Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I get involved in a 918

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 284 Posts

I tend to think that history will judge the 918 as an interesting, but fleeting, transition to the next generation. It's clear that this car will seem like ancient history within ten years, older than the CGT seems today. The technologies that form the foundation for this car- batteries, electric motors and control systems are all progressing so quickly that far better versions will be available and the performance of this car will soundly eclipsed. However that doesn't mean that this car won’t be viewed as a special moment in history.

As funny as it sounds, I think by that point it might be recognized as one of the last scary supercars. Crazy, I know, talking to a bunch of CGT owners, but hear me out.

Ask yourself what traction control is going to be like within ten years? As electronics improve, speeds climb, sensor technology progresses. I'll tell you what I suspect: it's going to look a lot like the great Michael Schumacher (we're pulling for you) stepping in to save your *ss. We have three major car companies aiming to release self-driving cars before the end of this decade, and I guarantee you all that processing power and technology is going to be put to work so that auto manufacturers don't kill their best customers. So rather than a system that simply cuts power when a wheel slips, we're going to see systems that look at the road, look at the curbs, look out for deer, and let you get as exuberant as you want, but if you screw up will send every last joule available to their independent electric motors and 4 wheel steering to save your life.

On one hand this is going to be spectacular. It's going to let drivers experience far more of what the car can deliver than they ever could before. On the other hand, for those that think that a supercar should be scary, it's going to take something away.

This car, and the other current generation hypercars, might be viewed as some of the fastest and craziest of a dying breed of cars where the buck still stops with the driver. OK, so less so in this car than in cars we're used to until now, but compared to what comes next the 918 may still be viewed as one of the last great dangerous supercars. From Porsche, at least.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:02 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Polesitter
I think you raise a fair point to the extent the car is engineered for modular battery replacements with minimal modifications. As to other cars that have "outdated drive trains", yet remain highly attractive, they often have an intangible something that their replacements often lack. I think this is a nuance that may be different with the 918 and its hybrid systems. Successor technologies to the 918's will be superior. Successor technologies to a 1973 RS are definitively superior. The distinction lies with whether the predecessor with earlier technologies retains something special that the new technology lacks. Consider the mechanical purity of an air cooled flat six. Consider the sound and raw presence of a Columbo derived 12 cylinder Ferrari engine designed 50 years ago. Sure there are better technologies, higher BHP/liter, higher redlines, etc. Yet those mechanical masterpieces remain highly desirable. I have trouble finding a logical comparable in an electrical/hybrid type application that evolves rapidly (on a relative basis ). A battery technology or a high output electrical motor simply will not send a shiver down your spine. You won't pine for what it replaced. When a newer electrical component outperforms its predecessor, we won't be in this forum talking about how the new version has no soul and the old one was so special. The new one is lighter, more powerful, better....and there will be no Mezgeresque whining. It will be plug and play without reservation. Your Walkman has been long forgotten as you embrace your latest IPod and such will be the mentality associated with the rapid obsolescence of the 918s electric technologies. The question is, will all the rest of a true design, mechanical and technological tour de force be enough to carry the day (or decade) of value retention of this pioneering car.
Fantastic points Polesitter. You actually made me think about the "Tube" and "transistor amp" argument as I was reading, though of course people who like tube amps, love that analog "sound" (as you would point out). So I recognize your salient points. And I don't profess to know the answers. However, let me offer some things prospective 918 owners (and owners to be) may hold onto as well:

1) The 608 HP, 135 Kilo, 4.6 Liter, 9150 RPM race inspired belt-less, NA Flat Crank Engine maybe enough for some. There's a Youtube video of two 918's accelerating on a On Ramp in LA, and I mean they sound like a police, or evacuation siren/warning (literally) screaming "Get The Hell Out Of My Way" on the ramp entrance. Lol

2) And as Chris Harris (and others pointed out), those whining electrical sounds of the 918 spyder sound so cool (instead of Porsche making it more silent on the inside). When you combine those sounds with the engine, it become a symphony and tour de force for the senses. It's modern meeting "Ole Skool" in the best way/combination.

3) The 918 will be the first of it's kind. For those who like technology and appreciate history, it will be remembered. Just think how far we come already, from those who couldn't conveive of a Hybrid Supercar, and thought the 918 would be a disaster? And unlike a camera or even a computer; car's bring forward a more emotional and visceral experience. So we can't always compare watches, cameras and electronic equipment as if they were cars. I don't think young and teenage boys (as many of us probably were at the time), lusted and remembered the rest of their lives the first time they saw a Porsche 959 in a magazine or in person, as they did for their first Commodore 64; if they even remembered it. Lol.

Hell, Bill Gates and Paul Allen, had their 959's sit in a port for years, knowing they may never get to drive them (but may look at them, or scoot them on a private track). It was all "show and go" with them for so long. So technology (aka digital) can have an everlasting appeal, if it still manages to touch the senses, as cars can do, cause their still dimensional items we touch, feel, see, smell, listen to and live in (at least temporarily). This is why car collecting appears more prevalent and loved than, let's say Camera collecting, though cars are a whole bunch larger, more costly to maintain and acquire. So it doesn't matter if car A is faster, I still love Car B, cause "I have a memory of riding with it with my Friend" that first time. Items such as Camera's, can't emote those sense, unless you're a photographer. And even if you're not a photographer, you'll remember the pictures (or individuals), not the camera. I guarantee you, if many of us take a ride in a 918 for the first time, we'll remember the ride, and not even care about the destination (i.e., the photograph in this example).

4) Some may like the 918's timeless beauty (as opposed to the schizophrenic alien/fighter pilot-like "look at me" appearance so prevalent in most modern Hyper cars). I think the 918's a looker, than can be driven anywhere, antyime to any occassion. You could also take it the ball or gala, with out it looking out of place and too showy (cause it's so elegant). Not so sure you can take a LaFe to the ball, with out appearing as if you're trying to hard.

5) The fact that you can take the tops off and drive, adds to it's aural charms as well. This takes us back to the bygone era of simple roadsters, with man, air, exhaust and engine sounds (before crash regulations, emissions, computers, etc., grasped firm hold). You don't need a bigger, better battery to enjoy and understand the Roadster effect.

6) `I guess what I really meant Polesitter, when I raised that question was: If you like the performance, and all the qualities of the 918 now; then why not like just because some one else came out with a faster car? Look at the Carrera GT. It's slower now, but it's devotees still love it. Why? Cause it's a feast for the senses, of course.

Who's to say the 918's beauty, detailed interior, open air driving, historic significance/technology, performance, predictability (to push it closer to it's limits) and quirkiness (turbine wine, top pipe noises, silent mode, etc.), won't win over many in the future emotionally as well, regardless of what comes after? The car appears to have a personality already, while still being versatile. That's the important part. It appears built to last; thus bonding with it's owners on every trip, weekend ride, track day, or pimping down the main drag for the hell of it, or to rouse smitten onlookers!

After all, I'm not sure how often the P1 and LaFerrari, will be realistically driven or taken on a track? However, for those that own the 918 and drive it (like its' sibling Carrera GT), it may very well establish it's character, bonds and memories, with it's new prospective owners as well.

Good post Polesitter.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by kk2
Please buy one.. local residents would love to see it in the wild!
+1. Get the Singer too and bring each of them to Limerock even if for just a stroll.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

918 car level view from the side/rear profile:

Nice!!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:02 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1. Get the Singer too and bring each of them to Limerock even if for just a stroll.
I like this idea:-)
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
LOL

adding fuel to fire: should I sell the CGT to fund the 918 partially? looking over at the financials this seems like the only half sensible thing to do if I wanted to be original owner. my instinct says "no way" but I am interested in counterpoints if there are any.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:50 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
adding fuel to fire: should I sell the CGT to fund the 918 partially? looking over at the financials this seems like the only half sensible thing to do if I wanted to be original owner. my instinct says "no way" but I am interested in counterpoints if there are any.
Count me firmly in the "no way" camp. Unless you want to take it to go win One Lap of America, (and particularly if need a co-driver) in which case absolutely.

After all this probably is the fastest all around car for that type of event at this moment, which basically makes it the fastest real world streetcar, period. So if speed's important to you...

Edit: if you had any interest at all, you'd really want to hire King Leh Keen or someone like that. It'd be the experience of a lifetime, and you and the car would likely become legend. OK, so maybe not everyone thinks it's as cool as I do, but if you have the means... That and it's a nice excuse to get a nice car.

Last edited by Petevb; 01-03-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:49 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't sell the cgt. It's the last of its breed. Will be a legend in the future. Besides the 918 will never sound like a cgt.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:28 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

No way I would sell the CGT, no way!
Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

LOL

Joking aside, listen to your instinct. It's a lot of $$ and there will be a lot of 918s around. You'll probably be able to buy a 2yr old 918 with 900miles on the odo for at least $200k+ less than a new one. In the meantime, the CGT and the Singer should keep you busy. Oh, and bring each of those to Limerock, too.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 AM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarMaven

Fantastic points Polesitter. You actually made me think about the "Tube" and "transistor amp" argument as I was reading, though of course people who like tube amps, love that analog "sound" (as you would point out). So I recognize your salient points. And I don't profess to know the answers. However, let me offer some things prospective 918 owners (and owners to be) may hold onto as well:

1) The 608 HP, 135 Kilo, 4.6 Liter, 9150 RPM race inspired belt-less, NA Flat Crank Engine maybe enough for some. There's a Youtube video of two 918's accelerating on a On Ramp in LA, and I mean they sound like a police, or evacuation siren/warning (literally) screaming "Get The Hell Out Of My Way" on the ramp entrance. Lol

2) And as Chris Harris (and others pointed out), those whining electrical sounds of the 918 spyder sound so cool (instead of Porsche making it more silent on the inside). When you combine those sounds with the engine, it become a symphony and tour de force for the senses. It's modern meeting "Ole Skool" in the best way/combination.

3) The 918 will be the first of it's kind. For those who like technology and appreciate history, it will be remembered. Just think how far we come already, from those who couldn't conveive of a Hybrid Supercar, and thought the 918 would be a disaster? And unlike a camera or even a computer; car's bring forward a more emotional and visceral experience. So we can't always compare watches, cameras and electronic equipment as if they were cars. I don't think young and teenage boys (as many of us probably were at the time), lusted and remembered the rest of their lives the first time they saw a Porsche 959 in a magazine or in person, as they did for their first Commodore 64; if they even remembered it. Lol.

Hell, Bill Gates and Paul Allen, had their 959's sit in a port for years, knowing they may never get to drive them (but may look at them, or scoot them on a private track). It was all "show and go" with them for so long. So technology (aka digital) can have an everlasting appeal, if it still manages to touch the senses, as cars can do, cause their still dimensional items we touch, feel, see, smell, listen to and live in (at least temporarily). This is why car collecting appears more prevalent and loved than, let's say Camera collecting, though cars are a whole bunch larger, more costly to maintain and acquire. So it doesn't matter if car A is faster, I still love Car B, cause "I have a memory of riding with it with my Friend" that first time. Items such as Camera's, can't emote those sense, unless you're a photographer. And even if you're not a photographer, you'll remember the pictures (or individuals), not the camera. I guarantee you, if many of us take a ride in a 918 for the first time, we'll remember the ride, and not even care about the destination (i.e., the photograph in this example).

4) Some may like the 918's timeless beauty (as opposed to the schizophrenic alien/fighter pilot-like "look at me" appearance so prevalent in most modern Hyper cars). I think the 918's a looker, than can be driven anywhere, antyime to any occassion. You could also take it the ball or gala, with out it looking out of place and too showy (cause it's so elegant). Not so sure you can take a LaFe to the ball, with out appearing as if you're trying to hard.

5) The fact that you can take the tops off and drive, adds to it's aural charms as well. This takes us back to the bygone era of simple roadsters, with man, air, exhaust and engine sounds (before crash regulations, emissions, computers, etc., grasped firm hold). You don't need a bigger, better battery to enjoy and understand the Roadster effect.

6) `I guess what I really meant Polesitter, when I raised that question was: If you like the performance, and all the qualities of the 918 now; then why not like just because some one else came out with a faster car? Look at the Carrera GT. It's slower now, but it's devotees still love it. Why? Cause it's a feast for the senses, of course.

Who's to say the 918's beauty, detailed interior, open air driving, historic significance/technology, performance, predictability (to push it closer to it's limits) and quirkiness (turbine wine, top pipe noises, silent mode, etc.), won't win over many in the future emotionally as well, regardless of what comes after? The car appears to have a personality already, while still being versatile. That's the important part. It appears built to last; thus bonding with it's owners on every trip, weekend ride, track day, or pimping down the main drag for the hell of it, or to rouse smitten onlookers!

After all, I'm not sure how often the P1 and LaFerrari, will be realistically driven or taken on a track? However, for those that own the 918 and drive it (like its' sibling Carrera GT), it may very well establish it's character, bonds and memories, with it's new prospective owners as well.

Good post Polesitter.
Thanks for the various kudos guys. In all honesty, I haven't driven the car, so I will defer to those of you that have. And I readily acknowledge that several of the above points (items 1, 4 and 5 in particular), resonate with me. I confess that I am becoming increasingly skeptical of technological innovations that raise the performance bar, yet dilute the visceral driving experience. Such may not be the case with the 918, but my hunch is that on some level it is. That certainly doesn't mean it isn't a great car and it doesn't mean that potential relative obsolescence of certain systems will make the car undesirable. We are still looking at a gorgeous piece of design and engineering, a wicked flat crank motor, an open top driving experience and a lap time with no equals.

I recently took delivery of one of the first 991 Cups in North America. I purposely took my 997 Cup to the same two day test. I drove the cars back to back very aggressively in mock qualifying scenarios. I own them both and have no axe to grind here. If you put a gun to my head and said you can only drive one exclusively for the rest of your life, it would be the slower one with the older technology. (If you are bored see the post "what Santa brought on his Lufthansa sleigh" in the 997GT3 forum for my direct comparison of these two cars). I think there is some symmetry between this comparison and the CGT/918 discussion. Having driven the former, but not the latter, I would still go out on a limb and bet the 918 lacks the pure analog feeling of a CGT and I would be reluctant to part with a CGT if I were to lose that little something that makes my spine tingle, lap times be damned.

I suppose I need to get in a 918 soon and write a more credible post. Maybe some of my skepticism, particularly on the electrical systems, is misplaced and maybe the other aspects of the car are so exemplary that it just doesn't matter all that much if an element of systems obsolescence creeps in over the next decade. Regardless, keep the CGTs, except for the one I am looking for !
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 838 Likes on 384 Posts

CGT should be a "....cold dead hands...." car.

I think you'd regret that decision.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
CGT should be a "....cold dead hands...." car.

I think you'd regret that decision.
truth.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 617 Posts

should I sell the CGT to fund the 918 partially?
No way.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

N.O.

Quick Reply: Should I get involved in a 918