Sponsored by:

Should I get involved in a 918

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by niche
Perhaps a car starts becoming an "investment" when its value begins to surpass its initial purchase price and/or somehow it creates revenue for the owner. For example: it becomes profitable to rent to movie studios and weddings.
If its a mechanism by which one can preserve or grow wealth then it seems like it qualifies. I don't think the cashflow is necessary, its like a 0 coupon bond in that way.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:15 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^

I agree. In it's most basic form as long as it's not losing money or going up in value it can be considered an asset. If it's not losing money it's just a fun way to save. :-)
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
if i refine what I mean by 'investment' in these cases: can you look at the this type of car (or the CGT, F40, etc) as an actual asset in your overall portfolio. It is likely not a high growth or earning asset, but like art, it can be a reasonable place to put money if you are clever about it.
I think you can, as many art/car collectors do. But it would only work if you (1) make the right choices (or, as you say, are clever about it) and (2) don't drive it (which, for me, defeats the purpose of having it). But I'm not much of a collector of things. If I don't drive a car, I just sell it. And if I couldn't feel comfortable tossing her around and rotating her on her nose in a turn at the track, I don't buy it.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 AM
heynow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure over the long term the car will appreciate. Maybe not a 10 year horizon but a 15-20 like the McLaren F1. My sense is that people are kind of pooh poohing this car, but when the dust settles a lot of people will wonder why they didn't move on a 918 when they had the opportunity. In terms of why I am buying the car, I want to drive it. It would be the same with a P1 or a LaFerrari. These machines are meant to be driven .
To your question about affordability, the way I look at it is I want an awesome car, I think anything over 5% of your net worth may be to expensive for a car as the OPEX cost for owning it starts really eating into your budget... my 2 cents.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:40 AM
curious_t
Rennlist Member

Recent press and final production car images and specifications have me becoming increasingly interested in the 918 .. I will admit to being a major skeptic of the car when it was first announced because of both its weight and price but I am rapidly starting to think that it is in fact going to be the best all around vehicle of the current crop of hypercars. The main things that attract me are - usability / versatility - build quality - performance - exterior and interior design I am a CGT owner and could see the 918 complementing that car well, although the financial implications are such that it would be a significant stretch to keep both (in addition to the Singer I am building!). My biggest question is around the wisdom of getting involved as original owner vs seeing what happens in the secondary market. I fear a repeat of the CGT situation and original owners getting pummeled while wise buyers save tons of $ on pre-owned cars. I also wonder whether this car has the timeless elements that the CGT has or if it is the first of a string of hybrid supercars that will get progressively better over the next 10 years, as battery tech improves for example. In my situation it would be a major bummer to find myself reselling the car and losing 200k after a few years. Thoughts? The deal with the order is that I put down a 200k deposit that is refundable up until 6 months prior to the build date. The allocation I would slot into would be ~ Dec 2014 so I would have till June 2014 to figure it out, presumably test drive one, etc. My dealer told me there have been 500 orders thus far with 160 in the USA, so there are plenty of cars left. Should I just sit tight, wait for my Singer and see what happens after that? Or should I get clever and scrounge up the deposit soon assuming the positive press about this car is going to fuel faster ordering? Thanks for humoring my addictive personality.
Get one, you know you want one, and since you posted, you def have to get one now, or you will forever lose credibility on RL
Old 01-13-2014, 04:39 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Hey Superquant, please also post some on your new Singer, btw (not sure it goes here, but let us know where). It looks so cool and I am envious... Just a beautiful bit of engineering and craftsmanship (although of a different vein than the 918). Have seen many reviews on it (never seen one)... (btw, I will try to test the 918 for myself this Spring and then give my overall impressions for whatever they are worth. You've got to have a little bit of time with it though.) Cheers, Steve
Old 01-14-2014, 02:45 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Yeah, I would love to "get involved with" a new Singer. Then again, who wouldn't? Fantastic car from the sounds of it.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 AM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

if i refine what I mean by 'investment' in these cases: can you look at the this type of car (or the CGT, F40, etc) as an actual asset in your overall portfolio. It is likely not a high growth or earning asset, but like art, it can be a reasonable place to put money if you are clever about it. We can debate what percentage of the overall asset pie it deserves, but there is certainly a difference in my mind between choices there. When I put 335k into a CGT in 2010 I thought that it was a good value and I wouldn't be burning money if I wanted liquidity. Isringhausen is asking 440k for a car identical to mine now. I think I will always be able to get out of the CGT at a good profit and still use it. The same thing applies to a Ford GT I think. Hopefully the Singer too although I view that car differently. Clearly the smart money would have not put that coin into a car but dumped into a well timed market play but I'm trying to optimize my overall life utility function rather than pure expected returns. If I can get inflation + 4-5%/yr market value growth from an 'alternative asset' like a car, I wouldn't mind that at all for some portion of my overall asset mix.

Different story with an F12 or a 458 Spider at similar prices. With those you know what you are getting into in terms of the inevitable cost of ownership. There will be better faster in 3 years.

Relevant references for deep dive:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...nvestment.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorze...un-and-profit/

So insofar as the 918 might be classified as a relatively liquid, well priced asset at launch (and thats the big question) ..

If I may, I think if you really want to keep the value of your 918 investment in the future, you would seriously have to restrain yourself from driving it too much. I realize this is likely not going to be your DD, but it would, at least for me, be difficult to resist taking some nice long trips on weekends over the years. In that sense, this "market" is somehow different to art and antiques, where "use" is not such an issue. I would also think that, despite the lack of liquidity, supercars are like bonds, inversely proportional to interest rates. Maybe this is an alternative for your overall fixed income allocation (with an additional premium captured for little liquidity, which you might not need). But I'm sure you know all about it.... Best luck with whatever decision you take.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by br911
If I may, I think if you really want to keep the value of your 918 investment in the future, you would seriously have to restrain yourself from driving it too much. I realize this is likely not going to be your DD, but it would, at least for me, be difficult to resist taking some nice long trips on weekends over the years. In that sense, this "market" is somehow different to art and antiques, where "use" is not such an issue. I would also think that, despite the lack of liquidity, supercars are like bonds, inversely proportional to interest rates. Maybe this is an alternative for your overall fixed income allocation (with an additional premium captured for little liquidity, which you might not need). But I'm sure you know all about it.... Best luck with whatever decision you take.
Great rationalization! the best i've heard so far. unfortunately we are likely going to a rising rate environment which would make it a bad bet to buy into over the next 6-12 months probably!

No intention of sweating the mileage. I would use it prob 500-1000mi/yr, realistically. I mostly would like to not lose coin in the future adjusted for inflation should I wish to move to something different in the space.

will reassess in the summer i think ..
Old 01-16-2014, 01:12 AM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

And when you do, be sure to read the other Pete's excellent article on the 918 Spyder in the most recent issue of Pano.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 AM
maomao911
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a lot of talk on the forums from 918 supporters about how the battery tech will improve and the power and weight of the car are upgradable. Well, I made a visit to weissach in late 2013 as a prospect and talked to Frank Walliser about this. I can't remember the exact words but he made it quite clear that the amount of calibration required on this car to make all the pieces work together would not allow a future "upgrade" in horsepower nor a significant deviation from the current specification. Iirc, he did not reject the notion that the future replacement battery might have better technology but given that the car does not require a change of battery for 10 years, my own opinion is that it's unreasonable to assume that there are incentives to spend anymore r&d to further develop improved components for the car once the production is ceased.

As to my decision on the car after the visit, well I did not have a chance to drive one yet and I'm not ready to share my affection for the CGT with another super Porsche.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Very good point, maomao911 (and it seems obvious as you now state it). The batteries would have to have the same characteristics, but are perhaps lighter (which I guess Porsche would have designed not throw off the balance of the car) or last longer (with no other major effect). So it's like you need an updated "D" battery -- same voltage and heat characteristics. It's tricky too. Indeed, JAL is again reported to again having a few problems with the Dreamliner's batteries. Gives you more appreciation at the fine work that Porsche has again done here in terms of reliability and performance.

Btw, my CGT also remains firmly rooted into my being as well. But let's give the 918 it's full due.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:48 AM
curious_t
Rennlist Member

Great rationalization! the best i've heard so far. unfortunately we are likely going to a rising rate environment which would make it a bad bet to buy into over the next 6-12 months probably! No intention of sweating the mileage. I would use it prob 500-1000mi/yr, realistically. I mostly would like to not lose coin in the future adjusted for inflation should I wish to move to something different in the space. will reassess in the summer i think ..
Lame
Old 01-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

With all due respect, curious-t, superquant in his 385 posts have made a lot of valuable contributions and his deep appreciation for these rarified cars is fairly self-evident. So maybe you don't like financial reasoning potentially dictating the outcome here (lame or not), but it is a big bet on a car... So, very politely, have you ordered one?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM
curious_t
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephen Pitts
With all due respect, curious-t, superquant in his 385 posts have made a lot of valuable contributions and his deep appreciation for these rarified cars is fairly self-evident. So maybe you don't like financial reasoning potentially dictating the outcome here (lame or not), but it is a big bet on a car... So, very politely, have you ordered one?
He is my friend, I am teasing him

Quick Reply: Should I get involved in a 918