Sponsored by:

Better late than never point-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:32 AM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 113 Posts

You looked chill and didn't park on bumper - nice gentlemen behavior

They look like regular DE guys doing regular DE with a dude with fast cup car in it that would have required far more frequent and race level awareness to see

Non event imo
Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,195 Likes on 474 Posts

Was this early in day? I often find the first runs of the day are brutal while people are getting to know the cars in each other’s group. My RS is typically wicked fast on straights and during first few runs I’m often held up pretty bad as people are adjusting. However as day/weekend progresses people are finally comfortable with my closing speed and are much more considerate with very early points.

Your car car is freaking awesome and way too fast for those BMWs! Most probably aren’t accustomed to a car approaching at such a high closing rate!

Sorry- just read your post again- was late in weekend!

Last edited by disden; 10-03-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:28 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
Was this early in day? I often find the first runs of the day are brutal while people are getting to know the cars in each other’s group. My RS is typically wicked fast on straights and during first few runs I’m often held up pretty bad as people are adjusting. However as day/weekend progresses people are finally comfortable with my closing speed and are much more considerate with very early points.

Your car car is freaking awesome and way too fast for those BMWs! Most probably aren’t accustomed to a car approaching at such a high closing rate!

Sorry- just read your post again- was late in weekend!
i wouldnt classify it by car manufacturer. it was "race car" vs "streetcar" in a DE event. even an experienced driver might not give you a point by on such short notice. he might be chatting with a passenger. there might be an instructor in the car, etc.
pointbys are a luxury on a DE day. just put that in your head if you ever run a race car in one. its that simple.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You looked chill and didn't park on bumper - nice gentlemen behavior

They look like regular DE guys doing regular DE with a dude with fast cup car in it that would have required far more frequent and race level awareness to see

Non event imo
yep, fully agree with this comment as i have said.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:04 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

What do I know, but I would say if you take a Cup car to a DE it might not be unreasonable to expect you might get held up once in a while. Doesn't seem like a tremendously big deal. Next time I might suggest you find a David Murry or other event with more similar equipment.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by brownan
What do I know, but I would say if you take a Cup car to a DE it might not be unreasonable to expect you might get held up once in a while. Doesn't seem like a tremendously big deal. Next time I might suggest you find a David Murry or other event with more similar equipment.
He was in the top level of "DE". At that point there should be more situational awareness... I think that was the point of the OP's post... Speed factors aside, this level there should be a higher level of driving. Some clubs promote drivers too soon. Yes he was in a cup car but if you go to a Chin Event and run Red group, the driver awareness is fitting for top tier. Not so much with other clubs.

Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
Not trying shame anyone here (I assumed these cars would be unknown here) and I was quite calm at the time (and still am). I did not saying anything to anyone because I felt like a guest there, and as pointed out, lucky to be able to run (in the top non-instructor group). I did not ride anyone's tale or give the finger. Quite the opposite- most got a wave. Actually did say something to someone- I apologized to a guy later one day. He gave me a point by in 7 and I ran wide on exit and thought I'd chopped him off. He said not. Drove a lovely Alfa GTV 2000.

So what's my point? Not sure. It's more a sense of curiosity. I don't understand a point by at this unlikely of spots- twice- when there was much better earlier. That said, if they hadn't pointed at all I wouldn't have thought twice about it and wouldn't had even posted.
You were beyond patient... I feel your point to some here was taken out of context as I stated before.

Originally Posted by 38D
In a DE with drivers less experienced with higher closing speeds. Not really that uncommon IMO.
This was top tier at BMW... And high closing speed is a new norm with the arms race at DE's these Days... But yes, I agree the intermediate level is the worst for the discrepancy in ability & speed on the track at the same time...

Last edited by 007DT; 10-08-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:35 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
In a DE with drivers less experienced with higher closing speeds. Not really that uncommon IMO.
I think the solution is to sell the cup car and buy a Spec Boxster, plenty of time to see you coming!
Old 10-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think the solution is to sell the cup car to VR and buy a Spec Boxster, plenty of time to see you coming!
Corrected
Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Corrected
That IS a smoking hot looking Cup car isn't it.. I can't even think that fast...
Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
He was in the top level of "DE". At that point there should be more situational awareness... I think that was the point of the OP's post... Speed factors aside, this level there should be a higher level of driving. Some clubs promote drivers too soon. Yes he was in a cup car but if you go to a Chin Event and run Red group, the driver awareness is fitting for top tier. Not so much with other clubs.

You were beyond patient... I feel your point to some here was taken out of context as I stated before.

This was top tier at BMW... And closing speed is a new term with the arms race at DE's these Days... But yes, I agree the intermediate level is the worst for the discrepancy in ability & speed on the track at the same time...
Agree with all of this. Situational awareness deficits abound...
Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Why even bother with a point by?

As a counter-point to all of this.... same event... same run group (Red-Chin)... I was in a Spec Boxster and saw a red prototype approaching quickly as I turned into 10B (you can see him in the mirror). As I crested the hill (under the bridge), I pointed him by on the RIGHT (the preferred side). Suddenly he appeared in my LEFT mirror and I had to alter my line to keep from hitting him. This was a crazy weekend in the RED Run Group. Even the Cup Cars were having to give point-bys.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:32 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,237 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
This was a crazy weekend in the RED Run Group. Even the Cup Cars were having to give point-bys.
Man, you're slow! j/k

Here's a guy practicing for PLM this week... Surely the event chairs could have figured that out. This Elan DP-02 driver had no interest in following event protocol or anything else, other than to get track time close to a pro event (his race is this afternoon) that he was ostensibly going to run in. THAT is the issue, in this case, IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-04-2017, 03:35 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PLNewman
As a counter-point to all of this.... same event... same run group (Red-Chin)... I was in a Spec Boxster and saw a red prototype approaching quickly as I turned into 10B (you can see him in the mirror). As I crested the hill (under the bridge), I pointed him by on the RIGHT (the preferred side). Suddenly he appeared in my LEFT mirror and I had to alter my line to keep from hitting him. This was a crazy weekend in the RED Run Group. Even the Cup Cars were having to give point-bys.

https://youtu.be/W5kT5AJwpok
You have to understand DE mixed with race cars and race car drivers mixed with DE drivers. no one that races expects or for that matter can even see the "RIGHT Point by".. DID YOU SEE how fast he went by. the cars that are race cars, driven by racing drivers see your cars position and pass where it is the best chance of going by without incident. as long as you didnt make some sudden move, the Left pass was better and safer for that driver. he knew no matter what you did , you were moving to the right after the previous turn exit and he knew how much room and tiime to make the pass. trust me.. he never gave it a second thought.

if you really want a right pass, then you point through the car, hoping the approaching driver sees your hand through the rear window. with window nets, containment seats, and the proof that other ways are just better, "right" point buys just dont happen in racing , over the roofline.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:46 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Buh Bye Ya'll

Thanks for your input, Mark. You've finally convinced me I no longer need to subscribe to Rennlist.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:11 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
You have to understand DE mixed with race cars and race car drivers mixed with DE drivers. no one that races expects or for that matter can even see the "RIGHT Point by".. DID YOU SEE how fast he went by. the cars that are race cars, driven by racing drivers see your cars position and pass where it is the best chance of going by without incident. as long as you didnt make some sudden move, the Left pass was better and safer for that driver. he knew no matter what you did , you were moving to the right after the previous turn exit and he knew how much room and tiime to make the pass. trust me.. he never gave it a second thought.

if you really want a right pass, then you point through the car, hoping the approaching driver sees your hand through the rear window. with window nets, containment seats, and the proof that other ways are just better, "right" point buys just dont happen in racing , over the roofline.
WTF is this gibberish.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort

This is close to the dumbest thing you have EVER said.. close, but you've done better!

Quick Reply: Better late than never point-by