Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better late than never point-by

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:22 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Seriously! What kind of point by is this (pink group )? Is there someone else in the passenger seat (instructed group)?

EDIT:
Forgot to add pic
Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Frustration totally understood... but why shame those drivers with a video on the internet?

You were massively faster and I suspect they might just have a slower cadence for looking in the mirror at their level.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:51 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Frustration totally understood... but why shame those drivers with a video on the internet?

You were massively faster and I suspect they might just have a slower cadence for looking in the mirror at their level.
Actually, I agree. Are we going to start posting this stuff every time we don't get a point by at the appropriate location?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:59 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v4.0
Was testing some upgrades (paddle shifters and fender louvers) with BMWCCA a week before my last race.
Open passing point by group means low experience level HPDE.

I don't know what a CI does but if you came complaining to me I would say this is an HPDE group and you are lucky we let you test your racecar in this group. IMO if you are a racer have some respect for the people you are on track with. You need to treat racers as racers during a race and HPDE guys with similar respect. That means mind your closing speeds and understand their level. They could just as easily vote to keep racecars out of their event so they aren't hazed by your closing speeds or filling their mirros inches off their bumper. I think you were lucky to be allowed to be on track with them. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who also use trackdays and HPDEs to test our racecar development.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:03 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I think both drivers just didn't realize the speed differential was so high
They were also probably totally focused on what they were doing and checking their mirros only so often
Good talk for the drivers' meeting though
Old 10-02-2017, 06:20 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by breljohn
I think both drivers just didn't realize the speed differential was so high
They were also probably totally focused on what they were doing and checking their mirros only so often
+1
The OP was probably >10sec faster than everyone else in the group so some may not have adjusted their frequency for checking their mirrors, hence not expecting a car on their bumper when none could be seen in their mirror just a few seconds ago. This wouldn't have surprised me or bothered me too much if I was doing DE in a Cup with a group of street BMWs.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:34 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

car sounds GREAT!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

You have a point. Somehow these videos seem anonymous but in the end they aren't.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:33 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
You don't get it, Mark. Had our camera car "taken it" WITHOUT A POINT at the logical place (long sweeper right, Turn 9, and into the the LONG braking zone, entry of Turn 10A), HE would have been the one in trouble...

The purpose of talking to the CI would been to have the late-pass-signal driver be MADE more aware or at least apprised of the problem.
Really peter? "I" dont get it??........ how long have you and i been doing this? the guy was in a street car.. all signals were " I see you "and you inch up near him if you have/want to get by, and if its clear, you go , if its not, you wait as he did. what was the cost of that ? 1 second ? by the way, it was a DE day, right? you have a car, running down the fastest straight in racing (nearly) and you want a begging driver to be more timely on a point by.. maybe he didnt feel comfortable pointing him by... whatever the reason, it was a NON EVENT. to bring this to the attention, with video, is kind of silly in my opinion. but, sounds like it is worthy as maybe folks will be less critical of poiint bys and maybe some might be more aware. all good to see in the end!
Old 10-02-2017, 08:41 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1
oh shut it!

Open passing with pb.

The issue to me is, there was plenty of time and space to give a pb before turn in- why wait until we have much less of both. Just doesn't make good track sense.
look, you may be more comfortable in your car down that stretch. 130 to 150mph gets many people's attention and some are not using the mirrors as the approach the most demanding area of braking. so, i dont think you need to call the stewards on him, you might want to stop by his pit and say , i hope i didnt rattle you on that back straight. in the future, if you see me, give me a point by on the side you want me to pass by on to make it safer" something like that.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Wow. Could have been done seamlessly BEFORE Black Flag station, losing no time for BOTH drivers...

What group is this?
if i had a dollar for everytime i didnt get a point by! geezzzzzz
Id be driving that white and yellow rig!!

BMWCCA Peachtree.

Just seems unnecessary and making it less safe not more. Beginning of the weekend ok- - but by day 2 and 3- people are not using their mirrors as they should.
again, sometimes drviers in DE are not that comfortable ......and are not on top of their game , especially down a very fast straight. open passing ............folks are more aware. open passing with PB, = beginners = folks driving and still learning.
dont be so hard on them. i still see this all the time racing in practice sessions, and it doesnt bother me at all.

most of all , I dont think you understand your closing speed, he passed that one car over the prior straight and he was thinking , "whew" that was close.. glad im by" and you were not even in the picture. then all of the sudden you are in his mirror... by the time he saw you , he was well down the inside of the braking zone not knowing what do do with you , so he takes it politely very wide, and points you buy. you slip through. all good?? someone mentioned, 10-seconds faster? probably more like 60 seconds faster. to them they are walking and you may as well be in a jet airplane.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:42 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Perfectly said!
or in the words of VR "+1"
Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Open passing point by group means low experience level HPDE.

I don't know what a CI does but if you came complaining to me I would say this is an HPDE group and you are lucky we let you test your racecar in this group. IMO if you are a racer have some respect for the people you are on track with. You need to treat racers as racers during a race and HPDE guys with similar respect. That means mind your closing speeds and understand their level. They could just as easily vote to keep racecars out of their event so they aren't hazed by your closing speeds or filling their mirros inches off their bumper. I think you were lucky to be allowed to be on track with them. Don't ruin it for the rest of us who also use trackdays and HPDEs to test our racecar development.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 PM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet they both checked the mirrors at the begging of the straight and didn't think it's possible for a car to gain that much ground in that time (99% of cars at HPDE can't).

It seems that once they saw you, they let you by ASAP. Not saying it's an ideal spot or that they shouldn't have spotted you earlier, bus as few have said, it's just an HPDE and most cars are nowhere near your cars capability.

It would be different if you had to tail them through 3 straights and two corners.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Not trying shame anyone here (I assumed these cars would be unknown here) and I was quite calm at the time (and still am). I did not saying anything to anyone because I felt like a guest there, and as pointed out, lucky to be able to run (in the top non-instructor group). I did not ride anyone's tale or give the finger. Quite the opposite- most got a wave. Actually did say something to someone- I apologized to a guy later one day. He gave me a point by in 7 and I ran wide on exit and thought I'd chopped him off. He said not. Drove a lovely Alfa GTV 2000.

So what's my point? Not sure. It's more a sense of curiosity. I don't understand a point by at this unlikely of spots- twice- when there was much better earlier. That said, if they hadn't pointed at all I wouldn't have thought twice about it and wouldn't had even posted.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:52 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

In a DE with drivers less experienced with higher closing speeds. Not really that uncommon IMO.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

I did not ride anyone's tale or give the finger. Quite the opposite- most got a wave. Actually did say something to someone- I apologized to a guy later one day. He gave me a point by in 7 and I ran wide on exit and thought I'd chopped him off. He said not.
Good for you. I take it all back. Your short video made you look bad which clearly is not the case.

Quick Reply: Better late than never point-by