Should I get involved in a 918

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
Your comment makes no sense.
1. I'm not bashing Porsche. They're a great company and make great products. I have no interest in purchasing a hybrid supercar so I have no dog in this hunt so to speak.
2. My comments go to the resale question that was asked by the OP, which you agree with in your later statement. It's likely to have a drop in value in the near future. Looking at how quickly these sold speaks to the market for the car. This pool is not very deep, add into it the Ferrari, the McLaren, Veyron, Huyra, limited Lambos, etc and it's clear there are a lot of products vying for a relatively few amount of buyers.
3. Porsche showed the 918 in 2010 and started taking interest parties names. Ferrari and McLaren did not. I got a letter about the 918 in 2011. Of course it's good business to make sure you can sell it before you go forward but why is it you think the 918 has "ground breaking engineering" and the other two are just part bin Frankensteins. really?? The Ferrari will likely be more than 600lbs less than the 918 on the road wet.
4. Ferrari and McLaren sold their three hundred odd cars faster than Porsche sold their first three hundred odd cars. Enzos, F1s, F40s, etc haven't seen the kind of dips in value (from original msrp) we're likely to see in the near term on the 918.
5. Porsche probably should have built less cars like McLaren. Which is the whole point....The sticker on the F1 that I saw before delivery was nearly $1.6MM fyi, LaFerrari before options $1.4MM, with msrps in the $900s for most 918s, before discounts, the others are considerably more expensive.
Regardless, my comments were not meant as a condemnation of Porsche. With the exception of the hybrid part, I absolutely love the 918 and as you stated it will likely be a historical marker for the auto industry in the future which could drive values up. If you have one on order, good for you, it's a gorgeous car.
I'm not sure you read or understood my post entirely.
Note: My responses may be out of order to yours.

1) The P1 did not sell out quickly as you stated.

McLaren, recently announced they sold out their vehicles. So why do you think they "sold out quickly"? Only the LaFe did that. Porsche, claimed they had already sold 600 918's before McLaren's recent announcement of reaching 375 (based off of their track records, I'll believe anything announced from Stuttgart before Woking). Are you aware of this? So judging by that (i.e., your criteria); the Porsche had more interest. McLaren initially wanted to sell 500 P1's, but they couldn't. They didn't have "the interest", as you would say. It really doesn't matter to me, quite honestly. However, I just wanted to address your contention on the P1 selling out so fast (especially when you correlate that to interest). It didn't. Look it up.

2) I already explained why Porsche can't or shouldn't build 375 918's. No need repeating (Fresh Platform, technology, construction, materials).

Yes, the technology, engineering, materials and manufacturing in the 918 is considerably ahead of Ferrari and the P1. Absolutely. I think any fair observer would draw that conclusion. With all due respect to the other two cars, isn't it obvious with further scrutiny?? The engine alone on the 918 is a work of art, and in Chris Harris words 'It it one of the sexiest street car engines ever designed". He added (in coordinating the 918's sophisticated and far flung powertrain), "You realize, above all else, the 918 is the most complicated and impressive piece of car calibration ever achieved". And certainly he's not the only one echoing such superlatives. Steve Sutcliffe, from Auto Car, said the 918 has "23rd century technology", as an example. Evo's Richard Meaden added; 'just the technology to calibrate the regenerative braking to have a natural feel makes your head hurt trying to understand how all the technology makes it work'. And there's so much more. But I'll stop there.

3) As I said, the 918 was delayed for a year, due to a change in Porsche's management. In addition: Porsche did not over-sell the car in the beginning. They started low in the specs and performance figures, and have progressively increased them after additional testing. I guess that's just the Porsche way?

4) I highly doubt the Ferrari will be "more than 600 lbs less than the 918 on the road wet". Who says; Ferrari? They certainly didn't live up to their initial claims with the Enzo, did they? FYI: Motor Trend expects the LaFe to be 3400-3500 lbs. I guess we'll all find out soon enough?

5) As I stated, the 918 is a completely different business model than the other two vehicles; so Porsche was never going to sell 226 of them, like they did with the 959 20+ years ago. Rumor has it (from legitimate car mag media), Porsche lost $250,000 on each $250,000 959 at the time. From that point on, their management said "never again" for their next ground up technology leader-super car (GT1 was based off pre-existing race car for homologation purposes, so could be built in super low numbers).

6) I think the hybrid part, is one of the tantalizing aspects that makes the car so appealing and cool to many. It may not be everyones cup of tea. But expanding the norms of peoples viewpoints is one of the attributes great items and vehicles should do. I think the 918 will do that for many people; especially with is earth twisting 944 lb ft of torque, coupled with that screaming 9150 rpm NA 4.6 Liter, 135 kg 608 HP NA beltless engine.

As far as resale and purchase: I already gave my thoughts to Superquant. It's a personal decision, based off both hot button and practical criteria, for each individual considering it. I'm not saying the 918, or anyone of these vehicles is for everybody who can afford to purchase one. To each his or her own, in what ever they choose.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:24 AM
CarMaven
Pro

@Brake Dust

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus on the 918's appearance (as well as the LaFe and P1's).

Only time, and our preferences will ultimately tell (though I agree with you as well)? Lol
Old 12-31-2013, 02:19 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Was also a skeptic about the 918...until I drove it. I can now see where it would be very interesting next to CGT. Not a replacement, but a great complement. Electric-only range expands its usability considerably when it comes to maintenance costs. To go 1-20 miles in a CGT means that V10 is running, the clutch is being used, etc. Of course, that also means you get to listen to it...

Anyway, to your primary question: A lot of wise $$$ perspective here.

Should the 918 be viewed through a CGT prism? Or is the RS 4.0 phenomenon indicative? And of what as applied to the new-think 918? Will buyers denied a LaFerrari or P1 flock to the 918 as a bargain? I can't know, and not sure anyone can.

So I ask a different question: How valuable is it to you to get to spec the car exactly the way you want it? Are you likely to be satisfied with "common" specs? Only you can know. I know people who are really picky and people who are pretty okay with most specs—especially if they save money. If you are the latter, you'd probably be alright waiting. Caveat: I remain amazed by what we've seen in the used-Porsche marketplace of late...and 918 is new territory.

pete

P.S. The blue 918 pics shared above got me thinking about Spain again, and the Dark Blue Metallic car PAG had on hand. It was simply stunning...and I keep going back to it in the configurator. Dark Blue Metallic (or better yet, PTS 1980s Dark Blue non-metallic) with Brown interior, gray piping, standard wheels in gray, low-glare interior...that's my preferred setup. Having tried both versions, I would probably embrace the fact the 918 is a heavy car, skip the Weissach Pack, and configure it for maximum usage with nose lift, heat, etc. But there's no guarantee that even one will be made that way. If I was in the market and in your spot, that would bug me. Maybe you have your own ideal setup. Or maybe a silver or white or black or gray car spec'd out "logically" will work for you. In the end, that's all that matters.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:26 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 008
The Ferrari will likely be more than 600lbs less than the 918 on the road wet.
not a chance.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Instead of going back and forth over the same stuff, As they say, we'll agree to disagree on this. Time will tell once more of these cars are on the road and in the hands of purchasers.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:15 AM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Was also a skeptic about the 918...until I drove it. I can now see where it would be very interesting next to CGT. Not a replacement, but a great complement. Electric-only range expands its usability considerably when it comes to maintenance costs. To go 1-20 miles in a CGT means that V10 is running, the clutch is being used, etc. Of course, that also means you get to listen to it...

Anyway, to your primary question: A lot of wise $$$ perspective here.

Should the 918 be viewed through a CGT prism? Or is the RS 4.0 phenomenon indicative? And of what as applied to the new-think 918? Will buyers denied a LaFerrari or P1 flock to the 918 as a bargain? I can't know, and not sure anyone can.

So I ask a different question: How valuable is it to you to get to spec the car exactly the way you want it? Are you likely to be satisfied with "common" specs? Only you can know. I know people who are really picky and people who are pretty okay with most specs—especially if they save money. If you are the latter, you'd probably be alright waiting. Caveat: I remain amazed by what we've seen in the used-Porsche marketplace of late...and 918 is new territory.

pete

P.S. The blue 918 pics shared above got me thinking about Spain again, and the Dark Blue Metallic car PAG had on hand. It was simply stunning...and I keep going back to it in the configurator. Dark Blue Metallic (or better yet, PTS 1980s Dark Blue non-metallic) with Brown interior, gray piping, standard wheels in gray, low-glare interior...that's my preferred setup. Having tried both versions, I would probably embrace the fact the 918 is a heavy car, skip the Weissach Pack, and configure it for maximum usage with nose lift, heat, etc. But there's no guarantee that even one will be made that way. If I was in the market and in your spot, that would bug me. Maybe you have your own ideal setup. Or maybe a silver or white or black or gray car spec'd out "logically" will work for you. In the end, that's all that matters.
Thanks for the comments. I'm not too picky when it comes to my spec, I think any reasonably configured 918 in either black, white, or blue would work for me. No weissach as I want the sound system and as you said the car is heavy, seems no point in saving a few lbs. I'm settling on waiting it out and seeing what happens once the first cars hit the market, and staying focused on my Singer in 2014!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think if the 960 sounds like the 918 in race mode, i'd be sold on it. In Chris Harris' first ride along with an engineer, the sound the car made going from electric mode over to race mode was unreal. It was like awakening a sleeping dragon.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM
CarMaven
Pro

I think the standard 918 is best looking myself (in both it's exterior and interior); even if you were to add back AC and all the other extras, etc., in the Weissach Pack.

As it's been stated: The extra 88 pounds will make no difference, unless you're going to race the car regularly at the limits (and who would want to for such an expensive, non race car)? The car just looks so beautifully detailed in it's standard configuration (though the Weissach cars are no slouches either).

But that's just my opinion, and I would agree with you Pete. The blue, black, greys, silvers, and yellow are outstanding colors in the vehicle. Happy New Years guys!!

Here's another pic in a dark color:

Old 01-01-2014, 02:00 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

arggggh the car looks so good!!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:24 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
arggggh the car looks so good!!
+1

It sure does.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My stance at this point for the "BIG HITTERS" is to wait for the 918, McLaren P1 and the La Ferrari's to be mingling together before making your choice. That is unless of course you are a Marquee Devotee. I tend to be way more of a Porsche Guy.

These are the Three Cars beyond all others at the moment, excluding the Pagani Huayra, Ariel Atom V8 500 since I would not consider those cars do to the lack of refinement and other add-ons such as Air Conditioning, Radios and other bobs and bits you would consider from a "STANDARD" road card. And even at this moment now since I've brought that up I wonder how much of the "STANDARD" stuff the other cars will have, i.e. La Ferrari.

I really like McLaren's approach to "Who's" the Fastest at the ring. They rarely EVER list there times, just go out there and look to see if you can find how fast their street cars go around the ring - they just don't publish it. I admire that because all it is ultimately comes down to is a pissing contest and they are right. I liked how the Porsche 918 did a sub 7 minute but I for some reason do season that falling to the Italians and Ferrari when the La Ferrari is ready to go. And when the McLaren P1 does it, more than likely it will be some hot shoe doing it for some owner that bought car instead of McLaren doing it themselves. Trust me; they know what it can do around the Nordschleife.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

It is absolutely stunning in person. I saw (and sat in) a PTS oryx metallic white one at the Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA). Just unreal!

Attachment 792695

Last edited by zellamsee; 07-17-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 PM
superquant
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zellamsee
It is absolutely stunning in person. I saw (and sat in) a PTS oryx metallic white one at the Frankfurt Auto Show (IAA). Just unreal!

Attachment 792695
you are literally killing my soul by posting these pictures.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by superquant
you are literally killing my soul by posting these pictures.
Or adding life to it?

Forget the pics, the performance is mind-bending—even after CGT. Or especially after CGT. 50% more hp and more than double the torque, with big torque available everywhere, all the time. The real trick, though, is it's much, much easier to drive than CGT. I have yet to drive the 918 on a real road, however, so I can't speak to whether it's ultimately more satisfying than a CGT. But again, the performance is mind-bending. Or, you can just drive it like a Prius or a Tesla Roadster. To work.

Yep, I was a (silent) naysayer on the 918. I think I've been converted. It's a ground-breaking car that could have easily been disastrously disappointing to drive.

pete

P.S. Okay, I'll admit forgetting the pics is hard to do with CarMaven and zellamsee doing you in... I agree the 918 looks pretty amazing in white (now think of that setup with the standard wheels in dark gray...), and I have a feeling the 918 may even look good in red because red for some strange reason will also unify all the lines/vents in the sills, which is the only thing I struggle with about the 918's styling in silver and light gray because the ends are so beautifully sculpted. I'd still stick with Dark Blue Metallic among the standard colors, though, or Dark Blue non-metallic or Irish Green if PTS.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:57 PM
zellamsee
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Oh, so hard to forget the pics. I am attaching another one I took at the IAA. But, Pete is right -- the performance is just mind-bending. I was a passenger in a prototype about a year ago, and the ride (on the track) left a lasting impression. I have never experienced anything like it -- the acceleration was unreal (and the prototype at the time was rev limited to 6k or so) and the car was so flat in the turns. Just incredible.

Attachment 793016

Last edited by zellamsee; 07-17-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Should I get involved in a 918