Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

FIA 981 GT4 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 07:53 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FIA 981 GT4 Cayman

We are working on different ratios. Although the stock PDK is already pretty good
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

This thread hurts to read in its entirety given the information on here in regards to the upcoming car, where it will be raced, etc.

What simulator are you talking about? Spencer never did a 2:12 in any Cayman and in fact, no Cayman has ever done a 2:12 at Sebring. Spencer *** dominated GTB1 with a PDK 3.4L running 2:17s. I've been over this data repeatedly given our visiting there half a dozen times with our 3.8L PDK 987.2 car this year. Someone did a 2:14 but that car is a long ways from the grip levels and power levels of any cars discussed on here. You would need a Cup motor to do that.

Neither the current 3.8L Cayman, nor the pending race car are capable of that sort of lap time there.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:36 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

We were told by an engineer at Speedsport that spencer did that at the David Murray prior to the 48h. We are talking Pumpelly. Looking at FIA GT4 spec cars that have been at Sebring before with the current BoP in place I think a high 13 is realistic.

What gives you such great pain in this thread?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
We are working on different ratios. Although the stock PDK is already pretty good
You've come up with synchros and bearings and other service parts to go with them? That will be a good market for you then. I won't touch inside that gearbox. With no support from Porsche on being able to rebuild them there's a lot of financial jeopardy there in cracking the case. I could see those quickly getting Cup Car sequential expensive to maintain if one constantly has to buy a new crate gearbox form Porsche to keep racing them.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

We have one box in Germany at the moment with custom gearing. The main point why we are tentative with it is as you said the potential for failure.
We want to keep the car maintainable at a much lower level than a cup car. So we are thinking long and hard about the gearbox
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Here are some pictures of the cage

Old 07-29-2015, 01:52 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are these being built in Germany or Florida?

Looks like the pictured cars are being made in Germany.... so if cars are made in Florida @ KA wont they be different with different cost?

Looks good but I guess we won't know until they are actually running in the USA and we can see how it holds ups.

John from BGB has been building and running Cayman race cars now for quite a while and with quite a successful racing in CONTI so its what i call a proven platform and no one has to be the guinea pig.. i have been one and its not fun or cheap.

There are very few shops out there than can actually build a factory quality car, and just like the factory after its built it needs to be tested and refined. With a factory car its on the factory's dime, with a privateer car its always on the owner/buyers dime.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:01 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

We get the Tub with Cage and Airjack points welded in from Germany. The guys that we developed this with have been doing this since 1986...
This car is more than proven already. Having run and won in the Endurance Series, 24h Nurburgring, FIA GT4 etc.
John certainly is a known quantity that puts out a top tier product and I am sure nobody would argue that but that doesn't mean that he is the only one.

Besides this is far from a Conti Car....
Old 08-05-2015, 07:41 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Call it a 'vanilla box' car. I'm going with it being something like 90-95% identical to the street car with the addition of safety equipment like a roll cage, race seats and harnesses, etc.

"They" can be a lot of different people. When I say "they" I mean that Porsche Motorsports will not be homologating the car, just like they didn't homologate the 987.2 in GT4. But someone did and they race there. If "they" are going to homologate it, it will be someone like Marius, who brings a fully built and developed car and tries to get it approved. Of course they aren't going to show up with a non-competitive car.

We also need to keep in mind that the various arms of Porsche Motorsports around the world aren't all ruled by a single edict on something like this. Here in the States we pretty much don't have an equivalent of GT4 FIA racing. We've got IMSA Conti GS and World Challenge GTS. The car, in various forms, again developed by the teams just like Goldcrest has developed and homologated Jack Baldwin's car for GTS, will very likely find it's way into pro racing here. What PMGB or the guys in SE Asia do might be very different than here.

But what I'm hearing is they (in this instance 'they' are PMNA) fancy this car more of a gentleman Club racer car. It could find a one make home in Pirelli Driver's Cup or with the HSR guys in Mission/Stuttgart Cup. What is being said about Canada makes sense because their GT3 series isn't anywhere near as populated as our series. They don't even have multiple GT3 series like we do. Here, IMSA GT3 is the "pro" series and PDC and Mission are more "am" even though there is some overlap of teams and drivers across the series.

katmeho,
As I said, I don't know that there will be a ton of new "motorsports" parts on these cars. It's already a parts bin car with a bunch of GT3 stuff bolted on. Is PMNA going to sell their cages through the dealer? Doubtful. What exactly is on the car and will get part numbers and distributed through the dealer remains to be seen. I think it you want to hot rod your GT4 street car, the aftermarket is going to better serve you with go fast bits than the mothership.
Thank you for the clarification. I'm not that familiar with the various classes in the US and I think some confusion was due to people calling the car a "GT4" which as far as the UK and Europe, means an FIA Spec GT4 car.

I could see a market for a one make Gentlemans Cayman series if supported by Porsche.

Originally Posted by KA MOTORSPORT
So finally we have finished the last build and are able to talk prices.

The final version of the car is build from a raw chassis up.

Parts List:

-Complete 991 Cup Front end (bodywork, radiators etc )
-991 Front Brake assembly
-991 Cup Sway Bars
-991 Cup uprights
-Front to Rear adjustable brake bias
-Bosch ABS Unit
-400bhp Porsche DFi engine, New intake, throttle body and flashed ECU, new oil channels
-Porsche dual clutch GB with adjust gearing and new Diff
-Carbon Fiber Doors and Panels
-BBS 3 piece wheels
-PCCB rear brake calipers with steel discs
-Purpose build lightweight motorsport wire loom
-Complete Bosche sensors for Data analysis
-Motec CDL3
-Paddle shift steering wheel
-FT3 Fuel cell
-Airjack system
-991 Cup power steering system
-991 Cup Rack and Pinion
-KA Motorsport Race exhaust

The total price for the Car ready to go is $142,000.00

It is legal to run in any GT4 series. Also in any club racing scenario as well as Pirelli World Challenge. This is priced well below other FIA GT4 options.
The Porsche GT4 version of the Cayman will be considerably more.
That's a nice spec and what I'd expect for a competitive GT4 car.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM
Texas Proud Todd
8th Gear

I am in the market so these posts are interesting to me. But you remain unclear when asked:

Are these being built in Germany by someone else and imported to the USA for KA to sell or are you building these in FLA? Are you a middle-man? Who is doing the actual building?

Whoever is building, if this is the first Cayman build-out it stands to reason there will be more than a little to sort out. Shops like Deman or BRS or MWR might have a "sorted out" advantage since they've built many of these already. Why should I consider buying yours?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:41 PM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Texas Proud Todd
I am in the market so these posts are interesting to me. But you remain unclear when asked:

Are these being built in Germany by someone else and imported to the USA for KA to sell or are you building these in FLA? Are you a middle-man? Who is doing the actual building?

Whoever is building, if this is the first Cayman build-out it stands to reason there will be more than a little to sort out. Shops like Deman or BRS or MWR might have a "sorted out" advantage since they've built many of these already. Why should I consider buying yours?
Todd

The chassis comes from Germany with the cage welded in. Than we here on Florida assemble the car. Engine and gearbox come from Germany as well.
These cars are already running successfully in Europe and are extremely well sorted having run in various 24h races as well as the FIA GT4 championship.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Texas Proud Todd
8th Gear

Thanks for the clarification - I will be on the lookout for your final product.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:08 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Marius what engine reliability upgrades have you done?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:26 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Where would it run in PWC?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:38 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
Where would it run in PWC?
PMNA wont tell us but during the VIR conti race broadcast while they were talking about the ST class they mentioned the new porsche gt4 running with IMSA next year.

Time will tell.........

Tick tock.....

Quick Reply: FIA 981 GT4 Cayman