Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

FIA 981 GT4 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:51 AM
KA MOTORSPORT
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our Car is slated for PWC GTS. According to officials at SCCA the rules will be steered more towards FIA GT4 next year.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by James-GMG
From my conversations, the Cayman "Cup" base car from Porsche Motorsports will be eligible for PWC TC with major restrictions and then there is a potential option to build that car "up" to FIA GT4 specs to compete in PWC GTS using homologated parts only.

Porsche will be very strict about what they allow to run above and beyond factory approved modifications.....

We have 1 car approved to run in PWC TC and have one more available.
You sure about that James? That would be bizarre rule making. TC is currently the base model 2.9. GTS runs 3.8 swapped cars. GTS is a more logical place for the new cars unless WC is totally gutting the current system and starting over.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That's the plan as the TC Cayman would run AS DELIVERED plus a massive restrictor and huge amounts of weight.

Then to run in GTS, it would have to be upgraded to the GT4 package but that is still up for discussion.

None of this has been confirmed but my meetings/discussions have it going in this direction......

We are looking to run all 3 in PWC next year......GT3R, 991 Cup and Cayman.
How many GT4 "cups" are you taking? I would enjoy stopping by to take a look once delivered.

Cheers,
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

That's the plan as the TC Cayman would run AS DELIVERED plus a massive restrictor and huge amounts of weight.

Then to run in GTS, it would have to be upgraded to the GT4 package but that is still up for discussion.

None of this has been confirmed but my meetings/discussions have it going in this direction......

We are looking to run all 3 in PWC next year......GT3R, 991 Cup and Cayman.
Wow. Even with a restrictor that car will be clubbing baby seals. Hell, I would argue the 2.9 outclassed the field this year and should have been burdened more. I can't even imagine what increasing the displacement by 1/3 is gonna do. I wonder how the Civic, Miata and Jetta teams will feel about this new swimmer in their pool.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:30 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

But just know, the Miata, Civic and Jetta are nothing close to stock and all are heavily modified.....
Yeah, I know. That's pretty common knowledge. Some of those engines have to be rebuilt after every weekend. But even with that in place, I just don't see the teams running them letting a car with nearly twice the displacement and RWD coming in without some serious squaking and politicking going on. Maybe PMNA has the rulemakers in their pockets, but I'm just skeptical that it's a done deal.

This is totally OT, but I would assert that the Miata and Cayman don't belong in TC in the first place. Touring Cars are FWD. Mazda should be running 3s and Porsche shouldn't even have a player in the class.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:30 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts

This car being allowed in TC is not what we have been hearing about the porsches in that class. The cayman this year is imo one of the weakest cars in the class right now. We have been talking to WC a lot about our rear tire issues. What they are telling us is they want to take weight out of the car and add a restrictor to put the power to weight number back inline with what they want for TC. Allowing a 3.8l car in Tc doesn't make a lot of sense but then again they allow a nissan 370z and a v6 mustang right now. The car should be a good fit in gts as it is. The nissan runs a restrictor, smaller tires than gts spec and more weight. I guess the cayman could be a similar set up but I'm not sure why you would choose to run the car in tc spec when it theoretically will be great for gts. The mustang is the heaviest car in the class now at 3400 lbs. The cayman "cup" would have to carry a huge amount of ballast to the heaviest car in the class. Probably 500 pounds at least. Stranger things have happened I guess.

If the rumor is true that they are going to have a displacement limit in GS class next year the cayman "cup" might be great car for conti. The current z28r and 350r mustangs are hard to beat unless you have rum bum money.

Quick Reply: FIA 981 GT4 Cayman