard in the Drivers Meeting, and the DP-02 IMSA Lites car was following his understanding of an expectation that he was participating in a "simulated racing environment."

THIS is how BIG accidents happen...

Here's Chin Track Days Red Run Group Protocol: RED: Advanced solo. Our top classification includes drivers with years of experience and thousands of laps (typically 50+ track days at a minimum) at numerous different tracks. The driver's road course skills and traffic management are now instinctive, and the driver has superior situational awareness. Drivers at this level are comfortable with side-by-side conditions, passing anywhere on track, driving off-line, and promptly yielding to faster traffic. Qualification for the RED group of Chin Track Days requires an on-track driver evaluation by one of our senior instructors. Passing requires a point-by signal, and passing zones are unrestricted.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Last edited by ProCoach; 10-06-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Funny thing to me is this was an "open passing with point by group". How weird. If you are competent enough for open passing do you need to have a point by?

It just seems like another baby step of someone else trying to protect me from myself because they know what is good for me.

When will my guns be confiscated and 500hp cars become illegal? I for "lawn darts", BB guns for boys and Darwinism. I'm still here and I drank out of the water hose!
it makes no sense to me... if its open passing , its open passing. race environment. however, their maybe rules about dive bombing, and giving racing room. but generally, ive never seen open passing with point by. sorry, just seems foreign to me even with NASA , point by is the polite thing to do, but not required in the top groups.

Originally Posted by PLNewman
Here's the problem:

1- We're not professional drivers
2- We don't drive at speed every day
3- If we're all running at approx. the same speed, no problem
4- These prototypes arrive out of nowhere
5- They're so low, you can't see them
6- Drive your line and they'll go around you?
7- What happens when they pass where you don't expect them?
all understood. even running at the same speed, makes no sense. never is everyone running at the same speed. everyone wants to get around everyone else generally. the same speeed is how problems occure, based on my experience. if you are a lot faster than someone you run around them seamlessly.
yes, prototypes run around you like you are standing still, but if you drive your line, they are PLENTY aware of where to pass you with out you knowing it. just drive the line! so yes, drive your line, they will go around YOU .
your last comment.. "what hapens when you get passed and you dont expect it? " nothing.

maybe I should be voted off the porsche island but the 1/2 dozen+ or so DE groups I have run with all have open passing as simulated race environment. Point by in those groups is a courtesy. Different organizers have different rules. It just seems strange that once you get to an open passing level one would still need more hand holding. What is even more silly is you have hand holding for safety, I guess, yet allow 4000lbs cars run with 1500lb prototypes that are invisible. Clearly questionable safety and history of fatalities in other organizations when cars are so mixed. But that's fine and it does not effect me since that's not my bag...
+1 and more! well said.

Look, i got my start with NASA when the allowed anything with 4 wheels to run in a group... it didn't matter about the car, only the driver experience. the only incidents i reallly saw, was in the middle groups. (generally, it was group 1, 2 together with and without an instructor, group 3 ..... crazy! and then the experienced guys in group 4 , a mix of race talent and experienced dE)

Originally Posted by hf1
In my 11 years of doing DE's with PCA in ALL run-group levels I have never driven in a session where point-bys were not mandatory. In all meetings, with all PCA regions, and at all levels "open passing" meant that passing is allowed anywhere on the track (with point-bys still being mandatory) -- this includes sessions where >90% of the drivers were also racers.

Yes, mandatory point-bys may sometimes slow someone down and ruin their hot-lap but that's the "price" everyone in PCA DE events has accepted to "pay" in return for the vastly improved odds for avoiding contact.
I have never heard of mandatory point by in a open passing top level group with 90% race drivers. PCA with all run group levels means , red goup... red group doesnt have point by. ive done it out west and back east and never heard of such a thing for the top level group. maybe i wasnt paying attention in that driver meeting

Originally Posted by 177mph
How is a driver pointing to the left or a driver reaching his arm over the roof and pointing to the right confusing?

In all my years- I've never been confused about the direction a DE driver was pointing.
well, you must have never been behind a car with a window net and containment seat. generally, depending on the car, it is dificult to to an over the top car point by. much easier to point by, as seen through the rear window. out the window, its easy for the left point by, even if its only a finger. my "point " is that over the roof , is guys in street cars, in beginner groups where is is easy to do. fast cars approaching have a have a hard time seeing a over the roof point by which is a dangerous problem.. at a high rate of approach, they just see "something " out the window and assume it is a left point. personally , i think point bys should only be advisory and in the beginner groups that need passing cars to know that the passed car sees them and is aware.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:37 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

maybe i wasnt paying attention in that driver meeting
Hahaha! Yep, that's it.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:41 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

i watched it 3 times and i dont understand
why are you running right down the middle of the track if you are approaching a car you are passing. why are you expecting him to lift? drivers done lift generally, it is really to surgically let someone get through..... by staying in the middle of the track down the main straight, you get yourself in situations like you saw. a very fast car passing in the opening that is left. generally, i would advise just shading behind the miata on the right so he sees you in his mirror and you can see his hand signals. pass close to the car, on the rigiht in this situation. that way you done leave holes on the track where faster drivers wont misinterpret as openings for them to pass. just a thought i would "pass" on
i assume this is point by passing with Chin.
Why did I move off line to take a pass after a point by? That's your actual question? Why did I want an identical car to lift in a DE environment so I could complete the pass? That's your next question? Why did I not expect a car I didn't point by to pass me anywhere ever during a DE? That's your next question?

Gee, those are all tough.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:44 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 104 Posts

Direct from the PCA National DE site:

Expanded Passing Program

The Event Chairman may choose to implement the expanded passing program. With expanded passing, passing may occur on all portions of the track, including all turns. If expanded passing is allowed at an event, it shall follow these restrictions:

Expanded passing will ONLY be run in the Instructors run group which may include non-instructors.
All passing must be initiated WITH A HAND SIGNAL.
All signals MUST BE demonstratively clear and there must be one for each car.

So Mark - which PCA region is ignoring the national rules?
Old 10-06-2017, 04:05 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hahaha! Yep, that's it.
shame on me then!

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Why did I move off line to take a pass after a point by? That's your actual question? Why did I want an identical car to lift in a DE environment so I could complete the pass? That's your next question? Why did I not expect a car I didn't point by to pass me anywhere ever during a DE? That's your next question?

Gee, those are all tough.
you didnt read what i said. we know you need to make a pass by being off line, but dont go so far off line to give more than a 1/2 car width between you and the car being passsed (my advice)
2. you expected an identical needs to lift for you to pass. sounds like you only pass under acceerlation... yes, that doesnt work with idential car. usually under braking , the pass is more seemless.
3. why didnt you expect the super fast ferrari to pass? because you forgot you were at a race track? i dont know you are best to answer that.
next question.... are you serious?

Originally Posted by 177mph
Direct from the PCA National DE site:

Expanded Passing Program

The Event Chairman may choose to implement the expanded passing program. With expanded passing, passing may occur on all portions of the track, including all turns. If expanded passing is allowed at an event, it shall follow these restrictions:

Expanded passing will ONLY be run in the Instructors run group which may include non-instructors.
All passing must be initiated WITH A HAND SIGNAL.
All signals MUST BE demonstratively clear and there must be one for each car.

So Mark - which PCA region is ignoring the national rules?
i guess when you (or H1) said "all run groups" you were forgetting to exclude the race group, which is a run group on a given PCA weekend, and it doesnt use the DE run group rules. you said , "all run groups" and referred to a "red group" which is usually a race group, and you even said, "90% racers"
so i think you meant "all "(DE) run groups. sorry for that misunderstanding.

here is what HF1 said and why it seemed he was tallking about "all" run groups, because he said "all" and it was in capitals.
DEs are often matched with race weekends much of the time, and the race run groups are a "group" and are open passing.
Now, if racing groups are required to have point bys...that is news to me and i stand VERY corrected.

In my 11 years of doing DE's with PCA in ALL run-group levels I have never driven in a session where point-bys were not mandatory. In all meetings, with all PCA regions, and at all levels "open passing" meant that passing is allowed anywhere on the track (with point-bys still being mandatory) -- this includes sessions where >90% of the drivers were also racers.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:30 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Mark,

If you've actually become this stupid as to not understand these issues I do hope they find a comfortable chair for you to spend the rest of your days drooling on yourself in.

All my best,
DTMiller
Old 10-06-2017, 04:35 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 350 Posts

mark, DTMiller was at an DE. He didn't point the Ferrari by. That means the Ferrari doesn't get to pass. Period.

So, no. He didn't expect to get passed and that's why he didn't really leave room for that to happen.

In most DE environments, it's polite for the passing car (especially if it's the same power level or much more powerful) to lift to help facilitate the pass.

Maybe its been too long since you've run in a typical DE? Very different rules/environment compared to a race group.

I run with PCA, expanded passing, point bys mandatory. That means I can pass anywhere on the track, as long as I get a point by. Sometimes even with the point by, I decline to take it, based on where we are on the track.

I also run with NASA TT, which is open passing, point by appreciated. Although to be honest, in my region, everyone always uses a point by and won't barge past someone without it...

We don't have Chin out here, I've never run with them.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

i guess when you (or H1) said "all run groups" you were forgetting to exclude the race group, which is a run group on a given PCA weekend, and it doesnt use the DE run group rules. you said , "all run groups" and referred to a "red group" which is usually a race group, and you even said, "90% racers"
so i think you meant "all "(DE) run groups. sorry for that misunderstanding?
I've run with 7 different PCA clubs and NONE of then had a 'race group', they did have a Red Run Group and that group required point-bys for all passing. I asked two different CI's about the passing rules and both gave answers based on the same premise - insurance. The event is call High Performance Driver EDUCATION and if there is an incident as a result of no point-by AND the driver can prove they were allowed to not follow the point-by rule then the club will have an insurance problem - along with everyone carrying a track day insurance policy.

The only way to make this work is either; a) everyone follows the SAME point-by rules, or b) the race cars must be separated from the DE cars.

Sorry to be a prude buzz kill but I would rather see DEs and track days survive rather than watch this hobby/sport swirl down the toilet due to idiots being poorly organized.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Got it. makes sense and yes, it has been a long time since i did an a DE with those restrictions. generally, im a HUGE advocator of the point by, both in giving and reciving, in racing and DE. No question. visibility of ones intentions with hand or car actions is key to safety.

the main point of this entire discussion was to not so get so upset at someone that forgets, or gives a late point by.

certainly the Ferrari that blows by in a group that requires point by (as silly as i think that is for an advanced group) is breaking the rules and i dont subscribe to that.

Originally Posted by docwyte
mark, DTMiller was at an DE. He didn't point the Ferrari by. That means the Ferrari doesn't get to pass. Period.

So, no. He didn't expect to get passed and that's why he didn't really leave room for that to happen.

In most DE environments, it's polite for the passing car (especially if it's the same power level or much more powerful) to lift to help facilitate the pass.

Maybe its been too long since you've run in a typical DE? Very different rules/environment compared to a race group.

I run with PCA, expanded passing, point bys mandatory. That means I can pass anywhere on the track, as long as I get a point by. Sometimes even with the point by, I decline to take it, based on where we are on the track.

I also run with NASA TT, which is open passing, point by appreciated. Although to be honest, in my region, everyone always uses a point by and won't barge past someone without it...

We don't have Chin out here, I've never run with them.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Haven't done Chin in a while, but I thought their top group was passing anywhere with optional points, same as top level at Rezoom (with whom I instruct). There are lower groups for those who are uncomfortable with that. One reason other outfits have started doing no-point passing is the prevalence of open wheel cars and cars with fixed or hard to remove window nets etc. that physically cannot point by effectively. If someone is being overly aggressive and dive bombing in a DE they get a talking-to or sit out, but that very, very, rarely is an issue.
That is exactly how German trackdays are, no point bys. Typically two group, one beginner with passing on main straight(s) only, clearly defined. One advanced, open passing. Making the pass safe is the responsibility of the quicker car, communication and - at times - patience is key. In the two vids shown on page 1, just passing as the GT3 was way quicker than the other cars would have been safest, though I acknowledge that it is against the rules of that event.

Never experienced any issue, people let quicker cars pass sooner or later. I am personally a great fan of sooner, but most seem to struggle to accept that my cheap GT4 is quicker that their GT3 (it's not, but most people don't invest in instructors, different topic...). Anyway, that is not racing, so I can wait.

Last edited by Sven76; 10-07-2017 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Better late than never point-by